Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA LHR to JFK - Wife in Economy [while husband is in CW]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA LHR to JFK - Wife in Economy [while husband is in CW]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:06 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Can I help you

Yes Dear, what is your point?
That's what I asked him. At least when you roll you eyes at me because I want you ro run and fix a G&T , (I use run as a matter of courtesy - the llast time you ran anywhere was when you eyes ran through choppong onions) you have the courtesy to tell me why.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Being a work trip changes things considerably I think. If your employer is paying for CW, you should be sitting in that seat, as presumably they want you fresh on arrival to do work, and/or you'll be needing to do work on the way.

If your wife is tagging along simply for a break ( and probably a low cost holiday, since it usually doesn't cost any more for the hotel), then book whatever class fits with your family finances. Being apart for 6 hours during the flight isn't the end of the world - just treat it as a work day, as I assume your wife isn't with you while you're at work?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Being a work trip changes things considerably I think. If your employer is paying for CW, you should be sitting in that seat, as presumably they want you fresh on arrival to do work, and/or you'll be needing to do work on the way.

If your wife is tagging along simply for a break ( and probably a low cost holiday, since it usually doesn't cost any more for the hotel), then book whatever class fits with your family finances. Being apart for 6 hours during the flight isn't the end of the world - just treat it as a work day, as I assume your wife isn't with you while you're at work?
spot on RE low cost break and freshness.

I think the key is to see if I can make a reasonable adjustment to the flight time to take advantage of reward availability or just stomach the separation for a bit. I guess it just feels odd and I suspect I would feel like a bit of an arse sitting in CW whilst she slums it, is all.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:42 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
If there is redemption availability on a different NY flight but not your flight on the same day, and you cannot change your flight, would it not then make sense to book your wife a CW flight on a different flight - especially if you need to work on arrival.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
This reminds me a bit of a previous thread from a few years ago:

Wife down the back

That thread contains what is still my favourite ever post on FT (the response below from Paralytic)

Originally Posted by snuffi
The FT Gods must be smiling, when I logged on this morning (at 9am!) to my amazement a reward F ticket was showing. Quick call to the gold line and it is bagged. So now even more rows separate us, but as CWS says the CCR may soften the blow. And if I'm nice to the crew she could come and spend a little time up the front. My ex-eu gets better and better and it's still a net positive on the avios front. I'll still look for CW reward availability of course, but so far so good.
Cheers all
S

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Only on FT could the solution for a husband being in CW and the wife being in WT be the upgrading of the husband to F.

^
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
My husband would downgrade and get an inferior ticket to sit with me.

I would not need to ask - he;d do it without any telling or requesting bt=y me.
Mine too. But in the very unlikely* event of cabin difference, I would firmly insist for him to have the better seat. He would insist for me to have it... and in the end I don't know who would win

*none of us would never book a plane with different cabin involved, so we are talking about upgrade/downgrade accidents
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I do not allow any visitors into Club World from the Traveller cabins.
understand, would you be happy with an et visitor into paid for F for champagne and nuts ?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
I pay a fortune for Mrs firstlight to sit in business when I travel in business. She has sat in ce when I have sat in et due to work policies. Once I got an upgrade from wt+ to cw at check in and she didn't it caused a lot of 'no you go in cw', ' no you go. Fortunately resolved by her being upgraded at the gate
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by firstlight
understand, would you be happy with an et visitor into paid for F for champagne and nuts ?
Absolutely, that is something that First customers can request.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Your employer is paying for you to sit in CW not your wife.

If it finds out you have swapped you might find all your future trips are in economy.

Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Your employer is paying for you to sit in CW not your wife.

If it finds out you have swapped you might find all your future trips are in economy.

How would the employer find out?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi

Completely agree with this.. if your wife is tagging along and enjoying presumably the work-paid for perks such as hotel etc. then she should be accepting / happy to be in whatever cabin you can comfortably afford. You should not even consider downgrading yourself or swapping if you have a work policy that puts you in Club for work purposes.... As the wife - id' either be happy to sit in economy and enjoy the trip when I got there.. or not fancy the flight because it's economy - and stay at home!
MSPeconomist and allturnleft like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
If any employee of mine that I was expecting to add value to the company above and beyond the cost of a CW ticket then put his wife in the seat instead of him I would do him a favour and first terminate him for gross miss conduct, and secondly I would see if the quality of his work was substandard while he was out there, and if it was good, reduce everyone else's travel policy using him as an example.

I dont have a company or employees though to be fair.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

wotk colleague on the same flight.

OP says something that gets picked up by a client that gets reported back or says something themselves at work.

wife says something at a work do about how marvellous hubby was for letting her sit in CW when she was with hubby on a work trip.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
One of my previous employers wanted the physical boarding passes submitted before any expenses would be paid. It's possible the husband and wife could just swap boarding passes and seats, but you never know who can be on a flight, or if new boarding cards would be issued for the swapped seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.