Search

Is My Connection Too Short?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Is My Connection Too Short?

Evening all,

I took advantage of the QR fare to Bangkok from Milan and we'd love to just get home asap but I'm guessing my connection would be too short between airlines on different tickets?

QR128 scheduled arrival time into Milan is 20:55
BA0581 scheduled departure into Heathrow is 21:50

Am I right in thinking they won't be able to check our bags straight through? Too short connection?

Thank you.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
MCT is one hour at Malpensa so by rights Qatar probably won't through check bags. Normally they would on separate tickets so long as MCT is respected, BA won't do it in the reverse direction.

As hand baggage only it is perfectly possible to do this, there is a transfer route via airside, and it won't take more than 15 minutes to do it gate to gate, so in theory you even have a bit of lounge time. But as ever any but the shortest of delays will mean you're up for the consequences of a lost ticket and no come back. So it's all about what Plan B looks like.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
MCT is one hour at Malpensa so by rights Qatar probably won't through check bags. Normally they would on separate tickets so long as MCT is respected, BA won't do it in the reverse direction.

As hand baggage only it is perfectly possible to do this, there is a transfer route via airside, and it won't take more than 15 minutes to do it gate to gate, so in theory you even have a bit of lounge time. But as ever any but the shortest of delays will mean you're up for the consequences of a lost ticket and no come back. So it's all about what Plan B looks like.
Sorry but OP indicated checked baggage. How is this possible?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eugegall
I took advantage of the QR fare to Bangkok from Milan and we'd love to just get home asap but I'm guessing my connection would be too short between airlines on different tickets?

QR128 scheduled arrival time into Milan is 20:55
BA0581 scheduled departure into Heathrow is 21:50

Am I right in thinking they won't be able to check our bags straight through? Too short connection?
You do not have a connection. Just the end of one flight and the start of another at the same airport.
QR128 DOH-MXP scheduled arrival 20:55
BA581 MXP-LHR scheduled departure 21:50
55 minutes to transfer
Far too tight for me, but all your risk. What is the walk up cost of a new flight on the day?

QR may interline as this thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...ar-2017-a.html
But these can never be guaranteed
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BAEC
Sorry but OP indicated checked baggage. How is this possible?
I think my first paragraph indicates it isn't possible (from what I can make out). The second paragraph i s a workaround for those OK with the risk
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What is the walk up cost of a new flight on the day?
MXP-LON very often has spare capacity with cheap last-minute fares (always check the LCCs) and same day avios availability.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even though QR will, in general check across tickets, it should not in this case as the ground time is below what would be MCT for a connection. The check-in deadline for luggage at MXP is T-60, so OP can't meet that unless his flight arrives vastly early.

If OP can figure out how to travel without checked bags, he is free to book what he wants, but accepts 100% of the responsibility for a delay on QR causing a missed departure on BA.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

MXP-LON very often has spare capacity with cheap last-minute fares (always check the LCCs) and same day avios availability.
Just not that late in the evening...
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks all.

Thought it might be too tight.

We'll get an airport hotel and get one of the earlier flights on the following day.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.