11˝-hour daytime flight in darkness

Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I do that all the time. I can sleep in broad daylight because I'm generally sleep-deprived enough not to care about that too much, so the window shades issues aren't so bad for me (the only issue is when people repeatedly open and close it, in which case it tends to wake me up) but some people are a lot more sensitive, and conversely I would happily eat with just the smallest light on with the window shades closed if I there are people sleeping anywhere near me.

I share that sentiment on so many different levels...
I tasted the vegan breakfast on my flight yesterday and was blown away by how much better it is compared to any other special meal (I tend to select special meals to introduce variety into a boring catering on monthly rolling). I think for any future breakfast I will stick with VEGAN
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:00 am

It's a pet hate of mine. Pretty much every long haul I've been on in recent years the crew come round and ask the window passengers to close the blinds, presumably in the hope everyone will go to sleep and leave them alone. I have my suspicions it's also why they often crank the heat up.

Some of the world's most impressive views are to be had through aircraft windows. I sit there on purpose.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by rapidex
No they dont, there is no lock. The doors are plug type doors, which allows the pressure differential between the pressurised cabin and the unpressurised exterior to keep the doors closed pushing on a set of seals.

If you unpressurise the aircraft you can open the doors at altitude, as per the smoke evacuation drill. Evacuating the smoke, not passengers.
I actually thought some aircraft do have a door lock system. I thought the 777 did for example and it activated at 80kts?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

I actually thought some aircraft do have a door lock system. I thought the 777 did for example and it activated at 80kts?
Depends on the aircraft. Newer Boeings lock the overwing exit doors once take off thrust is applied or a certain speed is reached.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: B A Gold
NFH ... Have you ever been on BA31 to Hong Kong and had such an issue before???

In May 2018 I had arrived LHR from JFK hurtled into London for a meeting and then just back to LHR before the Hong Kong flight closed. In 72 hours I had not had 12 hours sleep so relished the chance of a long night flight into Hong Kong. Was out for the count in 2A with perhaps 3 hours before landing when suddenly blinded by my blinds being opened.

I looked over expecting it to be CC readying the cabin for landing to find a Chinese gentleman reaching over me to operate my blinds. I must admit I was not very courteous and the CC quickly intervened. The chap was in 2E and was complaining of the same aflication and needing natural light before landing.

I was happy the CC kept him in his seat as I really was not in a good place and would have shortened the discussion significantly quicker than the crew did.

IF YOU HAVE THE CONTROLS IN YOUR SUITE ... YOUR HAVE THEIR CONTROL - PERIOD.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:46 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Dear OP,

Great maths question here (this will be familiar ground to pollsters!): We have a cabin of 35 passengers. Assuming the underlying cabin-light/cabin-dark preferences are evenly distributed amongst the 35 passengers, we then select a sample of 10 passengers from the group - if 100% of our 10 passenger sample prefers cabin-dark, what is the probability that a despite this sample, a majority of the overall group of 35 has a "cabin-light" preference?

Spoiler Alert: it's 0.01%

OP: it's time accept you're in a minority view on this.
It may be minoritaire but I am with him, although not so belignerntly. I like to have natural light. Hi and I sit together and on horrid AA it means that we have to sit in the centre and have this dictated to us. On BA we sit by the window. I had some woman the other day on a HNL-LAX moan to a Flight Attendant about our open blind. She, came and asked could we put it down. I said that we did not want to . Other people, cannot see their screens said she. Tough said I - my husband likes to look out - give her my compliments but a window seat implies that there is a window and a window is there so that one can look out. I went to the top of the popularity scale to my utmost indifference.

No, the OP is not alone.
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

Not the main doors. The smoke in the cabin evacuation checklist for the B747 is descent to 10000ft depressurise and open the L2 door. There is a lanyard in the emergency equipment to go over the door handle to stop it opening too far.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
It may be minoritaire but I am with him, although not so belignerntly. I like to have natural light. Hi and I sit together and on horrid AA it means that we have to sit in the centre and have this dictated to us. On BA we sit by the window. I had some woman the other day on a HNL-LAX moan to a Flight Attendant about our open blind. She, came and asked could we put it down. I said that we did not want to . Other people, cannot see their screens said she. Tough said I - my husband likes to look out - give her my compliments but a window seat implies that there is a window and a window is there so that one can look out. I went to the top of the popularity scale to my utmost indifference.

No, the OP is not alone.
Minority != Alone. The point being made is if there was a democratic decision then there is little chance that the majority would prefer windows open.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by tilal6991
Minority != Alone. The point being made is if there was a democratic decision then there is little chance that the majority would prefer windows open.
Democratic decision? What nonsense, this is an aircraft, not the Houses of Parliament. If you're not at a window, you have to put up with it, if not, I'll open or close them as and when I please.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Democratic decision? What nonsense, this is an aircraft, not the Houses of Parliament. If you're not at a window, you have to put up with it, if not, I'll open or close them as and when I please.
I do agree with you - I was just pointing out the argument being made by that poster!
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:52 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold

No, the OP is not alone.
Well done you. If you can't see the screen moan to the airline about the crap quality of their IFE equipment, not to the person legitimately looking out of the window provided.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by V10
Well done you. If you can't see the screen moan to the airline about the crap quality of their IFE equipment, not to the person legitimately looking out of the window provided.
My Dear it is rubbish isn't it? I far prefer watching my Ipad as the picture quality (and the content I might add - I've just watched Black Panther and how on earth it is rated for an Oscar is beyond me as it seems aimed at those who had not yet graduated to solid food (he is so hot and hunky that yes - I would be his Catwoman). That said both HI and I love the moving map. tilal6991 Bless you. XXX
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:24 am

Democratic decision? What nonsense, this is an aircraft, not the Houses of Parliament. If you're not at a window, you have to put up with it,.
Made me laugh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.