Lounge chancers

Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by IntVic
With the proliferation of reality TV programs Lounge Chancers might be worth a try commissioning.
There is a guy called a Simon Wilson who is a ‘youtuber’ and he often blags way into airport lounges, (pretends to be on the phone when several people at the desk avoiding eye contact or saying on his phone call I’m just going back into the lounge’) hotel spas and lounges and business centres and lots of free food as fast food places. He has blagged his way onto Thalys trains, Megabus coaches in the USA and into a McGregor flight in Las Vegas.

His videos are very samey now first one was Amsterdam to Barcelona with no money, coast to coas5 USA win no money Australia, Dubai and India with no money and numerous cities...but some people will try anything.
aidy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
In the book of ‘BA lounges worth the effort of blagging your way in’, you would think AMS must come a fair way down the list.
If you happen to be in AMS it has the advantage of location
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

There is a guy called a Simon Wilson who is a ‘youtuber’ and he often blags way into airport lounges, (pretends to be on the phone when several people at the desk avoiding eye contact or saying on his phone call I’m just going back into the lounge’) hotel spas and lounges and business centres and lots of free food as fast food places. He has blagged his way onto Thalys trains, Megabus coaches in the USA and into a McGregor flight in Las Vegas.

His videos are very samey now first one was Amsterdam to Barcelona with no money, coast to coas5 USA win no money Australia, Dubai and India with no money and numerous cities...but some people will try anything.
I still watch him!

I first found him when i was "look at the cheek of this guy sneaking into the lounge", now i like the guy pretty funny
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
If you happen to be in AMS it has the advantage of location
Well, 1 out of 10 is not disaster, innit ? 😉
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

There is a guy called a Simon Wilson who is a ‘youtuber’ and he often blags way into airport lounges.
I know... The TV programme should focus on the heroes who are the Lounge Dragons. A series that highlights their daily viligance as they take on and bring down the DYKWIAs, ignorant, and Simon Wilson chancers of the world. If the custom officers can get there own programme why not celebrate the Lounge Dragons?
SKT-DK, KeaneJohn, Siz and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Air Canada (SE), Hyatt (Globalist), Marriott (Plat Elite), IHG Spire Ambass
**deleted comment**

Last edited by SayItAintSo; Jan 18, 2019 at 7:26 am Reason: Wanted to put it as a response
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:41 am

I'm glad that the dragons enforce the rules. With all of the legitimate access methods (credit card, comped day pass, etc...) the lounges are getting extremely crowded.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Same everywhere

I'm a UA flyer. Trust me, same is in *A lounges. Common one that holds up the line, ‘I didn’t know my card had expire , can you look it up ( let me in this time). In many airports, the lounges are tucked away, people have to make an effort to find them. Why work that hard to sneak in.

LH door guards don’t play. They have heard every excuse and the answer is no.

Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
The best one I can remember witnessing was at the LCY gate lounge prior to BA001 to JFK. A youngish bloke wandered in and explained that whilst he knew he wasn't technically allowed access his dad was a gold member and that he didn't want to stay long, so could an exception be made? He didn't look particularly surprised to be refused.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: AS 75K, AA Gld / 1MM, Marriott Plat
Sometimes when bored I sit near the dragons at a lounge and I'd estimate the 'chancers' are as high as 1 in 3. The United Club in San Francisco was always good for a laugh. A common ruse there was an attempt to use the Priority Pass card, which hasn't covered United Clubs / Red Carpet Clubs at any time in my memory.

My favorite was the guy who walked up and said, "Is this the American Express lounge?" Mind you there is a HUGE sign right behind the dragons that says "United Club". And when the dragon said no, the guy says, "Are you sure?" On my way out I asked the dragon if he was sure we weren't in the American Express lounge and he said, "quite sure", rather mirthlessly. Apparently that kind of thing stopped being funny for the dragons some time ago...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:24 am
Suspended

It seems like 8 of 10 times I go to a lounge, there is someone arguing with the reception about how and why they should be let in. It's DYKWIA after DYKWIA, arguing that even though they are not on that carrier that day that they are a triple conceirge key platinum unobtainium trillion miler, or that even though the next segment is in coach they should be let in, or that they should be able to guest their 19 companions, or that they USED to have status etc.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
I have to believe trying to worm your way into a lounge happens a lot. Not too long ago I was heading to the AA club at my home airport in BOS. I noticed there was a guy hanging around the entrance. When I went in, he kind of followed me then while I was checking in, thus occupying the agent, he walked around me and into the club. I said to the agent, you know that guy just walked in. She eventually tracked him down and booted him out. He was friendly about it. From what I recall, it seems like he did this often. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Sleazy in my opinion though....
NeedstoFly likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Aren't the toilets at the AMS lounge outside the lounge? IIRC that would make it a particularly useful lounge to try it on, as there would be even more foot traffic than usual just walking in and out...
Markie likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: SPG
Why don't the chancers just wait outside the lounge and politely ask to be guested in by a bona fide person with access?
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I see this a lot in Miami when AA passengers discover that the Caribbean and most of Mexico plus Canada is not international travel when they are in J and thus get no access to the Admirals Club. Also at the new Club those who get in via club membership then try to get into the new Flagship Lounge (shared lobby) with the same proviso that it's only for international J and F and not the Admirals Club which I presume must be jammed with domestic passengers.

So not chancers but people used to airlines where all J/F is a freebie lounge invite.
What's the rule at MIA FL if you are arriving on a J flight from Europe and connecting in J to a Caribbean destination. I would assume that you are still allowed into the FL?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.