Lounge chancers

Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
I happened to see 3 people in 5 minutes turned away from the Philadelphia lounge earlier this week. One I didn’t hear, one was on a non-qualifying airline but the best was the guy who tried to blag his way in with a Bronze card!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by johnbonham
What's the rule at MIA FL if you are arriving on a J flight from Europe and connecting in J to a Caribbean destination. I would assume that you are still allowed into the FL?
Yes you would still have access based on your arrival in J on oneworld from a qualifying location and the onward flight being on oneworld (even if that flight doesn't qualify for access on it's own).
johnbonham likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:48 pm

I actually think these non-entitled attempts at lounge access by others are a fair tradeoff for the (frustratingly often) times that I've had to explain to the lounge attendants at my home airport (LAX) that yes I am allowed lounge entry as a BA Gold flying a non-premium AA domestic itinerary.

Seems like they'd cover that somewhere in the first 30 minutes of training for new lounge attendants, but if they do it doesn't always stick.

So at least they get to kick someone out.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Night Flyer
I actually think these non-entitled attempts at lounge access by others are a fair tradeoff for the (frustratingly often) times that I've had to explain to the lounge attendants at my home airport (LAX) that yes I am allowed lounge entry as a BA Gold flying a non-premium AA domestic itinerary.

Seems like they'd cover that somewhere in the first 30 minutes of training for new lounge attendants, but if they do it doesn't always stick.

So at least they get to kick someone out.
It never hurts to print out the rules or keep a link on your phone to show them. Heck, sometimes you need to do this with FA's as well when they try to charge you for drinks in premium/MCE..especially at AA.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wds17
Why don't the chancers just wait outside the lounge and politely ask to be guested in by a bona fide person with access?
I have been hit up for this by lukers before. They hang out near the lounge and ask to be guested. Reminds me of how teens will hang outside of a liquor store and ask adults to buy them beer
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What do you think my chances would be? If as a Blue, the next time I'm in GLA I sauntered up to the lounge agent and said ''I'm HIDDY from Flyertalk would you mind me popping in for a quick snifter?''
JennyJones likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by mikeday1983
There was 1 guy trying to get in the lounge because he had a BA Amex card, oddly he was flying business class with Delta so had access to the KLM lounge.
Very odd, but there is at least one BA-branded credit card that can include lounge access (though not in all airports I believe), and he could have been (very) confused.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I've heard of it happening a lot at lounges however have yet to see it yet. I've seen it many a time in Check in. Lady with 2 very disruptive children in a long economy bag drop queue skipped in front of me and believed that because she had 2 young children had the powers to skip me in the queue without even asking me or explaining why she was doing it

It did put a smile on my face when the excellent lady at check-in explained that I was in front of her and this is the CW and OW Sapphires/Emerald queue
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
I am reminded of an occasion some years ago when I had landed at LHR on a CX flight and was going into the AA Arrivals Lounge. A middle-aged gentleman was moaning and complaining about multiple issues on his flight (clearly AA economy from somewhere in the US) and explaining that because of all these things and his multiple health issues and god knows what else he should be allowed in. The lounge attendants were having none of it but the more they politely tried to rebuff him the more strident he became - and all this time a growing queue of pax who were entitled to access was growing behind him, unable to get in because he was arguing with both the attendants. Eventually one of the pax spoke to him quite sharply and he stood aside to let others in, but then tried arguing again at such a volume he could be heard throughout the lounge. Extremely tiresome.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 19, 2019 at 7:49 am Reason: clean up in preparation of reopening thread
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
I really don't like these chancers. They sound like vagrants looking for scraps and handouts.
If it were within human rights, it would be nice if they could be provided with a mild unharmful electric charge each time they tried this 'silly business'.
just because corbyn has been unleashed doesn't mean that the world can lose its sense of order. keep the trouble out!
Cris L and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:44 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
What do you think my chances would be? If as a Blue, the next time I'm in GLA I sauntered up to the lounge agent and said ''I'm HIDDY from Flyertalk would you mind me popping in for a quick snifter?''
Hopefully zero chance. The lounges do need to maintain some minimum standards of clientele
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:40 am

Just one point of defence to some chances. The BA manage my booking page is so often wrong about which lounge groups have access to that trying to guest more people in than allowed can be an easy mistake. I have a CW booking for five people to JNB in April. I am gold but other than that there is one silver and the rest are blue or bronze. BA, however displays to everyone that we can use Galaries First for the flight. I know that I can only guest in one person but if it was anyone else on that booking (we may well arrive separately) they would see that they have access as per MMB even though they don't. Maybe fixing these longstanding issues in MMB would at least reduce the number of people that genuinely think they have access because of the information BA provide.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
Someone last year bandied the idea that BA loses Ł3-4 million per annum to 'guests' in the BA lounge network that should not really be there. One would like to think with tighter rules, that money would be ploughed back into the lounge product. But then again...
I'd love to know how BA manage to work that out...
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by tomparskate
I've seen it many a time in Check in. Lady with 2 very disruptive children in a long economy bag drop queue skipped in front of me and believed that because she had 2 young children had the powers to skip me in the queue without even asking me or explaining why she was doing it
There are countries where children are regarded as important and people with them are allowed to the front of the check in or boarding queue with no problem. The line of business men parts like the Red Sea!
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Three people turned away from middle podium at GF this morning at T5 at 6am whilst I was putting luggage into the cloakroom.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.