Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radio in LHR T5 South showers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Radio in LHR T5 South showers

I really liked being able to turn on the radio to BBC Radio One and turn through a few stations as of just 2-3 years ago in these showers. Since then, half the radios are broken and the other half only stay on one station. The staff are surprised when I mention something about it and nothing ever changes.

Why not fix this? It’s such a small thing, but it’s really not because it’s quite unique to this lounge. Anyone else notice this?

this would be perfect for a “least substantive thing you can complain about” thread like there is in the AA forum, but alas that thread does not exist here.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
It wasn’t working in the shower I used in the T5 arrivals lounge the other week either. A small point, but things like this not working just seems shoddy to me. This is bog standard audio kit which shouldn’t be difficult to put right, I just wonder if it hasn’t made it onto any sort of defects log despite you (and I) mentioning it to staff.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
more than likely, BA know about it but don't prioritise solving it. given the long list of issues they get complaints about, this is probably very low on the backlog...
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
It feels like it has been a few years since I've had a shower with a working radio. There is always the rhythmic slurping noise that comes from the drain, though.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
VS have it too, although their showers are even more dated!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:43 pm

I bring my own waterproof Bluetooth speaker and have my cellphone in a waterproof case and use TuneIn and voila I can tune into any radio station. Or I carry a Shower CD/Radio in my suitcase and use that. I set my phone away from any humidity or water and just turn on the online radio station I like.

BTW back in August 1998 I used VTuner/Real Player to tune into NRJ from Paris using a DIalup connection! Then when we got Cable High Speed Internet in August 1999( I remember that day fondly) I could tune into online radio without a major buffering issue.

I do this at hotels worldwide so if I am in London I can tune in to Paris if I am in the US I can tune into France etc.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I try to get out of the showers in T5 as quickly as possible. Any more than a couple of minutes and you have almost no chance of drying yourself off in the Singapore style humidity
VSLover, HIDDY and wiluk like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
agree--such a small thing but having the radio is a nice thing to have! the last few times its usually only one station or nothing at all. perhaps that singapore humidity of the rooms got to the wiring

but would imagine it is a small fix but we all know how THAT works!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
On the basis that they haven't fixed the stench of the toilets in years I would imagine that radios in the showers aren't even on the list. Every time I'm asked for lounge feedback I mention the former and get no response.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What a strange thing to have in a shower.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by VSLover
agree--such a small thing but having the radio is a nice thing to have! the last few times its usually only one station or nothing at all. perhaps that singapore humidity of the rooms got to the wiring
They really do need to improve the ventilation. I completely concur about the humidity. It is awful. If you have long hair, even worse when you use a hair-dryer.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
I once got a bang on the shower door in T5 Arrivals lounge - I was playing the radio through my phone (inevitably the in-shower radio was broken) - and apparently loudly enough to disturb someone trying to sleep... oops.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
VS have these in their arrivals lounge (at least, maybe more). I used it a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised, and it reminded me of the old days in T5 when they all worked.

As has been said above though, given the stupidly high temperatures, I've given up with showers at T5 as I invariably end up even sweatier after using them! Maybe that's why it's so hot in there, to avoid us using the showers?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ChrL
It feels like it has been a few years since I've had a shower with a working radio. There is always the rhythmic slurping noise that comes from the drain, though.
Ha. I know exactly. Have only ever used the showers in the arrival lounge and I can hear that sound in my ears now. Like some sort of creature is pounding the water down its throat beneath the drain
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:54 am

How long do people need in the shower such that a radio is needed😉

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.