Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Outbound flight missed - inbound still showing as confirmed,am I safe?

Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Back in October I missed my outbound reward flight from HKG to LHR. I had checked in (moral of the story not to have a nice relaxing massage in the pier and a few drinks without setting an alarm). Had a discussion with BA/avios (was a Lloyd's upgrade booking) but there was nothing they could do to help. I got myself back with another reward flight and assumed I'd lost the return back to HKG.

But the return flight in March is still showing up as confirmed and I can access it and play around with seats - indeed in the app it says the outbound was flown. For obvious reasons I don't want to phone BA to check but I am concerned that it is actually cancelled and I'll only find out at OLCI. Any advice on how to get reassurance.

(Separately if anyone had any good one ways tp runs/interesting hols from Asia back to UK ideas gratefully accepted - best I've found so far is cmb to Paris for Ł900 on qr/sl combined with Ł430 pvg to male)

Thank you!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:27 am

When you look a the booking in the app, is there a ticket number beginning 125- still showing there?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Normally your return would indeed auto-cancel, though agents can sometimes show mercy by protecting returns.

HKG computer system also has some limitations in it, so it's possible this may work. However until you get to the gate you can have no security on this, and no-one here will be able to confirm it one way or the other. So you are in the land of might/maybe/who knows.

As for alternatives, you would getting better advice if you could put specific dates - though obviously you best not do this in terms of the specific flight above. But Qatar and Sri Lanka are good places to check, also Royal Jordanian and perhaps Cathay via Moscow. Such is the market for fares that making general statements won't be useful, it's entirely route and date specific - next day the exact same flight could be twice the price.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd just bite the bullet and phone them up. The uncertainty is not worth the hassle.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'd just bite the bullet and phone them up. The uncertainty is not worth the hassle.
The fact that the flight is still there is more or less irrelevant if you miss the outbound flight and the fare doesnt allow noshows the return will no longer be valid for travel.
HIDDY and orbitmic like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Originally Posted by Anonba
The fact that the flight is still there is more or less irrelevant if you miss the outbound flight and the fare doesnt allow noshows the return will no longer be valid for travel.
And that neatly illustrates why ringing up does no good at all, other than to perhaps fast track the sectors' deletion.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: QF Gold
Just show up for the flight.

If they say you didn't fly, insist that you did.
David7 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by davem4

Ah, the old Jedi mind trick?
golfmad likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
Ah, the old Jedi mind trick?
"I'm not the no-show, you're looking for" ?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium

This is why I love y’all Brits! Cheeky Buggers y’all are!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I suppose you would know at OLCI 24 hours before - or at least, know that you most likely won't make it if you can't check-in.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond

Once I had a return flight cancelled as Turkish airlines said I hadn't flown the outward leg. When I turned up at the airport, it was just like this, although eventually they did re-ticket me on the flight. However, your situation doesn't sound quite as straight forward and I had actually flown the outward leg.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have some flexibility as to your return date and have enough miles, you may want to see if you can find an award flight a couple of days later as an insurance policy. This would give you the flexibility to cancel if you can board the return flight OK while providing a safety net if things do not go to plan. You'd have to pay the cancellation fee but that is a small price to pay for peace of mind, imo.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I missed my outbound flight to Spain and the return still showed as live. But I couldn't check in for it, just returned an error message. As I wasn't in Spain I declined to pursue it.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
When you look a the booking in the app, is there a ticket number beginning 125- still showing there?
Yes but not sure whether I can take any comfort from that.

Thaks for all the reponses - sounds like calling up is probably the best option - just have to think of a reason to ask them to check it that doesn't lead to its cancellation...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.