Wiki Posts
Search

Ba flights booked through aa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold,honours diamond,spg Platinum,Marriott Platium
Ba flights booked through aa

I booked Ba flights through aa from Inverness to lax via jfk in business is there a way to upgrade to first using avios on the Lhr to jfk flights. I have used my Ba number when booking.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It’s not possible to UuA your booking since you booked through AA. To UuA a booking it must be on a BA issued 125-... ticket.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold,honours diamond,spg Platinum,Marriott Platium
Thanks for your quick response
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thank you for this. I was just going to ask the same on an OTP-PHX run booked on aa.com. Cheers
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:02 am

There is a summary in post 6 of the TP run thread which hopefully helps clarify what bookings you can UuA

Upgrading Using Avios (UuA) & Gold Upgrade Vouchers (GUF)
A quick note on doing UuAs is that you can do these for exEU itineraries (or you can apply a GUF if you have any). The following restrictions for UuAs apply though:

Summary guide to bookings which can be upgraded with Avios:
  • BA issued tickets (can include other carriers) ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with only BA flights ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with other carriers
  • Tickets issued on non-BA stock
The rules have previously said that the TA has to issue the ticket in the country of your BAEC membership as well. However, apparently this is not enforced consistently so hopefully this shouldn't be an issue. See these two posts for more information on that point https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29280847-post33.html & https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29282377-post38.html

A BA Holiday booking (flights & hotel) is UuA'able and treated as a TA booking, so a booking including non BA flights could not be UuA'ed. Also a BA Holiday booking which was made using a TA can not be UuA'ed.

Note that even if booked direct with BA on a 125-... ticket you can't UuA BA marketed and AA operated flight. The BA flight must be both BA marketed and operated.

There is more information on UuA'ing TA bookings here.
THEOBCMAN and argonath like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
shame they cant align this yet as delta/virgin make it work.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
I now try to avoid AA metal because even on 125 ticket stock BA refuse to upgrade. They blame it on “Married segments” and AA metal in booking.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by DreamTrip
I now try to avoid AA metal because even on 125 ticket stock BA refuse to upgrade. They blame it on “Married segments” and AA metal in booking.
AA flights on a BA ticket are upgradable with avios, but only from a very limited number of selling classes. Your AA flight would need to be in J, C, D, W, or Y selling classes in order to upgrade with avios.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Can I upgrade a BA(125) ticket booking with Avios on IB A350 metal MAD-LHR ??
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by VSLover
shame they cant align this yet as delta/virgin make it work.
DL/VS - DL has a significant investment stake in VS where there is probably a financial reason to make it happen as frequent flyer currencies will matter to them.

AA/BA - AA doesn't have an interest in Avios nor does BA in AAdvantage miles. Fare paying results is all that matters due to the joint venture agreements in place across the Atlantic.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
If your Economy booking class allows you to upgrade and redemption space is available then I believe this is possible.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
AA flights on a BA ticket are upgradable with avios, but only from a very limited number of selling classes. Your AA flight would need to be in J, C, D, W, or Y selling classes in order to upgrade with avios.
I was not clear, I meant that BA will refuse to upgrade a BA leg because there is an AA segment in the itinerary. For example I wanted to UUA LHR-LAX from T to U/J but was declined because my ticket was GOT-LHR-LAX-SAN all ba legs except LAX-SAN that was AA.

Blamed it was a "married segment"
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:43 pm

I was not clear, I meant that BA will refuse to upgrade a BA leg because there is an AA segment in the itinerary. For example I wanted to UUA LHR-LAX from T to U/J but was declined because my ticket was GOT-LHR-LAX-SAN all ba legs except LAX-SAN that was AA.

very odd. I have upgraded quite a few ba flights on bookings which also have domestic aa flights and never heard of this problem.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
yes, but same restrictive list of selling classes I mention for AA would apply, so if your ib fight isn’t in one of the selling classes mentioned above you can’t UuA.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:46 pm

Did you book through a travel agent/third party?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.