Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should BA follow Aer Lingus with a new livery?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should BA follow Aer Lingus with a new livery?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:52 am

Changing the livery is the least of BA's problems right now. The new J seat and (hopefully) making it a success should be priority number 1.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I love the new Aer Lingus livery.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Changing the livery is the least of BA's problems right now. The new J seat and (hopefully) making it a success should be priority number 1.
Agreed. If spending 6, 8 10 hours or more in an aircraft, surely matters of comfort and service would be more important than the paint on the outside?

It is a bit like the obsession of the train companies, the first thing that happens on any change of franchise is spending millions changing the outside branding rather than anything that might make a difference for travellers.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
You may joke but in all seriousness I loved the ethnic tailfins, they were the perfect foil for the colonial feel of the landor livery. However it was probably too abstract from a branding perspective
I loved them too. Not only were they pretty, but as a travelling geek, I loved the playful aspect of wondering which tail I'd get, almost "collecting" them. While I agree that this was abstract, the message was that BA wanted to be a world airline, and it conveyed it very effectively and very innovatively. In my view, that very internationalism was also an extremely British thing, as much as or even more than a Union Jack. Nowadays, the latter is not always associated in everyone's perception with the same levels of openness and outward-looking cosmopolitanism as it once was* (through no fault of BA, and to the horror of many a patriotic Brit). Whether we want it or not, perceptions are changing and when you tie your own brand to a brand that someone else controls, there is an induced risk, and the fact that the current livery has literally nothing else inflates this associated risk.

Note: I am not interested in commenting on the "substance" of whether the country has changed or not, if it is for the better or for the worse, etc. I am merely talking about perceptions and "brand" connotation, and the change in those is well evidenced by multiple surveys in various countries.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 19, 2019 at 4:32 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:28 am

Get Banksy to do some for free. Just leave the planes parked up next to the Heathrow fence.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Aren’t they doing a uniform refresh soon? Surely you change the brand / logo when you roll out the new uniform. It’ll be interesting to see which way they go.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I would expect to see the BA 100 years logo on all aircraft plus 4 in a previous livery.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I think using things until they wear out is typically ‘British’ - at least in my age group.
Shabby interiors etc scream it don’t they
I like the new Aer Lingus, it does has notes of Iberia.
I also like the present BA one, I agree with the comments upthread regarding replacing the speedmarque with the old speedbird motif.
Are there still any ‘Olympic Dove’ birds around? They look hideous- especially now the nacelles are blue.
Spending money on the interiors- yes, exteriors- no.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
All the doves have gone.
Waterhorse, T8191 and missdimeaner like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Trent900
All the doves have gone.
Thankfully ! They were a sorry sight at the end
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Trent900
All the doves have gone.
Originally Posted by missdimeaner

Thankfully ! They were a sorry sight at the end

IMO they were a sorry sight at the beginning as well! Good riddance to the bloody things!

BTW, would members please refer to the Union FLAG. It is only the Union JACK when flown at the fore-peak, from the jack-staff, of one of HM’s warships when at anchor.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
I think using things until they wear out is typically ‘British’ - at least in my age group.
Shabby interiors etc scream it don’t they
I like the new Aer Lingus, it does has notes of Iberia.
I also like the present BA one, I agree with the comments upthread regarding replacing the speedmarque with the old speedbird motif.
Are there still any ‘Olympic Dove’ birds around? They look hideous- especially now the nacelles are blue.
Spending money on the interiors- yes, exteriors- no.

agreed. you spend hours inside so get that sorted first!

hopefully BA leave it alone. The Aer Lingus Disney heart clover of the redesign makes you wonder if they really did get a 6 year old to do that one!

After the (super dull) Lufthansa new scheme that nonetheless had to be re thought (it was so dull they had visibility issues) perhaps better BA stays on the cautious side.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by T8191
IMO they were a sorry sight at the beginning as well! Good riddance to the bloody things!

BTW, would members please refer to the Union FLAG. It is only the Union JACK when flown at the fore-peak, from the jack-staff, of one of HM’s warships when at anchor.
I’m glad I’m not alone in the ‘Flag’ brigade
Chatham or Chatham Dockyard would seem an entirely appropriate description to me.
T8191 and skipness1E like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Some seem to be missing the point here regarding interior refresh vs re-paint. Re-painting is part of the essential maintenance of the aircraft it is not an optional “would like to do” exercise. BA’s have a regular re-paint schedule regardless of whether the livery is changed or not.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Some seem to be missing the point here regarding interior refresh vs re-paint. Re-painting is part of the essential maintenance of the aircraft it is not an optional “would like to do” exercise. BA’s have a regular re-paint schedule regardless of whether the livery is changed or not.
if you’ve worked on a corporate rebranding project you’ll find that the time and costs associated are massive. It’s not just as simple as the repainting costs.
rossmacd and TedToToe like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.