Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should BA follow Aer Lingus with a new livery?

Should BA follow Aer Lingus with a new livery?

Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by APUBleed

if you’ve worked on a corporate rebranding project you’ll find that the time and costs associated are massive. It’s not just as simple as the repainting costs.
Oh so true, however if a re-brand is deemed necessary by senior management, the resources will be found regardless of other areas of the business losing out. I quite enjoy rebranding periods as it keeps the management busy and out of my hair. It is also hilarious to hear the reasons behind the re-brand.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by kanderson1965

Oh so true, however if a re-brand is deemed necessary by senior management, the resources will be found regardless of other areas of the business losing out.
indeed, that reminds me of all the weird discussions on FT of the ‘I think it’s good that ba moves to BoB in ET and use the money saved to improve catering in CE’. That’s basically not the way things work...
kanderson1965 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA
Average Airways
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I loved them too. Not only were they pretty, but as a travelling geek, I loved the playful aspect of wondering which tail I'd get, almost "collecting" them. While I agree that this was abstract, the message was that BA wanted to be a world airline, and it conveyed it very effectively and very innovatively. In my view, that very internationalism was also an extremely British thing, as much as or even more than a Union Jack. Nowadays, the latter is not always associated in everyone's perception with the same levels of openness and outward-looking cosmopolitanism as it once was* (through no fault of BA, and to the horror of many a patriotic Brit). Whether we want it or not, perceptions are changing and when you tie your own brand to a brand that someone else controls, there is an induced risk, and the fact that the current livery has literally nothing else inflates this associated risk.

Note: I am not interested in commenting on the "substance" of whether the country has changed or not, if it is for the better or for the worse, etc. I am merely talking about perceptions and "brand" connotation, and the change in those is well evidenced by multiple surveys in various countries.
It's also likely that they remind me of a time when British Airways was a true innovator and had extremely high standards - so I loved the company then, nowadays not so much.

In addition, the Utopia livery had some world class artwork. It wasn't like some half-hearted reference to multiculturalism.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Worcester
Problem is that BA not very British though is it. Apart from it's customer base. Owned by a Spanish company, HQed in Madrid, Tax domiciled in Spain, with a Spanish CEO and head of customer experience and flying European and American aircraft. What exactly are we being proud of?

Also in British English you may want to spell it globalised rather than the globalised American English spelling with a z.
er, sorry to sully your contribution with the facts but IAG is registered in Madrid (ie has a nameplate there) with the HQ in London (Waterside). BA got the majority of the shares in IAG and the majority of the shares are traded on the LSE.
Also the use of z was the original English spelling of such words are organisation and indeed is listed in OED as a correct spelling.

Much as I love travelling, I to love the feeling of being home when you board a BA flight!
Cryofern likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by T8191
]BTW, would members please refer to the Union FLAG. It is only the Union JACK when flown at the fore-peak, from the jack-staff, of one of HM’s warships when at anchor.
im afraid contrary to popular belief, that is a myth. Union Jack and union flag are mutually acceptable.

s
HIDDY, T8191, simons1 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by navylad

im afraid contrary to popular belief, that is a myth. Union Jack and union flag are mutually acceptable.

s
My thanks for leading me to review the immensely detailed dissertation on Wiki ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack

I have become a better informed person.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by quakered

er, sorry to sully your contribution with the facts but IAG is registered in Madrid (ie has a nameplate there) with the HQ in London (Waterside). BA got the majority of the shares in IAG and the majority of the shares are traded on the LSE.
Also the use of z was the original English spelling of such words are organisation and indeed is listed in OED as a correct spelling.

Much as I love travelling, I to love the feeling of being home when you board a BA flight!
And yet IAG's annual statement explicitly stated that

IAG is a Spanish company
But most importantly Spain is where they pay their taxes.

Bit more research

Their Madrid office is more than just a name plate, it is where the boards is, where the key decisions are made and control of the company sits. Waterside is the Ops HQ, but that may change with Brexit.

It may be interesting to see the make up of the board so see the level of British influence of IAG http://www.iairgroup.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=240949&p=irol-govcommcomp2

IAG SA (or to give spell it out sociedad anónima) is a Spanish corporate structure broadly equivalent to to our PLC, but under Spanish law.

I am very interested that Globalised was ever spelt with a z in British English. I was unaware that such a word existed when British English and American English spit after the Americans become revolting.

Last edited by Worcester; Jan 20, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Is anyone expecting the Spanish Inquisition?

Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
No but I am now. Red hot poker until I recant my heresy.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
It's also likely that they remind me of a time when British Airways was a true innovator and had extremely high standards - so I loved the company then,
Interesting comment....care to expand?

I've flown BA/AF/IB/AZ/LH on the EZE/UK route for many a year. I can't say I found the other airlines lacking in any areas compared to BA. I may of course be a lot younger than you so how far back are you talking about?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Interesting comment....care to expand?

I've flown BA/AF/IB/AZ/LH on the EZE/UK route for many a year. I can't say I found the other airlines lacking in any areas compared to BA. I may of course be a lot younger than you so how far back are you talking about?
The Utopia livery, a.k.a. the ethnic tailfins, was from 1997 to 2001. Just after BA introduced the flat bed in First in 1995, and in place when the lie-flat bed was introduced in CW in 1999.
HIDDY likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.