FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Is My Connection Too Short? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1950806-my-connection-too-short.html)

eugegall Jan 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Is My Connection Too Short?

Evening all,

I took advantage of the QR fare to Bangkok from Milan and we'd love to just get home asap but I'm guessing my connection would be too short between airlines on different tickets?

QR128 scheduled arrival time into Milan is 20:55
BA0581 scheduled departure into Heathrow is 21:50

Am I right in thinking they won't be able to check our bags straight through? Too short connection?

Thank you.

corporate-wage-slave Jan 13, 2019 2:03 pm

MCT is one hour at Malpensa so by rights Qatar probably won't through check bags. Normally they would on separate tickets so long as MCT is respected, BA won't do it in the reverse direction.

As hand baggage only it is perfectly possible to do this, there is a transfer route via airside, and it won't take more than 15 minutes to do it gate to gate, so in theory you even have a bit of lounge time. But as ever any but the shortest of delays will mean you're up for the consequences of a lost ticket and no come back. So it's all about what Plan B looks like.

BAEC Jan 13, 2019 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30650012)
MCT is one hour at Malpensa so by rights Qatar probably won't through check bags. Normally they would on separate tickets so long as MCT is respected, BA won't do it in the reverse direction.

As hand baggage only it is perfectly possible to do this, there is a transfer route via airside, and it won't take more than 15 minutes to do it gate to gate, so in theory you even have a bit of lounge time. But as ever any but the shortest of delays will mean you're up for the consequences of a lost ticket and no come back. So it's all about what Plan B looks like.

Sorry but OP indicated checked baggage. How is this possible?

Mwenenzi Jan 13, 2019 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by eugegall (Post 30649981)
I took advantage of the QR fare to Bangkok from Milan and we'd love to just get home asap but I'm guessing my connection would be too short between airlines on different tickets?

QR128 scheduled arrival time into Milan is 20:55
BA0581 scheduled departure into Heathrow is 21:50

Am I right in thinking they won't be able to check our bags straight through? Too short connection?

You do not have a connection. Just the end of one flight and the start of another at the same airport.
QR128 DOH-MXP scheduled arrival 20:55
BA581 MXP-LHR scheduled departure 21:50
55 minutes to transfer
Far too tight for me, but all your risk. What is the walk up cost of a new flight on the day?

QR may interline as this thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...ar-2017-a.html
But these can never be guaranteed

corporate-wage-slave Jan 13, 2019 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by BAEC (Post 30650031)
Sorry but OP indicated checked baggage. How is this possible?

I think my first paragraph indicates it isn't possible (from what I can make out). The second paragraph i s a workaround for those OK with the risk

Ldnn1 Jan 13, 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 30650036)
What is the walk up cost of a new flight on the day?

MXP-LON very often has spare capacity with cheap last-minute fares (always check the LCCs) and same day avios availability.

Often1 Jan 13, 2019 2:49 pm

Even though QR will, in general check across tickets, it should not in this case as the ground time is below what would be MCT for a connection. The check-in deadline for luggage at MXP is T-60, so OP can't meet that unless his flight arrives vastly early.

If OP can figure out how to travel without checked bags, he is free to book what he wants, but accepts 100% of the responsibility for a delay on QR causing a missed departure on BA.

jms_uk Jan 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 30650096)

MXP-LON very often has spare capacity with cheap last-minute fares (always check the LCCs) and same day avios availability.

Just not that late in the evening...

eugegall Jan 13, 2019 3:00 pm

Thanks all.

Thought it might be too tight.

We'll get an airport hotel and get one of the earlier flights on the following day.

Cheers