Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge chancers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I was at a domestic outstation not too long ago and the staff were helping me change flights. In the few mins they were doing this, Gold, Silver and CE passengers tried to guest more than 1 guest in, passengers flying on different airlinies and guests flying on other airlines. All (I’d say 6-10) were allowed. The lounge wasn’t busy and it didn’t detract on the experience so no harm done in my mind..

I’ll admit to blagging into one lounge, the Admirals Club in Miami en route to Cancun in J but was only Bronze at the time, I did feel very guilty and only had some coffee, white chocolate pretzels and a bottle of water and I left quickly..
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Do you mind clarifying what other types of faces there are?
Can’t answer for the poster concerned ....... but I would say there is a whole range of faces out there.

Problems generally arise if you happen to own one which doesn’t fit
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:02 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Recently flew AKL-HKG on CX as part of a LH ticket. I'm *G and of course I don't expect any lounge access since I'm flying Y on a non*A metal service.

The check-in agent starts putting all sorts of priority tags on my bags and tells me "the system doesn't let me print a lounge invitation but you're on a Lufthansa ticket so just go to the lounge and show your card".

So I went and of course the lounge dragon denied access. I guess the check-in agent assumed that *A would have rules similar to OW, and since both NZ and LH have specific arrangements with CX it *could* have been possible that a *G would have access to the lounge. But, alas, no luck.
If you were NZ*G you might have be able to blag lounge access, as you would get it had you booked that CX flight as an NZ codeshare.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Or they may have read this thread: Sweet Talking Your Way Into The CCR.
If they think the BA lounge at Schiphol is going to bear any resemblance to the CCR at Heathrow then they are in for a massive disappointment if their sweet talking succeeds.
onobond and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Someone last year bandied the idea that BA loses Ł3-4 million per annum to 'guests' in the BA lounge network that should not really be there. One would like to think with tighter rules, that money would be ploughed back into the lounge product. But then again...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by :D!
If you were NZ*G you might have be able to blag lounge access, as you would get it had you booked that CX flight as an NZ codeshare.
Indeed what the lounge dragon said. Nicest LD ever, by the way, she even went to check with a supervisor!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
If they think the BA lounge at Schiphol is going to bear any resemblance to the CCR at Heathrow then they are in for a massive disappointment if their sweet talking succeeds.
I quite like the BA Lounge at AMS.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:29 am

Some of the lounge access rules across alliances/affiliates are so complex it doesn't surprise me.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:04 am

I was in the AMS lounge on Monday. In the short time I spent in there, there were 3 people looking for the Aspire lounge. There was 1 guy trying to get in the lounge because he had a BA Amex card, oddly he was flying business class with Delta so had access to the KLM lounge. The final mention goes to the loud American who was claiming that he originally booked business but then changed flights to economy and was refused entry. He hung around for a good 10 minutes, moaning at the staff, demanding to see a manager and threatening to call BA and complain. That shows he is not a BA regular, he would know how fruitless complaining to BA is
After a flurry of chancers and people in the wrong place, the lounge staff member looked over to me and smiled. I think you have to find it amusing to get through the working day.
MitchR, adrianlondon and Sealink like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC GfL
Had a couple trying to gain entry at AMS mid December, they were there for a good 5 mins trying to argue their case with others waiting, as per other comments I am sure they would have been disappointed with the food and beverage offerings had they gained access
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:45 am

In the book of ‘BA lounges worth the effort of blagging your way in’, you would think AMS must come a fair way down the list.

But then again ..... the perennial attraction of some free food & drink can never be under-estimated
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I once saw a passenger at GC North who was a little bit angry because the lounge staff wouldn't let her in with a Priority Pass and she was insisting she was entitled to access. She was of course rightly refused.

Lounge Angels, whether that's BA/oneworld or in fact any alliance must get so tired of hearing chancers/DYKWIA at the desk EVERY day especially the ones wanting multiple guests in.

An occupational hazard in a public customer facing role I suppose but not a very pleasant one for them on some occasions and it goes without saying verbal abuse, passive aggressiveness is completely ignorant in my book.
flygirl68 and Sealink like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
With the proliferation of reality TV programs Lounge Chancers might be worth a try commissioning.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by IntVic
With the proliferation of reality TV programs Lounge Chancers might be worth a try commissioning.
Or maybe Come Lounge With Me .......
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:12 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

I quite like the BA Lounge at AMS.
Me too, it is very bright and airy and loads of natural night. Plus a nice view across the apron and airfield too. Food and drink is more than OK - I don't go into the lounge for a full meal anyway, more of a light snack. So the AMS lounge gets a big ^^ from me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.