Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge chancers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
Lounge chancers

I'm not one to typically notice this, but was recently in the AMS lounge, sat close to the desk.

In a ~10 minute period there were 8 people turned away by the lounge dragon. A couple of them were in the wrong lounge (as the BA lounge is next to the Priority Pass lounge this is understandable) but the rest were just people chancing it for access. One guy even said he didn't have a boarding card but claimed to be Gold and should be allowed in.

Is this something that happens a lot and I've never noticed before and is a common occurrence or did AMS just have more than usual here?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
The chancers probably read a post by @onobond last year (my bolding) and can’t wait to see the place for themselves:
Originally Posted by onobond
.... there'll be more time in the lounge, which is one of the finest BA have in the Netherlands ;)
It might be easier to just let them in. They won’t stay long.
onobond, Thomathy, :D! and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Surely, the only one in the Netherlands.

Last edited by TheOldMan; Jan 17, 2019 at 1:28 pm Reason: Wrong info
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:37 pm

Well I waltzed into the lounge at ARN earlier today without showing anyone anything. The dragon was not guarding its lair.

Not sure how relevant this is, mind.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Not once did I wander off CCR for a quick shower without having a boarding pass on me and was always let back in. Wonder if dragons there have an exceptional memory for faces or just assume that anyone who walks in with a straight face is entitled?
likethis likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
Im at AMS lounge every week and I see this a lot. Like you, I was surprised at both the frequency and the paucity of the excuses.

So nothing unusual, but god it must getting tiring for the people guarding the door.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I'm in Amsterdam a lot and must confess I haven't noticed this. As the OP said the PP lounge is next door so I'm sure some people get confused.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had an issue in MAD the other week with my connecting flight, and whilst talking to the lounge dragon, which must have been less than 3 minutes, 3 people tried to claim lounge access, 2 because their flights were delayed and one because it was 3 hours until his connecting flight.

I sympathise with those on very delayed flights, but imagine if BA gave lounge access to pax on flights with 60min+ delays. The carnage...!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, EK Skywards Silver
I used to work as checkin/gate staff for BA at an outstation, and did the odd stint in the lounge to cover breaks. Most of those times, at least one person would come in and chance it, and generally left after being told they weren’t allowed in. I have heard a few horror stories though!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chinagrove
I used to work as checkin/gate staff for BA at an outstation, and did the odd stint in the lounge to cover breaks. Most of those times, at least one person would come in and chance it, and generally left after being told they weren’t allowed in. I have heard a few horror stories though!
Welcome to Flyertalk chinagrove and a particular welcome from the BA forum, it's good to see you here and I'm sure any insights you have about operations will be much appreciated. Welcome on board.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
The chancers probably read a post by @onobond last year (my bolding) and can’t wait to see the place for themselves
Or they may have read this thread: Sweet Talking Your Way Into The CCR.
WickedStepMother and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:09 pm

Plenty of "chancers" on FT too...(NOT BA specific) We see the threads all the time.... "Ive got an extra guest, they'll let me bring them in too surely?" or "Those lounges count kids as guests...what chance have I got of getting my whole family in?"
No different in my view....
dcmike, HIDDY, A P Yu and 15 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I see this a lot in Miami when AA passengers discover that the Caribbean and most of Mexico plus Canada is not international travel when they are in J and thus get no access to the Admirals Club. Also at the new Club those who get in via club membership then try to get into the new Flagship Lounge (shared lobby) with the same proviso that it's only for international J and F and not the Admirals Club which I presume must be jammed with domestic passengers.

So not chancers but people used to airlines where all J/F is a freebie lounge invite.
trooper and southbeachbum like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by luitje
Not once did I wander off CCR for a quick shower without having a boarding pass on me and was always let back in. Wonder if dragons there have an exceptional memory for faces or just assume that anyone who walks in with a straight face is entitled?
Do you mind clarifying what other types of faces there are?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
Plenty of "chancers" on FT too...(NOT BA specific)
Sometimes it's also a matter of wrong information by the airline staff. Recently flew AKL-HKG on CX as part of a LH ticket. I'm *G and of course I don't expect any lounge access since I'm flying Y on a non*A metal service.

The check-in agent starts putting all sorts of priority tags on my bags and tells me "the system doesn't let me print a lounge invitation but you're on a Lufthansa ticket so just go to the lounge and show your card".

So I went and of course the lounge dragon denied access. I guess the check-in agent assumed that *A would have rules similar to OW, and since both NZ and LH have specific arrangements with CX it *could* have been possible that a *G would have access to the lounge. But, alas, no luck.
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.