Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using Avios to book Qantas domestic flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Hi, on our upcoming trip to Australia, we just used some Avios points to book our domestic flights. I had read on the blogs that booking on Qantas may be a good use of Avios. So we booked today. For 2 people on 3 one way flights (all domestic and one leg in business), the cash price is US 1,105 and the price using points came to 59,000 Avios plus US 103 in taxes. So the savings were considerable for us.

Out of curiosity - how did we do? Was this a good use of our points?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
It’s all relative. If it was good for you, it’s a good use of points. They are there to be used and if you managed to save a lot of money that’s great. There’s no point saving them for that great deal that’s never available at the time you need it.
Wifie likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
We did four people in economy from Brisbane to Townsville for 30,000 + £46 taxes back in the summer, think the cash fare for all of us was somewhere around £500 from memory

But as highpeaklad says it's all relative, all my Avios are generally free so I tend to spend them without worry too much about the maximum value I could extract, for example often use a them to reduce fare prices which isn't considered best value use for them but £250 in my pocket or my company's (work for myself) is better than a stack of Avios
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As above depends on the route and the cost of the flights on QF and other airlines on the route.
You quote US$, so the retail price in $Au, using com.au or selecting location as Au (top right) may have been lower. Point of sale (US) may come into play.
But avios award flights can be very god value, especially for business class.

The "taxes" you refer to will almost certainly be "carrier award surcharge" [=100% airline profit] and some small real taxes.

Note that QF and other Au airlines have been enforcing size & weight limits for carry-on, as your ticket t&c's. What is common practise in USA will not acceptable with Australian airlines.

Enjoy your time in Australia ^
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We saved about US$1,000 for 2 people so for us it was a good saving. I quoted USD because we are based in the US and called the local Executive Club so the taxes and other surcharges were quoted in USD.

BTW, I did go to the Qantas website to price flights before going to Executive Club. When you book domestic flights, it automatically takes you to the Australian website and the charges are shown in AUD. It came to exactly the same when you convert back to USD. We actually found Virgin Australia to be slightly cheaper than Qantas and if we were going to pay cash for the tickets, would have most likely gone with them. But hey, you can't beat free (plus taxes!) 😂
Wifie likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As above depends on the route and the cost of the flights on QF and other airlines on the route.
You quote US$, so the retail price in $Au, using com.au or selecting location as Au (top right) may have been lower. Point of sale (US) may come into play.
But avios award flights can be very god value, especially for business class.

The "taxes" you refer to will almost certainly be "carrier award surcharge" and some small real taxes.

Note that QF and other Au airlines have been enforcing size & weight limits for carry-on, as your ticket t&c's. What is common practise in USA will not acceptable with Australian airlines.

Enjoy your time in Australia ^
I was under the impression that there are no carrier surcharges on QF domestic flights.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HiltonH
Thanks!

Originally Posted by BabyBearNewYork
Thanks everyone! We saved about US$1,000 for 2 people so for us it was a good saving. I quoted USD because we are based in the US and called the local Executive Club so the taxes and other surcharges were quoted in USD.

BTW, I did go to the Qantas website to price flights before going to Executive Club. When you book domestic flights, it automatically takes you to the Australian website and the charges are shown in AUD. It came to exactly the same when you convert back to USD. We actually found Virgin Australia to be slightly cheaper than Qantas and if we were going to pay cash for the tickets, would have most likely gone with them. But hey, you can't beat free (plus taxes!) 😂
Thanks for posting this one BabyBearNewYork.
As a result I have just booked our Qantas domestic flights using Avios which saved us a fair amount in cash. Two returns in business class for around 33,000 Avios plus £86 taxes which I was happy to spend instead of around AUD3,000.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Wifie
I have just booked our Qantas domestic flights using Avios which saved us a fair amount in cash. Two returns in business class for around 33,000 Avios plus £86 taxes which I was happy to spend instead of around AUD3,000.
Based on my own regular use of Australian domestic Avios redemptions, I’m thinking that your quoted spend must have been for the shortest of sectors .... something like MEL-SYD or SYD-BNE .....?

(even as a fan of QF’s domestic J product, I personally would be happier using half the Avios for an exit seat in Y on such quick hops)

Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HiltonH
Originally Posted by subject2load

Based on my own regular use of Australian domestic Avios redemptions, I’m thinking that your quoted spend must have been for the shortest of sectors .... something like MEL-SYD or SYD-BNE .....?
(even as a fan of QF’s domestic J product, I personally would be happier using half the Avios for an exit seat in Y on such quick hops)
My OH would agree with you there but I quite enjoy a little comfort when I travel
subject2load likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Trivial pursuits pub quiz : MEL-SYD = second busiest commercial air route worldwide

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.