Is My Connection Too Short?

Reply

Old Jan 13, 19, 2:55 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: London(ish)
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 243
Is My Connection Too Short?

Evening all,

I took advantage of the QR fare to Bangkok from Milan and we'd love to just get home asap but I'm guessing my connection would be too short between airlines on different tickets?

QR128 scheduled arrival time into Milan is 20:55
BA0581 scheduled departure into Heathrow is 21:50

Am I right in thinking they won't be able to check our bags straight through? Too short connection?

Thank you.
eugegall is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 3:03 pm
  #2  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 36,849
MCT is one hour at Malpensa so by rights Qatar probably won't through check bags. Normally they would on separate tickets so long as MCT is respected, BA won't do it in the reverse direction.

As hand baggage only it is perfectly possible to do this, there is a transfer route via airside, and it won't take more than 15 minutes to do it gate to gate, so in theory you even have a bit of lounge time. But as ever any but the shortest of delays will mean you're up for the consequences of a lost ticket and no come back. So it's all about what Plan B looks like.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 3:08 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
MCT is one hour at Malpensa so by rights Qatar probably won't through check bags. Normally they would on separate tickets so long as MCT is respected, BA won't do it in the reverse direction.

As hand baggage only it is perfectly possible to do this, there is a transfer route via airside, and it won't take more than 15 minutes to do it gate to gate, so in theory you even have a bit of lounge time. But as ever any but the shortest of delays will mean you're up for the consequences of a lost ticket and no come back. So it's all about what Plan B looks like.
Sorry but OP indicated checked baggage. How is this possible?
BAEC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 3:08 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 12,844
Originally Posted by eugegall View Post
I took advantage of the QR fare to Bangkok from Milan and we'd love to just get home asap but I'm guessing my connection would be too short between airlines on different tickets?

QR128 scheduled arrival time into Milan is 20:55
BA0581 scheduled departure into Heathrow is 21:50

Am I right in thinking they won't be able to check our bags straight through? Too short connection?
You do not have a connection. Just the end of one flight and the start of another at the same airport.
QR128 DOH-MXP scheduled arrival 20:55
BA581 MXP-LHR scheduled departure 21:50
55 minutes to transfer
Far too tight for me, but all your risk. What is the walk up cost of a new flight on the day?

QR may interline as this thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...ar-2017-a.html
But these can never be guaranteed
Mwenenzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 3:19 pm
  #5  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 36,849
Originally Posted by BAEC View Post
Sorry but OP indicated checked baggage. How is this possible?
I think my first paragraph indicates it isn't possible (from what I can make out). The second paragraph i s a workaround for those OK with the risk
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 3:25 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,120
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
What is the walk up cost of a new flight on the day?
MXP-LON very often has spare capacity with cheap last-minute fares (always check the LCCs) and same day avios availability.
Ldnn1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 3:49 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 39,126
Even though QR will, in general check across tickets, it should not in this case as the ground time is below what would be MCT for a connection. The check-in deadline for luggage at MXP is T-60, so OP can't meet that unless his flight arrives vastly early.

If OP can figure out how to travel without checked bags, he is free to book what he wants, but accepts 100% of the responsibility for a delay on QR causing a missed departure on BA.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 3:53 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Programs: OW Emerald, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hyatt EXplor, IHG AMB Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,920
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post


MXP-LON very often has spare capacity with cheap last-minute fares (always check the LCCs) and same day avios availability.
Just not that late in the evening...
Ldnn1 likes this.
jms_uk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 4:00 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: London(ish)
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 243
Thanks all.

Thought it might be too tight.

We'll get an airport hotel and get one of the earlier flights on the following day.

Cheers
eugegall is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: