Seat shifters - whats going on here?

Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Seat shifters - whats going on here?

One window seat blocked on 777 out of LGW. Half full cabin.

Neither check in on Lounge service desk could shift me into window seat. Said speak to Cabin Manager on boarding whos try to help.

On boarding theres someone sitting in that seat. Its still blocked on EF and crew iPad.

Seat next to it is marked Staff. CM speaks to them and they say theyve been moved from a middle pair.

Apparently nothing can be done.

So Im stuck with a crap seat.

CM doesnt really know whats going on.

Any my ideas whats happened?

and why does BA block so many seats on a half full flight? My guess is to hold them for late booking status pax like me?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Stuck with a crap seat? You've got a choice of half the cabin ?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
DYKWHI ?!?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Well, choice of the middle seats anyway.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:49 am

Maybe the seat was blocked by staff?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’d take two middle seats on my own and be perfectly happy - both dividers up job done
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I imagine our intrepid traveller was in such a rush that we didn't get many details so couldn't check what was going on. From the timing it could have been the JFK service, which would be G-VIIO and that's one of the refurbs. Assuming on assumption here, but if it was Club World there are just 8 window seats since there are only 32 seats in CW. Hopefully the CSM sorted something out but I wouldn't say no to a middle pair, and 4E/F would be good seats in my book - this is the one on the only bulkhead (since CW is one cabin) and has direct aisle access.
T8191, Newly Wed, mikeyfly and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I got an email earlier this morning telling me I'd been seat shifted. Expected the worse as I've got some CW (64K on a 747 etc.) bookings coming up, but just moved from 10a to 24a on a DUB-LHR flight.
At least I ended up remaining in an exit row rather than some random seat, although I've someone in the aisle with nearly every other seat empty (including 3 exit rows).
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:57 am

I wonder if it's got anything to do weight distribution for take off. And then afterwards you can sit wherever you like.

or is that an urban legend?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I wonder if it's got anything to do weight distribution for take off. And then afterwards you can sit wherever you like.

That happens a lot, usually when we are coming to the end of the season. We regularly are told not to move anyone on lightly loaded flights . They are free to move seats in the cruise phase but have to sit in thier assigned seats for take off and landing. Whether it happen here, no idea. (I don't work for BA just another airline)
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SonTech
That happens a lot, usually when we are coming to the end of the season. We regularly are told not to move anyone on lightly loaded flights . They are free to move seats in the cruise phase but have to sit in thier assigned seats for take off and landing. Whether it happen here, no idea. (I don't work for BA just another airline)
I concur: I took a fairly empty 767 to ARN last year, sitting in the Y cabin window seats. As soon as the tannoy came across "cabin crew that's boarding complete" several people leapt up and moved, only to be politely scolded by crew who asked them to return to their original seats until after take off.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by SonTech
Seen some QR seatmaps recently going out with the entire front part of Y blocked and everyone shifted into the rear cabin...
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I concur: I took a fairly empty 767 to ARN last year, sitting in the Y cabin window seats. As soon as the tannoy came across "cabin crew that's boarding complete" several people leapt up and moved, only to be politely scolded by crew who asked them to return to their original seats until after take off.
I'd always thought that was in case the worst happened, and would aid identification.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by SQTraveller

Ive been on a Flybe flight before now, on one of their DH8s, and the crew were adamant that no-one should move from their assigned seats at all (except for the loo obvs) due to weight and balance issues
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:33 pm

Back in the days when seat assignments were done at the checkin desk by selecting sticky tabs from a diagram of the aircraft cabin and attaching them to your boarding pass there were rules displayed on the diagram regarding the distribution of passengers around the cabin. After 50 years or so I cannot remember the details.

Passenger weight distribution can be important, even in the cruise. I recall a student charter flight where most of us had gathered around a guy with a guitar, who happened to be sitting towards the rear of the cabin. After a while a message was relayed from the flight deck asking if some of us could move forward, as the weight at the back was affecting the trim. But that was on a Super Constellation in 1960 and similar considerations may not be so important on more recent types.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.