Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11½-hour daytime flight in darkness

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Whoever has the gold makes the rules, the golden rule

in this case who ever has the window makes the rules , the window rule
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC
7 pages in on my mobile...

And I thought this was about an aircraft and the lights not working for an 11hr flight!

I think there should ‘cabin window referendum’ before take off...but it may lead to a second referendum...

*sighs*

Not quite as entertaining as the Teddy Bear reunited thread.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze

I am with the OP - I do hate dayflights when the screens are down, it just feels weird. Having said that, I can see that if there is very bright sunlight it could be necessary to lower the blinds for a while.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:26 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I always choose a window seat for privacy in CW or because it’s a single in First. After take off the first thing I do on all flights is close the shades as it improves the IFE screen and also because invariably whether its a day or nighttime flight I’m going to try a get some sleep. The moral of the story here is if it’s so important pay to get a window seat so you have control or if all the seats are taken choose an alternative flight or suck on on it.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club.
My 2 pence worth as a new member.....

Most of my long haul flights have been overnight to JNB (although I have had a couple to USA West coast in the day), and personally as a slightly anxious flyer I like to be able to look out of the window, even if its just to 'try' and get a focal point, such as lights on the ground (no common flying over Africa, or clouds).

Anyway, if its dark outside I know I can darken and lighten the window without disturbing anyone, however next week we are flying to Durban, and the return flight is a day time flight of 12hrs. Must admit i'd like to be able to see some of the views, but i'm also considerate to what others want. I have in the past just got up and gone to the Galley window.

One last point. I consider paying for seat selection at the point of booking as part of the overall ticket cost. I would rather add £xx to my ticket price and know I have the seat I want on a 12hr flight, than risk chosing them at checkin, and then complain that my seats were rubbish (like so many on Seatguru).
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:59 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Since I’m travelling on a 787 soon, and it’s the 4:50pm ish departure from LAX, can anyone confirm that I can request my window stay unlocked and not dimmed until it gets dark, and that it’s policy for it to be my choice? I don’t have any need to wake anyone up in the morning, but if I can insist (within the rules) that I keep the light coming in after dinner then I will.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PxC
Since I’m travelling on a 787 soon, and it’s the 4:50pm ish departure from LAX, can anyone confirm that I can request my window stay unlocked and not dimmed until it gets dark, and that it’s policy for it to be my choice? I don’t have any need to wake anyone up in the morning, but if I can insist (within the rules) that I keep the light coming in after dinner then I will.
i noted my experience on that flight upthread. You don’t have to request anything, the cabin crew shouldn’t lock your windows at all. Ba policy is not to centrally lock the windows.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by KARFA

i noted my experience on that flight upthread. You don’t have to request anything, the cabin crew shouldn’t lock your windows at all. Ba policy is not to centrally lock the windows.
But they do lock the doors, don't they ??
deeruck and Pandra like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by tjcxx
No they dont, there is no lock. The doors are plug type doors, which allows the pressure differential between the pressurised cabin and the unpressurised exterior to keep the doors closed pushing on a set of seals.

If you unpressurise the aircraft you can open the doors at altitude, as per the smoke evacuation drill. Evacuating the smoke, not passengers.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by tjcxx
I don't think they need to: there are no burglars at 38,000 feet.

(And you can't open the doors in the air anyway.)
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club.
Originally Posted by PxC
Why would you want it dimmed at night, its naturally dark anyway :-p
flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PxC
A 4.50pm departure, flying north-east, means that you will probably have no more than an hour of daylight after take-off (depending on what exactly you mean by "soon"). It might even be getting dark outside before dinner service starts.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't think they need to: there are no burglars at 38,000 feet.

(And you can't open the doors in the air anyway.)
But there are on the ground. Some Vip/Royal flight aircraft have armed guards posted 24/7.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
I am flying to SCL in June and it will be dark for more than 14hours (the entire flight !!)
Do you think we should have the blinds up all the way ?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If it stays dark then they will remain clear but if it starts getting light be prepared for the crew to dim them but you should still be able to lighten them so you can see out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.