Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should BA follow Aer Lingus with a new livery?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Ok folks, Aer Lingus has a new livery in what appears to be an “IAG house style” based on the Iberia livery. Should BA follow suit?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:30 pm

Definitely not. The BA livery is iconic - if they want to increase revenue right now focus on the product & service, not frivolous branding changes.
Shingi, Oggers, PrimaVista and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, EK Skywards Silver
I suspect they’ll have an aircraft painted in each of the historic liveries (I hope they include one of the Utopia designs) for the 100 year anniversary.

Doubt they’d change the livery due to the hysterics over the last attempt.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life, SQ PPS Club, UA Gold MM
Doesn’t look terrible - certainly better than IB’s. But I prefer the old one. Maybe the green paint is more expensive than white.

(can’t copy the damn photo in here for some reason - just Google it).

As for BA, I never much cared for the meaningless ribbon, and I hated the politically correct “we are the world” tail designs of the 1990s. Bring back the crest! It screams Britishness, and would be particularly apropos given the Brexit drama. People (especially non-Brits) want to fly a great British brand - be proud of it, and stop this mushy generic globalized nonsense!

Last edited by Clack; Jan 17, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Ok folks, Aer Lingus has a new livery in what appears to be an “IAG house style” based on the Iberia livery. Should BA follow suit?
No.
BingBongBoy and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Its probably tome for a change isn’t it
The cutrent one harks back to Maggie Thatcher and a remnant from the world tails

Perhaps we should have a Theresa May head on the tail a bit like Alaska Airlines :-)
Crampedin13A and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by allturnleft
The cutrent one harks back to Maggie Thatcher and a remnant from the world tails

Perhaps we should have a Theresa May head on the tail a bit like Alaska Airlines :-)
That would be quite frightening... Just leave the present design alone. It's fine, and better than most.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by allturnleft

a shiny penny to the first person who produces a mock up of this!!
NoTiersForMe and BAfromZRH like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I find the current livery elegant and, more importantly, British. The Union Flag is unmistakeable, even in the stylised form in use by BA.

And think of the expense of repainting the fleet, that would take ages to implement fully, leaving it looking a mess for years..
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
When a plane is repainted, is it taken back to bare metal first, or existing scheme over-painted? I wonder because of the increased weight implications of additional coats of paint.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:08 am

I very much miss the classic speedbird of the 1960s. It was as iconic as the Lufthansa/JAL crane and the AirFrance seahorse.

So yes...get rid of that insipid ribbon (what the hell is it called? Speedmarque?) and bring back speedbird!
Dover2Golf and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by xPositor
When a plane is repainted, is it taken back to bare metal first, or existing scheme over-painted? I wonder because of the increased weight implications of additional coats of paint.
Taken back to bare metal and then repainted. There are lots of videos on Youtube showing the painting process of planes.

Pilot37
xPositor likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:15 am

Rumour has it that there will be no new livery. Just a few planes painted with the 100 logo, which you can see on uniform lapels now. It looks like a first year foundation art course student has done their very best work. I hate it.
Can I help you and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
I am a fan of the current union jack design, and far from being meaningless it is supposed to be a stylised version of the flag flown by Nelson at Trafalgar! Whilst fact checking I came across this website that gives historic liveries (based on someone's model plane collection - I suspect he's a member here!) so you can see the range of past BA ones...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Recent new liveries have all tended to replace designs that were starting to look dated. 80s/90s/early 2000s styles etc. BA's livery doesn't look dated at all in my opinion.
skipness1E likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.