Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA LHR to JFK - Wife in Economy [while husband is in CW]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA LHR to JFK - Wife in Economy [while husband is in CW]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If your employer is paying extra for your business class seat, you shouldn't give it away to someone else (regardless of whether it's your wife or not). There's presumably a business purpose and your employer wants you to arrive well rested or to be able to work during the flight.

ADDED: would you take and give to relatives other items that your employer provides to enable you to do your job (better), such as a laptop or computer?
redeyedonkey likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 10, 2019 at 2:45 pm
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It’s not about brownie points it’s about love and respect, I would never let my wife sit in an inferior seat to mine.
I would if my employer paid for my business class seat, but my wife bought an economy seat to join me on a trip. I'd get fired if my employer found out I swapped classes like that.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Your employer is paying for you to sit in CW not your wife.

If it finds out you have swapped you might find all your future trips are in economy.

Or you could even find that your future trips are to the unemployment line.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m not saying swapping seats, I am saying pay for your wife to sit with you.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by aceman
If any employee of mine that I was expecting to add value to the company above and beyond the cost of a CW ticket then put his wife in the seat instead of him I would do him a favour and first terminate him for gross miss conduct, and secondly I would see if the quality of his work was substandard while he was out there, and if it was good, reduce everyone else's travel policy using him as an example.

I dont have a company or employees though to be fair.
The tribunal findings will bankrupt you very quickly if you behaved like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

wotk colleague on the same flight.

OP says something that gets picked up by a client that gets reported back or says something themselves at work.

wife says something at a work do about how marvellous hubby was for letting her sit in CW when she was with hubby on a work trip.
If an employer/colleague or client is more troubled by the seats you and your wife are using on the aircraft to transport between the 2 business locations, than the work or project delivered then the focus is completely wrong and “you” need to change employer (as employer values are wrong in my opinion, as a boss if my employee said I’m going to let my wife sit up front, I’d say great, no prob, just get that meeting or piece of work) and as for the client, I’d say the same plus their focus should be on the value and service you deliver not how you got there.

Maybe I’m a rarity but I believe people should be happy and so if it makes the main pax happy to have their partner happy in their seat then great. Everyone wins. Employer, employee and wife.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
I think the thread should be retitled Wife in Economy, while husband is in CW, and divorce lawyer is in First.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
If an employer/colleague or client is more troubled by the seats you and your wife are using on the aircraft to transport between the 2 business locations, than the work or project delivered then the focus is completely wrong and “you” need to change employer (as employer values are wrong in my opinion, as a boss if my employee said I’m going to let my wife sit up front, I’d say great, no prob, just get that meeting or piece of work) and as for the client, I’d say the same plus their focus should be on the value and service you deliver not how you got there.

Maybe I’m a rarity but I believe people should be happy and so if it makes the main pax happy to have their partner happy in their seat then great. Everyone wins. Employer, employee and wife.
The company has given the employee tools to do their job productively, i.e. a CW ticket so they can arrive ready to work. Effectively, the employee is giving away company resources to non employees without approval of the company. If I was a client, I'd be asking why I was paying for the employee to travel in CW when they were not using it, and I'd want the difference between WT and CW taken off the bill.

By not using the CW seat as a business tool, you're essentially enriching yourself (or your family) at the companies expense. I don't see much difference between this and buying a full flex ticket, expensing it to the company; then getting it refunded, keeping the cash and buying the cheapest WT ticket possible. You got to the destination, why should anyone have a problem with that?
flatlander and redeyedonkey like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Holy bamboly. Simply give her your boarding pass and you sit in Economy.

I don't think I am the best Gentleman/ husband in the world; but I am wondering why we actually need here a discussion 'how employer might find out', what upgrades might work. etc.

I think to give her the pleasure of an J trip should be enough; to mention the footrest as possible option/ discussion point I find personally embarrassing.

Just my opinion though.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by toomuchlhr
Just to add my biggest goal here is for us to sit together, regardless of cabin. I could potentially downgrade but I do have to work when I land. Still, i'd prefer to sit in economy and be with her than alone in business.
I'd book her into a window seat in premium then (they're always pairs). I'm fairly sure her neighbour wouldn't be sad when you came back and offered to switch them into biz. That said no guarantee said neighbour wouldn't be sat with others elsewhere in the cabin (across aisle, scattered) and may refuse the offer.

Otherwise my overall view of the situation you're in is thus: you've already got a booking, you have to go for work, your wife does not have to go along and therefore you're both making a choice for personal reasons; it's ultimately how much you want to spend to achieve that goal. Six hours apart won't kill you and if you effectively save £xxxx as a result of booking an eco seat for one then that's some nice dinners out or something else you can spend quality time over when there for days, isn't it?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:26 pm

Sign of a great wife is when she says "you go fly in First, all I want is to lay down." - CX F, J.

How would the employer find out?
Ethics.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
She will survive a few hours in economy. If her sitting in economy and you sitting in premium class will cause friction for the trip then maybe you should keep it strictly....business
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
Technically would swapping a CW seat paid for by the business now become a taxable benefit for the husband if he swapped with his wife?
His company is paying for a seat where it's no longer a business expense but now a benefit in kind.

HMRC is watching you
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

If the employee can get the job done having travelled in economy then there sounds like a good cost saving opportunity.

If the wife is accompanying the employee for a short break that's great, if she needs a premium cabin then pay for it.....
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On short TATL it's not worth getting too excited about either way. I travel fine in economy and would take that seat and give my partner the CW. Most of the time on the plane we're doing separate things anyway, so being seated in different cabins is not a big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.