Lounge chancers

Old Jan 21, 19, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Dubh View Post
Well this should liven up Monday morning, like a red rag to a bull....
Well, it took them over 2 years to type up that post so it's not going to be a fast conversation.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Jan 21, 19, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Dubh View Post
Well this should liven up Monday morning, like a red rag to a bull....

Poeís Law in action here...
Old Jan 21, 19, 8:51 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by jcgrief View Post
I fly Las Vegas to Southern India twice a year which is a Grueling 3 Flight Trip!. Most of the time I fly Business being the trip is 27 hours total travel time so I have access to these lounges. Sometimes 1 leg of the trip I do not fly Business but I will go to the Lounge of the Airline I am flying and show my Boarding Pass with a $20.00 USD Bill! This usually gets me in NO PROBLEM! I have a few drinks and I will TIP the Bartender $20.00 USD from first Drink cause NOBODY TIPS THE BARTENDER! IT IS EXPECTED SERVICE! THIS SOLUTION HAS NEVER CAUSED ME ANY PROBLEM from hanging out in the Lounges for HOURS!!! Learn How the World Works People! Take Care of the People Taking Care of You and The World Will Turn!!! Life Lesson Number 1!!!!
Well , so you spend $ 40 to bribe your way in where you are not entitled...Is this a good move I wonder considering such practices may wel become an accepted entitlement with corresponding service level. A pity that you may have done this in Southern India or even a metro city where bribing unlike "developed" countries where the lower level people have their basic needs satisfied, though I have heard of the $ 20 bill to secure a room upgrade. Putting on flame proof jacket !!!
Old Jan 21, 19, 9:31 am
Suspended

I fly Las Vegas to Southern India twice a year which is a Grueling 3 Flight Trip!. Most of the time I fly Business being the trip is 27 hours total travel time so I have access to these lounges. Sometimes 1 leg of the trip I do not fly Business but I will go to the Lounge of the Airline I am flying and show my Boarding Pass with a $20.00 USD Bill! This usually gets me in NO PROBLEM! I have a few drinks and I will TIP the Bartender $20.00 USD from first Drink cause NOBODY TIPS THE BARTENDER! IT IS EXPECTED SERVICE! THIS SOLUTION HAS NEVER CAUSED ME ANY PROBLEM from hanging out in the Lounges for HOURS!!
! Learn How the World Works People! Take Care of the People Taking Care of You and The World Will Turn!!! Life Lesson Number 1!!!!

So many exclamation points is usually an indicator of making it up. 1 post user, 14 exclamation points. Excuse me if I don't believe you.
Sealink, Steve in Olympia and aidy like this.
Old Jan 21, 19, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue View Post
I just donít get it. Yes, itís a nice perk when travelling in J or F however no lounge is such an amazing experience that Iíd want to cause uproar at the entrance trying to blag or demand my way in. In every airport Iíve been in itís always easy enough to find a nice bar in a quite corner. Order a couple of drinks and some snacks and for £20 youíve got the same experience.
Unless that quiet bar in the corner has free booze, free food, free showers, free day rooms and a spa, I hardly think it's equivalent. The reason it is sought after and restricted, other than the free stuff, is the protection from the stinking, heaving, hoi polloi waddling through the airport.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Jan 21, 19, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Proudelitist View Post
Unless that quiet bar in the corner has free booze, free food, free showers, free day rooms and a spa, I hardly think it's equivalent. The reason it is sought after and restricted, other than the free stuff, is the protection from the stinking, heaving, hoi polloi waddling through the airport.
Is it so long ago that you canít remember the time when you had never seen the inside of a lounge? I do like the lounges, but I like to think I am more polite about those people who donít have access (I just call them the rabble ).
argonath likes this.
Old Jan 21, 19, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WickedStepMother View Post

Is it so long ago that you canít remember the time when you had never seen the inside of a lounge? I do like the lounges, but I like to think I am more polite about those people who donít have access (I just call them the rabble ).
On the other hand, with the number of rabble seemingly making it into the lounge these days, a quiet bar may be a better place. But you have to load up on the free stuff at the lounge before heading there. I just can't pay for drinks when I know I can get them for free.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Jan 21, 19, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA gold, Hilton gold, Accor gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post

Why bother when you know that not all of your group is entitled?
how would I know if I donít read flyertalk (like >90% of passengers) and just follow instructions in MMB?
WickedStepMother and cauchy like this.
Old Jan 21, 19, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
On Friday morning there was gentleman with his two travel companions blocking the entrance to the CCR, He was attempting to use his HSBC premier credit card as means of entry. Tbh I didn't even know the HSBC came with any lounge access but fair play for going all out and not even trying GF or Club straight to the CCR.
Old Jan 21, 19, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Originally Posted by Proudelitist View Post
So many exclamation points is usually an indicator of making it up. 1 post user, 14 exclamation points. Excuse me if I don't believe you.
And not forgetting all the capital letters as well. The $20 in a passport at a lounge or hotel reception bribe is far less common these days given the propensity of cameras and IT systems that alert managers to staff doing upgrades when none is warranted. The only thing missing is to wear a good suit to impress the agent!

But I do like the AMS lounge, of course it's not perfect but it's ok for a snack and a drink before the flight.

I think part of the access confusion is that at AMS the BA lounge is, as per the OW lounge finder, only for BA and CX but all other OW airlines use the Aspire Lounge
Old Jan 21, 19, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ThrowingBoeing View Post
I didn't even know the HSBC came with any lounge access but fair play for going all out and not even trying GF or Club straight to the CCR.
HSBC Premier World Elite (free to their Jade level customers) comes with Lounge Key access. Handy for places like FNC where there's no BA lounge - saw a BAEC goldie there trying to blag there way in and failing.
ThrowingBoeing likes this.
Old Mar 11, 19, 11:32 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
I fly Las Vegas to Southern India twice a year which is a Grueling 3 Flight Trip!. Most of the time I fly Business being the trip is 27 hours total travel time so I have access to these lounges. Sometimes 1 leg of the trip I do not fly Business but I will go to the Lounge of the Airline I am flying and show my Boarding Pass with a $20.00 USD Bill! This usually gets me in NO PROBLEM! I have a few drinks and I will TIP the Bartender $20.00 USD from first Drink cause NOBODY TIPS THE BARTENDER! IT IS EXPECTED SERVICE! THIS SOLUTION HAS NEVER CAUSED ME ANY PROBLEM from hanging out in the Lounges for HOURS!!! Learn How the World Works People! Take Care of the People Taking Care of You and The World Will Turn!!! Life Lesson Number 1!!!!
If you are flying an alliance airline, and only one of your legs is not in J, are you not likely to get access to lounges anyway? I'm not familiar with other alliances but on OW many connecting flights still permit lounge access if the preceding or next leg is in J. More to the point, however, I have to deplore your use of bribery. You may think this is "NO PROBLEM!", but those of us who have a sense of decency and ethics, and who pay for the provision of lounge services either through the fare for the flight in question or through loyalty to an airline (or credit card fees, or whatever), are subsidising your theft.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
I think part of the access confusion is that at AMS the BA lounge is, as per the OW lounge finder, only for BA and CX but all other OW airlines use the Aspire Lounge
Actually, the lounge finder also says "Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline". I am constantly amazed that so many people who fly frequently aren't more conversant with the rules. And ditto, as mentioned above, some of the lounge angels/dragons.

As another poster has suggested, I have a copy of the oneworld access rules printed off (together with some other useful information for people who should know better, such as the rules saying APEC BTC holders get access to crew lanes at US immigration) and it lives permanently in my hand luggage. I've had a few arguments with lounge angels/dragons over the years. The most persistent access-denier was at the BA F lounge in LHR T5 who insisted that I wasn't allowed access because their system showed my status as Sapphire rather than Emerald, even though I had renewed as Emerald a week or so beforehand. The fact that my boarding pass showed my status as emerald, and I had my CX Diamond card with me (and presented it to him), and was able to show on my phone that the CX website confirmed my status, were mere inconveniences to him. Not as inconvenient as me, however, because I stood my ground and escalated. His supervisor put him straight in fairly short order but it still took quite a long time and put me in a very bad mood (didn't show it, I was civil, although probably showing my irritation!). Given that I think that the T5 F lounge is fairly mediocre it would have been easier for all concerned if I had just rolled my eyes and walked away, but I'm a man of principle and his dismissive attitude really annoyed me. I understand that these poor people get chancers all the time and may have limited tolerance - I totally get that - but when someone produces the actual bloody membership card AND boarding pass AND online confirmation of their status you might think they would accept that their system is perhaps awaiting a refresh and isn't current - but noooooo....
adrianlondon, etiene and salehir like this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
This is your final warning sir....

I've posted similar before but I wish that FLY would have some way to record 'chancers' and have it logged against their Exec Club account.

I'm continually baffled how people think it's reasonable to just keep pushing and pushing for something as if it's a game. Accidental mistakes/misunderstandings are fine but those who perpetually try it on need to be disincentivised.

Chancers hold up access for those entitled to use the lounges and cause stress for agents. Serial chancers should receive a polite letter through detailing the lounge access guidelines etc and advising them that they need to adhere to the rules or seek another carrier/FFP. People can then make a choice of changing their behaviour or to another carrier that allows it's staff to be bullied.