Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it worth going to Manchester for the Concorde Room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Flying F redemption to Vegas in June on BA275 which is scheduled to leave T3 at 16.40. Really looking forward to it but slightly disappointed we wont get to enjoy the Concorde Room.

We live north of Birmingham 3h20 away from LHR by train. We are also 2hrs away from MAN by train. There is Avios CE availability on BA1389 and BA1391 MAN-LHR which would get us into T5 for 10.55 or 13.15 respectively.

Essentially setting off a little earlier and a few extra Avios could get us the CCR for a few hours before we transfer to T3 rather than (or as well as) the T3 F lounges.

Am I correct in thinking we could use the CCR on arrival inT5 if we did this? Would it be worth the effort? Should we just stick with the T3 F lounges?

If we chose to do it could I just call up to just add MAN-LHR to the redemption booking and pay the Avios and change fee or would it need to be on a separate ticket (which would be a bit too much of a risk for me)

Would be grateful for thoughts.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mastutio
Am I correct in thinking we could use the CCR on arrival inT5 if we did this? Would it be worth the effort?
No and no.

You will not be permitted access to airside T5 since you will not have a BP for a flight departing from there.

Honestly, as much as is portrayed on FT, the CCR is not some exclusive members club - it is a waiting room with a bit of free grub and booze. They even give the likes of me a card to access it whenever I fly from T5.
mastutio, BA5E, oxtailsoup and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
On the plus side you can do a nice "lounge crawl" in T3!
mastutio, BA5E, OldFruity and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
you will not be able to get "airside" at T5 after you arrival from MAN into T5.

However you can console yourself with the fact that T3 is hone to a fine selection of OW lounges you can use. I personally wouldnt visit AA, But CX f, BA F and Qantus are all very good lounges.
My favourite is CX F, I like the food and drink selection there and in their business side of the lounge too
navylad, mastutio and BA5E like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:35 am

I’d take a T3 lounge crawl taking in the CX and QF Lounges over CCR any day
mastutio likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Honestly, the CX lounge in T3 may not have LPGS but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit the CCR instead. Certainly not adding 5 or more hours to my journey time and the additional possibility of a misconnect if bad weather.
mastutio likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much all. Looking forward to the T3 crawl!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
But you would get access if you did this on the return.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
If you are in F on the return, then it could be worth returning to MAN on the same day as then you would be able to access CCR by virtue of your inbound boarding pass.

No extra Avios are needed to add domestic sectors onto the ends of a long haul reward booking, just a few extra Ł. If you are taking the train (ie no car abandoned at LHR) then that would be worth it IMO.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If the OP purchased a LHR - MAN ticket for the day of his return from LAS, would he be able to access the CCR once he's transferred from T3 to T5, by showing his LAS - LHR First boarding pass?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by Contador
If the OP purchased a LHR - MAN ticket for the day of his return from LAS, would he be able to access the CCR once he's transferred from T3 to T5, by showing his LAS - LHR First boarding pass?
Yes and it would be a practically free addition - no Avios needed.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I wouldn't bother with the crawl unless you have loads of time. CX F is where you need to be.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:21 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I would enjoy the T3 Lounges- the T5 CCR is nicer than each of the individual lounges in T3 but I prefer the T3 lounges in combination.
CX for food and F dining room, AA for Moet rose and sweets.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Contador
If it's on a separate ticket would BA check the bags through? I strongly suspect that there would be a requirement to collect the bags, go landside, and re-check for the flight to MAN and that might well impact the ability to use the CCR..

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist

Yes and it would be a practically free addition - no Avios needed.
If it was added to the reward then there would also be a change fee for each ticket.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rossmacd

Honestly, as much as is portrayed on FT, the CCR is not some exclusive members club - it is a waiting room with a bit of free grub and booze.
Same as all the F lounges I've been in.

Despite that it's a shame the OP can't experience the CCR for the first time to make up his own mind. Another time hopefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.