Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customer for Life

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:38 am

My sympathies to OP
It's comforting to read your experience as I am in a situation I might have to travel soon with very short notice for less than a pleasant reason. Of course I wouldn't bank on BA to open up last minute reward availability or be lenient with changes but it's good to know that it is indeed possible in those difficult circumstances.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
An agent at T5 gave my girlfriend and I a significant hand when we realised that her passport only have 4 months remaining the day we were due to fly to Dubal.

It was the first time we had managed to travel in First and was potentially a very costly schoolboy error on our part. I was bracing myself to stump up a fortune for a ticket down the back so we didn’t lose our nonrefundable hotel.

He took pity and allowed us to be moved to commercial standby (it was a redemption), giving us an opportunity to spend a day at the passport office before getting a later service.

Absolutely didn’t have to do it, much appreciated and my custom has continued since!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While not universal, many airlines will show compassion when you are unable to travel due to the death or serious ill-health of a close relative. When my mother died, both AA and CX were very gracious in letting me cancel forthcoming flights without penalty.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by NickB
While not universal, many airlines will show compassion when you are unable to travel due to the death or serious ill-health of a close relative. When my mother died, both AA and CX were very gracious in letting me cancel forthcoming flights without penalty.
That reminds me that when my mother died I had to cancel a trip with AA. The fare was non-refundable which was pointed out by the agent although she was kind and sympathetic. I had planned to claim on my insurance but to my surprise and delight 1 day later my credit card showed a full refund. That kind of thing has more positive impact on the perception of a seller than all the PR and advertising gurus could ever generate.

Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by NickB
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
That reminds me that when my mother died I had to cancel a trip with AA. The fare was non-refundable which was pointed out by the agent although she was kind and sympathetic. I had planned to claim on my insurance but to my surprise and delight 1 day later my credit card showed a full refund. That kind of thing has more positive impact on the perception of a seller than all the PR and advertising gurus could ever generate.

For the little I know, many restricted fare have written in the rules something on the line "waived for death of passenger, companion or relative" when it comes to cancellations.

Unfortunately I just had to use that waiver a couple of months ago with SN. The weird part is after sending the e-mail with the request and related documents I never had a single communication from any airline representative, not even a "we've received your query and will look into it". Not even a message for sending the refund. I just found the tickets refund when checking the CC statement.
I'm not complaining, the outcome was favorable and they were also quick enough... but tasted weird not having any mail from them.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I twice had family/health issues in my BA life. Once within the 24h no-change period before the flight on award. Each time the call agent accommodated me without having to show any proof. Maybe Gold status helped. But it is clearly BA policy (not the agent initiative) to show kindness in those cases.
I had a very different experience on AF.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Fortunately less seriously than death or hospitalisation, but still had an urgent personal crisis at home that meant I had to get home ASAP a few years ago.

I got the company travel agents to rebook my return to, I thought, the same day. However, under stress I got the dates wrong and it was actually the next day. The BA staff at SFO took mercy on me and put me on standby on the next flight when I arrived at the airport. Now, it may have helped that I was on a (discount) F ticket at the time and I said I would happily accept Club or even Traveller, but I still feel like quite some ticket rules were overridden to get me onto that flight in the last available Club seat.

Since I'm still in the same domestic relationship some years later, having got over that crisis, I do feel a distinct gratitude towards BA and particularly the staff in SFO even now.

I was deep in the s*** and they got me out of it and they didn't have to do it. I don't forget things like that too quickly.

( I did send in a non-specific "great job by your SFO crew" to BA, not wanting to draw too much attention to a possible breach of rules, and if BA does the right thing for you then you should also send in as detailed a compliments form as possible. BA doesn't know the positive customer impact and only the negative costs unless you use their feedback system to tell them this, as well as the Internet discussion forum.)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: ba lifetime gold, MAS gold, hhonors gold
I had a similar experience when I sustained a fractured femur in Antigua a year ago. BA changed my flight date and organised wheelchair assistance without any hassle or proof being required, earning my lifetime loyalty.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by frandrake
When I was flying CX the hard and soft product on board was undoubtedly better than BA, but good luck trying to talk to one of their service staff. A 1975 robot would be smarter.
And yet when my father had a fall, causing a brain haemorrhage, and his death a couple of days later, CX were wonderful and managed to get me a seat on a fully booked flight less than three hours after I heard the news that he was not expected to recover (literally three hours, in which time, after getting the call from my family, I had to change and get clothes together, go from my home to my office to get my passport as I had been expecting to go on a work trip a couple of days later, get to the airport and get on the plane). Sadly I didn't make it in time, but CX couldn't have been more helpful.

When my mother went into hospital for cancer surgery a few years later, I had arranged to fly over for a week to care for her after she came out (on the basis I couldn't help much while she was in hospital, so it was more useful for me to stay with her when she returned home), but when complications set in and it became apparent she would die too, CX again managed to get me on a flight the same night. On that occasion, thanks to heroic efforts from the car transfer company who got me from Heathrow to the hospital in what must surely be a record time, I was able to give my farewells.

None of this detracts from OP's support from BA in difficult circumstances - good for them. However, as others have said, they are not the only airline to be supportive. I hope frandrake's disappointment with CX didn't arise in similar circumstances to those of OP's, but if it did I have two examples to counter it.

Nonetheless, these are always incredibly difficult and stressful situations and I am glad that BA were able to support OP, and it is good to hear of cases of this sort of help being offered to others.

My condolences to all who have suffered from this sort of loss, and my thanks to the staff of all kinds - airlines, car transfer companies, or whoever, who go out of their way to help people (like me, OP and others) who are rushing to be at the bedsides of their loved ones.
NickB, flygirl68, GrayBDG and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
My mother was visiting her brother in the US, when he committed suicide. She tried to change the flights home as the Police wanted to interview her , she had to arrange funeral etc... BA couldn't have cared less. Made her buy a new,one way full fare ticket- very disappointing.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
I treated my friend, who has incurable breast cancer to a jolly in J to Dubai in December using my Avios while she was still well enough to travel. I did mention it to the crew because she had never, ever travelled in J (UD 747) and I wanted it to be such a special trip for her. They were fantastic and showered her with gifts from First. She was in tears. After landing the Captain invited us into the cockpit, sat us in their seats and took an official photo of us on an iPad type thing and sent it to our email addresses. It shows us in the seats with all the plane/flight details, name of Captain, registration CIVZ etc., I have it framed. I sent a compliment email but never had anything back. A trip to remember.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
People knock BA, but we all have a choice of airlines. But I still prefer BA because I genuinely believe they attract more "human" staff than the low-cost carriers. Ryanair and Easyjet have little leeway; BA seem to give their staff discretion, and I think that counts for a lot. I have not (yet) been in the same circumstances as the OP, but when my brother died when I was mid-flight somewhere (he was on the ground!) they were very helpful with travel plans.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
My sympathies to the OP.
BA are not always so sensitive.
When SWMBO was diagnosed with Breast cancer, I had to cancel a family trip to Florida, which was 4 returns in Avios.
Rang BA who would cancel, but who had no interest in returning the Avios. I was Gold at the time.
Had to write snail mail to then CEO to get them back.
Eventually we got them back, but no thanks to the phone based CS.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
People knock BA, but we all have a choice of airlines. .
Indeed...except those who are forever moaning about BA it would seem.
Silver Fox and navylad like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blueboys999

SImilar Story here. I planned a trip to Los Angeles with my stepdad. Weeks before departure but he had a series of strokes. The call center agent from British Airways here in Bremen was kind And helped me. They put all the paperwork on hold and told me to look after my family first. although he won’t be Able to fly anymore I could Reschedule my flight on the Easter holiday. I’m so thankful for the British Airways team I am n easter holiday. I’m so thankful for the British Airways team I know with which airline I’m flying in the future.
Shingi and navylad like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.