Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CDG-BOS-LHR Trip Report in Business then First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

I was surprised by the responses to my first (maybe) trip report so I thought I'd go ahead and post another one.

Spent Dec 27 to Jan 3 in Paris for New Year's celebrations.

PARIS:

Overall I found Paris to be much better than my last visit. I always try to use basic phrases in the native language when I travel, but in the past this was met with an overall sour attitude in Paris.

This time was a marked change. So much so that I actually want to go back!

On this trip I found the Parisians to be pleasant, happy that I, at a minimum greeted them in french, and more than happy to speak english once they realized my ability to converse in their language was short.

CDG:

For our flight back to BOS we arrived at CDG at terminal 2A 0530 for our 0730 flight. I was worried about security, immigration, etc., but there were no issues. We were literally, the first people there. You have to walk through the duty free shop to get into the terminal, and we were there before the shop opened at 0600.

We arrived at the Cathay Pacific lounge right as it opened at 0600. Food and drink selection were nice (cheese, meat, cereal, pastries, etc.). They had real French champagne, but it didn't suit my palate. Coffee machine was very nice. Had several coffees.

Only downside was a family of 4 decided to take over an 8 seat area of the, albeit empty, lounge, and run wild. The children were totally out of control, the mother downed champagne as fast as possible, and the dad was on speaker phone w/ someone. It was ridiculous.

After a stay there we made our way to the gate.

Boarding was pretty smooth. One thing I did notice on these short BA flights is they do not serve pre-departure beverages. Is that normal?

Flight and crew were great.

Landed in main portion of terminal 5 at LHR. Had to go back through security as usual, and it was pretty slow even in the priority line.

LHR:

Made our way to the Concorde Room.

We went straight to the dining area, and had breakfast. I had the Concorde Benedict which was fantastic. SO had the California Benedict. She enjoyed it especially with some of my pork added to it.

Service was great. The same lady who waited on us during our inbound visit on the patio was in the dining area that morning. Good to see a familiar face.

We made our way to the bar. Service at the bar was great, and friendly. Never an empty glass. Those guys stay busy!

I took a quick shower while SO had her spa treatment. Once she returned I went for my spa treatment, and after that it was time to go.

Side not, the showers, and especially the bathrooms, in the Concorde Room are in desperate need of updating.

We departed from the B gates. Boarding was a bit of a mess. There were lines, but folks were in line for group 1 who should not be there. Finally, an older gate agent walked over to the stand, and announced for anyone in group 1 to board. So we walked past all these folks in the wrong line, and as we did heard the gate agent who made the announcement apologize to the other gate agent for being so forceful with the announcement, and taking control of the situation. I'm not sure whether there was a breakdown in communication on whether they were supposed to board yet or not, but it was a mess.

We were the first on the plane except for 1A and 1K. 1K put his stuff in my bin, and it always annoys the crap out of me when someone puts their stuff in my bin, but I simply put my bag in the front locker instead. That was easier for me anyway as my bag, that I love, doesn't love the 747 overhead bins.

Once on board the crew were great, again. They were all lovely, and very British.

We preordered the filet. It was tasty, but overdone. A shame really. The meat would've been quite nice medium rare.

Service was fantastic. Plenty of champagne. Didn't even have to ask most of the time, and we did not run out this time. The crew was eager to chat with passengers. There was not a single thing about our interactions that were mechanical. It was all genuine.

Took a nap, woke up, coffee, another snack, more champagne, etc.

Very smooth flight, landed early, and arrived at the gate quickly.

Overall, another great experience for me on BA in First.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:30 pm

Good to hear you had another good experience in F.

Originally Posted by ibmman69
...We were the first on the plane except for 1A and 1K. 1K put his stuff in my bin, and it always annoys the crap out of me when someone puts their stuff in my bin, but I simply put my bag in the front locker instead. That was easier for me anyway as my bag, that I love, doesn't love the 747 overhead bins..
If this was on the 747, I sympathise, as it also annoys me if I'm in row 2! Truth is though, we don't own the bin above our seats and row 1 don't have an overhead bin, so their closest bin is row 2 or to use the cupboard at the front. I read here recently that row 1 can sometimes try to be the first to board to ensure they nab the row 2 lockers! Maybe that happened here...
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

I figure that folks who snatched 1A and 1K would have done it enough to know you use the locker. The guy in 1A put his bag in the locker after he saw me do it!

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Good to hear you had another good experience in F.

If this was on the 747, I sympathise, as it also annoys me if I'm in row 2! Truth is though, we don't own the bin above our seats and row 1 don't have an overhead bin, so their closest bin is row 2 or to use the cupboard at the front. I read here recently that row 1 can sometimes try to be the first to board to ensure they nab the row 2 lockers! Maybe that happened here...
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:38 pm

I figure that folks who snatched 1A and 1K would have done it enough to know you use the locker. The guy in 1A put his bag in the locker after he saw me do it!
Haha this sounds quite territorial!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Haha this sounds quite territorial!
And where do you expect 4/5EF to put theirs?

thanks for the great trip report.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Closest available locker
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

I was very angry in November on a domestic United flight where the guy in row 1, along w/ his family, put their stuff in my bin. They were also upgrades.

My large bag will fit under the seat, and my small bag will fit almost anywhere, but it still annoys me. Some of it is the design of the planes w/ the stowage for the safety demonstration equipment.

Maybe it's an American thing, but why do you think you should occupy someone else's bin? You paid for your space, and I paid for mine. If there's an issue ask for help. Don't infringe on my space.

Originally Posted by highpeaklad

thanks for the great trip report.
Closest available locker
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:21 pm

I was very angry in November on a domestic United flight where the guy in row 1, along w/ his family, put their stuff in my bin. They were also upgrades.

My large bag will fit under the seat, and my small bag will fit almost anywhere, but it still annoys me. Some of it is the design of the planes w/ the stowage for the safety demonstration equipment.

Maybe it's an American thing, but why do you think you should occupy someone else's bin? You paid for your space, and I paid for mine. If there's an issue ask for help. Don't infringe on my space.
I think that highpeaklad is pointing out that in the 747 F 4EF and 5EF don't have overhead lockers, so must use the lockers down the side. So, the lockers are not really ours!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Great TR. Had a similarly good flight to BOS in First on Thursday. Will post TR. Service in CCR noticeably better.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

I understand what he means, but to be the 3rd passenger on the plane and have a full bin is a disappointing. I wouldn't invade the someone else's space without a conversation. I get that's why you have 3 checked bags, but I've never, not once, checked a bag.

There is a lack of stowage in this cabin. Probably a result of the era of the design. To me, it's a respect issue. Don't put your stuff in my space without talking to me about it first.

I think that highpeaklad is pointing out that in the 747 F 4EF and 5EF don't have overhead lockers, so must use the lockers down the side. So, the lockers are not really ours!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sealink
Great TR. Had a similarly good flight to BOS in First on Thursday. Will post TR. Service in CCR noticeably better.
You mean better from previous experience? I don't want anyone to think I thought the service in the CCR was bad!

Last edited by ibmman69; Jan 13, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
From previous experience!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Have to laugh at the indignation over the overheads! The overhead locker isn’t ‘your’ space. The seat is yours and the overheads are for everyone in the cabin...reminds me of one of the DYKWIA stories of the lady who removed other peoples bags and left them in the aisle because they were in ‘her’ overhead locker!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I agree, the seat is your space the bins are shared space.
BearX220 and ijkh like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Don't put your stuff in my space without talking to me about it first.
With great respect, it is not your space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.