Finding JAL Availability using Avios

Old Jan 16, 19, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VA
Finding JAL Availability using Avios

Hi,
A further option I have found for our planned trip to Oz is to return from Sydney/Melbourne on Japan Airlines to Tokyo, then BA back to the UK.

As I cannot find any availability for these JAL flights on ba.com, if I join the JAL scheme (mileage bank), would any flights that are showing as available for booking using JMB points also be available for booking using Avios?

Many thanks.
Old Jan 16, 19, 7:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If there is availability, you should be able to see it on BA.com as well. It may simply be that there is no availability on the dates you have chosen.
Old Jan 16, 19, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
JAL availability has been reasonably reliably displayed on BA.com in my experience, but of course some inter-airline IT breakdown is always a possibility. If you see none at all, I'd be suspicious. If your dates are not available but others are, there may simply be no availability for you.

When are you hoping to travel?
Old Jan 16, 19, 8:30 am
Original Poster

I was looking for availability around mid-November. I've just tried searching again, and before it was only offering the a Qantas option. However, I have logged back in again, and it is showing SYD-MEL-NRT with JAL on the MEL-NRT leg, but no direct flight.

However, when I search for MEL-NRT to see if I can get the direct flight, it is only showing MEL-SYD-NRT with JAL on the SYD-NRT leg!!!

Fingers crossed it may just be the dates I have chosen, and more options may be made available nearer the time.
Old Jan 16, 19, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I have researched this as Iíve just booked NRT-SYD at the beginning of November. Here are the key points:
JAL release availability for all flights including redemptions 330 days out.
They are released at 10am Japan time which is 1am GMT
2 J and 4 W are released for each flight.
Apparently 2 F are also released but my route didnít have this so I canít confirm.
ba.com is the best place to snaffle the awards as it updates in real time.
Ironically, the seats are available on ba.com before they are available to Mileage Bank members.
More seats are made available closer to departure.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 16, 19, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that - I’ll keep checking on a daily basis for both JAL and Qantas.
Old Jan 16, 19, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
I was looking for availability around mid-November. I've just tried searching again, and before it was only offering the a Qantas option. However, I have logged back in again, and it is showing SYD-MEL-NRT with JAL on the MEL-NRT leg, but no direct flight.

However, when I search for MEL-NRT to see if I can get the direct flight, it is only showing MEL-SYD-NRT with JAL on the SYD-NRT leg!!!

Fingers crossed it may just be the dates I have chosen, and more options may be made available nearer the time.
Do you actually want to visit Tokyo or are you just looking for a way back to the UK? I assume in J?

The only thing I saw so far around mid November was on QR in J with a 9 hour layover in DOH.
SYD-DOH on QR907 Nov. 18 connecting to DOH-LHR on QR007 Nov 19. BA online search won't pull this up directly but you can find it segment by segment.

ETA: Also, I see QR has a later flight out of SYD QR909 that would cut the layover in DOH to under 4 hours.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Jan 16, 19 at 4:08 pm
Old Jan 16, 19, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
Thanks for that - I’ll keep checking on a daily basis for both JAL and Qantas.
Look at both HND & NRT airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haneda_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narita...tional_Airport
QF fly SYD HND
CX will get you to TYO via HKG

If looking for business class it may be showing mixed economy/business award. Business on the Au domestic short segment

Edit
QF fly BNE NRT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane_Airport

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 16, 19 at 11:06 pm
Old Jan 17, 19, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks again both of you.

The flight is planned as the first stage of getting back to the UK, but as we are hoping to be using an Amex 241 voucher, we need to return on BA. This option is a backstop should we be unable to get SYD-LHR-MAN flights in CW/First for our return leg, as we could still get CW/First from NRT whilst (hopefully!!) snagging first outbound for the full route.

We would also need to depart from NRT as both Qantas and JAL only serve NRT from SYD/MEL, so the plan would be get the daytime flight and overnight in a hotel to try and get a decent night’s sleep. Another advantage of the Tokyo flight would be that it is a daytime flight, so hopefully jet lag should be reduced.

Once again, many thanks for your advice - greatly appreciated.

Our other options are, as mentioned, use Cathay Pacific to HKG then BA in CW/First, or pay for flights on Scoot from SYD-SIN then pick up a BA flight back to the UK.

Anyhow, it looks as if the problems I was having with the BA website (I assume it may have been my IT) have gone away now, and I am able to see JAL flights.
Old Jan 17, 19, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Just as a reference, I booked two JAL avios J class seats last night from SIN-HND on BA.com and could see lots of availability on the website around my dates, so it is working. The only annoyance is that unlike CX who allow you tailor the avios / cash amount, JAL will only allow you redeem for the full avios price.

Pilot37