Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-EU trip payment currency quirk

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Ex-EU trip payment currency quirk

I have an upcoming ex-EU for which the balance payment is due today.

In MMB the balance to be paid shows correctly at €3,300.

However when I click through to the payment screen where I enter card details it shows as £3,300.

I'm a bit concerned as my card is euro based with hefty fx fees. If it is charged either the correct balance but in £ or £3300 it'll end up costing me.

Does anyone have a partially paid booking they could check to see if they get the same? You obviously wouldn't have to complete the payment screen. Or is this a known glitch?

Now, it may all be rather moot as I just tried doing a partial payment for €/£30 to see and the transaction was declined because apparently my card is not registered for secure online transactions. But it's the same card I paid the deposit online with a few weeks back.

Any ideas other than trying a different card?

Bremen is shut till Monday, the Gold Line wouldn't touch a holiday booking and the UK Holidays line weren't very helpful, choosing to grill me on why I was starting my trip in AMS when my account is registered in the UK, which seemed a bit nosey to me.

​​​​
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:40 am

I can’t answer the €£ issue but I did notice when inputting my card details that the card type defaulted to Visa Business or something ridiculous like that at point of submission.

So next time you try inputting card details before pressing enter double check the card type is correct.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR
Give it a few more days and £3,300 will probably be cheaper the way we seem to be going...

Last edited by crowe; Jan 19, 2019 at 5:44 am Reason: sp
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would call in the payment and thus assure during the read back that it is handled properly. BA should waive the phone booking fee in a circumstance where it cannot process the payment online (properly).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I paid off the balance of an ex-EU around a week ago. Balance was around SEK13000 and almost had a heart attack when the screen popped up with €13000 - around ten times as much! Debited ok from my account though, so all is well and blood pressure is back to normal.
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I would call in the payment and thus assure during the read back that it is handled properly. BA should waive the phone booking fee in a circumstance where it cannot process the payment online (properly).
I can't call it in until the Bremen office opens on Monday. Crazy that an airline / holiday company restricts people to rather dated business hours.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
I paid off the balance of an ex-EU around a week ago. Balance was around SEK13000 and almost had a heart attack when the screen popped up with €13000 - around ten times as much! Debited ok from my account though, so all is well and blood pressure is back to normal.
Thank you! That's really good to read.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Thank you! That's really good to read.
If EDIwanderer had the same issue with a diffferent currency, I wonder if this is down to what's selected in the site settings [i.e. using the default currency] - if you can change it with that you're probably safe. Or you could find the lowest value currency and hope for the best...!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

For anyone finding this thread in the future, I persisted with my card, paid the amount shown (incorrectly) as £3,300 on the credit card screen and subsequent payment confirmation screen and can confirm that my card was charged correctly 3,300 so no addition forex fees for me. Thanks to EDIwanderer for giving me the confidence to try it.

I will be complaining to BA about it, in the faint hope it might go into some bug fix list somewhere. Yeah, I know.
EDIwanderer and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:35 pm

That is pretty poor. You might think that, of all things, the currency would be shown correctly. Glad it worked out nevertheless.
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
I had the email receipt for a change fee show the wrong currency (CHF vs GBP - can't immediately remember which way around). It was manually requested but looked just like the normal ones.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This is a well-known IT glitch. Not to worry about.
For example, when I inquire on the site about an itin ex-EU and ask to send it by email, the email automatically send the price in GBP although is means EUR (your 3,300 example).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.