FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA LHR to JFK - Wife in Economy [while husband is in CW] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1950286-ba-lhr-jfk-wife-economy-while-husband-cw.html)

toomuchlhr Jan 10, 2019 8:51 am

BA LHR to JFK - Wife in Economy [while husband is in CW]

Hi guys!

Wondering what you'd all do in this situation.

I am travelling via a redemption work trip to new york in business class later this month. My wife is looking to come too; unfortunately there isn't any redemption inventory for business or first for her and we'd rather not pay full whack.

If she goes Economy or Economy plus, are there still opportunities to mingle? Could she sit on my footrest thing for a while, perhaps?

Or do you think this would be wildly frowned upon and that people in different classes should not fraternise!

haroon145 Jan 10, 2019 8:54 am

The foot rest in club is not designed as a buddy seat and is not sturdy enough

if you book wtp now you can keep checking if a second seat opens up to upgrade with avios

alternatively you can see if your offered an poug or aup

toomuchlhr Jan 10, 2019 8:58 am

Originally Posted by haroon145 (Post 30636666)
The foot rest in club is not designed as a buddy seat and is not sturdy enough

if you book wtp now you can keep checking if a second seat opens up to upgrade with avios

alternatively you can see if your offered an poug or aup

Thanks Haroon

So its probably worth paying the extra for WTP so that I'd have the opportunity to upgrade if inventory comes up?

bakera Jan 10, 2019 8:59 am

Its normally frowned upon for passengers to migle upwards (the CC would probably not allow someone from WT or WT+ into Club, but it probably OK for you to go and see her.

IntVic Jan 10, 2019 9:09 am

This would not be an issue with me and my wife.... as it would be me sitting in WT or WT+ end of story, no discussion! :eek:

rockflyertalk Jan 10, 2019 9:11 am

You could always sit in WT and her in CW ;)

Forever in Seattle Jan 10, 2019 9:14 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 30636738)
You could always sit in WT and her in CW ;)

Especially is you don't want to go through a voluntary imposed drought!

Lefly Jan 10, 2019 9:17 am

In my home there would be a big discussion, with both of us insisting the other gets the J seat. :D

Returning to OP problem, WT+ and see if anything better comes up (award availability or poug or even aup).
Or in the best FT style, check ex-EU prices :p

golfmad Jan 10, 2019 9:25 am

On the basis that the redemption means that your employer isn't paying for the ticket, do the chivalrous thing and let your wife have the seat in the highest cabin. Major brownie points.

Tiger_lily Jan 10, 2019 9:42 am

If this happened in our house, which it wouldn’t, my husband would not live to see his next birthday.

haroon145 Jan 10, 2019 9:51 am

Originally Posted by toomuchlhr (Post 30636677)
Thanks Haroon

So its probably worth paying the extra for WTP so that I'd have the opportunity to upgrade if inventory comes up?

I would say so... seems like the best option

crew are unlikely to allow your wife into J as there is no buddy seat like in F

Can I help you Jan 10, 2019 9:54 am

It’s not about brownie points it’s about love and respect, I would never let my wife sit in an inferior seat to mine.

Lefly Jan 10, 2019 10:00 am

I'm for equity.

So, why should the wife allow the husband to sit in an inferior seat? :cool: :p

VSLover Jan 10, 2019 10:03 am

as noted above, book WT+ and fingers crossed for upgrade availability!

while the CW isnt suited for a guest on the foot-rest, ive had no second glance the two or three times i've asked if my partner in economy could sit with me for a short bit in F on LHR-SIN flights where it normally happens due to various work circumstances.

NeverFirst Jan 10, 2019 10:05 am

It's a bit of a long-shot but it might be worth getting to the airport nice and early and asking for a downgrade for your ticket at check-in, so you can sit together in WTP, and maybe a kindly check-in agent will upgrade your wife.

Definitely not guaranteed (and I don't even know how much leeway a check-in agent would have, anyway).