FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Customer for Life (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1950364-customer-life.html)

ThrowingBoeing Jan 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Customer for Life

BA attracts criticism from all angles and in many cases it is rightfully deserved, be it quality of hot towel or presentation of mixer for G&T ;) However today they did something which has gained them a customer for life. I was due to fly on today's BA269 but I was unable to travel due to a family member's ill health. Unfortunately, their health took a steep decline in the night and it is likely they will pass away in the coming hours. Less than 12 hours before the flight I rang BAEC more out of hope more than expectation that I might be able to cancel the flight and at least get some avios back as it was a redemption booking. In less than two minutes on the phone and wanting no proof or medical records BA had changed my ticket from a redemption booking to an open ticket valid for use anytime within the next year. I am both amazed and grateful for this wonderful gesture at what is not an easy time.

carrington1 Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm

I am sorry for what you are going through. And I’m glad BA did what they did to, at least, give you some piece of mind. They did something similar for me when my mother unexectedly died one evening while I was overseas. They helped me to return home on the first flight home the following morning and the woman who checked me in not only upgraded me because she said she wanted me to be comfortable in such sad circumstances, but she then asked if she could come around from behind her desk and give me a hug...which she did...and which made me burst into tears because of,her kindnesses. This was four years ago and I am still so grateful.

cjb666 Jan 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by carrington1 (Post 30638865)
I am sorry for what you are going through. And I’m glad BA did what they did to, at least, give you some piece of mind. They did something similar for me when my mother unexectedly died one evening while I was overseas. They helped me to return home on the first flight home the following morning and the woman who checked me in not only upgraded me because she said she wanted me to be comfortable in such sad circumstances, but she then asked if she could come around from behind her desk and give me a hug...which she did...and which made me burst into tears because of,her kindnesses. This was four years ago and I am still so grateful.

They did something very similar for my family a few years ago

navylad Jan 10, 2019 5:33 pm

So sorry to hear of the news but glad BA were able to help.

Steve in Olympia Jan 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Any minute now, someone will come along here and mention that BA last week botched up their Kir Royale.

ijkh Jan 10, 2019 6:12 pm

At least they have a kir royale. I am a BA fan after their TLC when I got injured overseas on vacation. The kir royale was the best pain medication. It wasn't cheap but they accommodated us very kindly. Now we will be using BA for our annual treks across the sea on a regular basis. Thanks for posting something positive.

Ldnn1 Jan 10, 2019 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia (Post 30639080)
Any minute now, someone will come along here and mention that BA last week botched up their Kir Royale.

I won't mention that, but I might just add a positive note that many other airlines do this too - including low-costs - so I wouldn't really see it as a reason to devote oneself to BA.

jmj9905 Jan 10, 2019 6:44 pm

I will just say that as an AA flyer in the us I don't get as much opportunity to fly ba. However we have flown them to africa, turkey etc. Usually on award tickets(aa miles) in premium cabins. I have always found them to be very good. Perhaps not as good as cx or jl but heads and shoulders above aa.

Worcester Jan 11, 2019 2:13 am

Originally Posted by carrington1 (Post 30638865)

The one reoccuring positive theme on this board is that the best aspect of BA is the staff.

Expatbear Jan 11, 2019 2:54 am

BA staff have shown me incredible kindness at moments of distress too, and I remain grateful to them. The staff are indeed fantastic.

Sending comforting thoughts to you and your family during the coming hours and days.

frandrake Jan 11, 2019 3:00 am

Similar gesture for me as well. I booked a redemption ticket to Milan for the holidays with my family, unfortunately I was forced to buy redeem tickets flying into MXP as LIN was not available anymore.

My mum fell seriously ill on 12 Dec evening, rang BA to check whether we could bring our flight forward by 10 days and not only they did so for the three of us but they also had us land in LIN which was a major plus in the situation. I only paid the 35 EUR booking change fee.

The same paid flight would have costed 600 EUR + and would have voided the return leg.

I often criticise BA, but I must say the way the BAEC programme works and the overall quality of service staff is amazing. When I was flying CX the hard and soft product on board was undoubtedly better than BA, but good luck trying to talk to one of their service staff. A 1975 robot would be smarter.

dddc Jan 11, 2019 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 30639124)
I won't mention that, but I might just add a positive note that many other airlines do this too - including low-costs - so I wouldn't really see it as a reason to devote oneself to BA.

Regrettably I have been travelling with other OW partners to visit my ill mother and grandmother who passed away on separate trips. The first charged me the change fee, the second I'd actually paid a higher fare for greater flexibility, but that still involved a small change fee which wasn't waved. I did have to spend nearly an hour on the phone when I was shifting flights for a 2nd time which were supposed to be free at that stage. Thankfully the call centre person persevered and I eventually understood the fare rules I'd purchased after a couple of chats with her supervisor. Not really the thing I wanted to be doing with my time, but hey ho.

flatlander Jan 11, 2019 4:39 am

A business can achieve very high retention of customers with problems if they resolve them to the customer's satisfaction. Loyalty can be even higher after a successfully resolved problem with the product or service than the loyalty was before the problem happened.

As in this instance.

I hope your life and travels are happier in future.

CharlotteC Jan 11, 2019 4:48 am

Kindness and consideration are so important and it can’t be beaten particularly when combined with good personal customer service - good on you BA! Thank you for posting positive things too so often all we see are complaints and rants... I hope 2019 improves

VSLover Jan 11, 2019 6:49 am

last may i was set to fly SFO-LAX-LHR in CW but had a bout of food poisoning. that combined with traffic i missed the check in cut off for the first leg to LAX (had bag to check) and after a back and forth with AA/BA they booked me on the non-stop SFO-LHR...which i missed as well due to not getting to the international terminal with enough time. so another call, they booked me next evening SFO-LHR -- no questions asked which shocked me as i was fully expecting to pay several hundred $$$ -- and i was not on a flexible ticket.

i've never had such personal issues, but thats when i knew BA loyalty pays off in the end when you really need it.