Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA LHR to JFK - Wife in Economy [while husband is in CW]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA LHR to JFK - Wife in Economy [while husband is in CW]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:08 am

Husband should take the outbound J, wife takes the inbound J.
Twickenham and Wiz805 like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If one of you has to be more functional the next day (eg, drive a car) they ought to get the better rest.
But it's LHR to JFK which is a fine route to travel in WT+.You could book her into WT+ and hold out for WT+ redemptions to become available for both of you.

Asking (or asking the crew to ask) the person next to her if they'd like to swap their WT+ for a Club seat when boarding might work too. Most single passengers wouldn't hesitate.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Lefly
I'm for equity.

So, why should the wife allow the husband to sit in an inferior seat?
Mine wouldn’t, we would sit together.
Lefly likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:26 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
As I read this I thought - I'd divorce him just for airing this on the internet - never mind even thinking about it. My husband would downgrade and get an inferior ticket to sit with me.

I would not need to ask - he;d do it without any telling or requesting bt=y me.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Jan 10, 2019 at 10:38 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Hahaha - sorry guys just to clear it up my original flight isn't a redemption, its work travel.

Trust me there is no way she would be letting me take the premium seat if it were otherwise
Gig103 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
As I read this I thought - I;d divorce him just for airing this on the internet - never mind even thinking about it.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:36 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Gig103
and your point is what Dear?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by bakera
Its normally frowned upon for passengers to migle upwards (the CC would probably not allow someone from WT or WT+ into Club, but it probably OK for you to go and see her.
The Flight attendants did not do anything on a flight we witnessed, 2 x daughters in WT spent hours sitting with parents in CW.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by IntVic
This would not be an issue with me and my wife.... as it would be me sitting in WT or WT+ end of story, no discussion!
Got worse for me. I was told that I would be sitting in her WT+ avios seat and my wife in my Club/work seat and then the Club seat was upgraded to First at check in (in Denver)!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

and your point is what Dear?
Yes Dear, what is your point?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by toomuchlhr
Hahaha - sorry guys just to clear it up my original flight isn't a redemption, its work travel.

Trust me there is no way she would be letting me take the premium seat if it were otherwise
Your employer values and pays for Business Class travel, for whatever reason. I think allowing your wife to sit in your J seat while you sit in Economy is a bit of a sticky wicket. You can always upgrade an Economy redemption, if seats become available at short notice, as they often do. They might not open redemption availability on your specific flight, however.
chgoeditor and trooper like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:45 am

Have you asked what your wife wants to do? I'd be happy to do this as in a way if one of us scores then we both have as we are a team. Of course it's a shame you can't both get into the same cabin but as long as you're on the same aircraft then at least you'll be together. It's the though of it that's tricky.

Suggest it to her - reverse psychology it a bit as in 'sweetheart, you have a ticket for business class but I can't get one. What should we do?'. Then if she says tough luck chum then you don't have to worry about her feelings when you tell her the truth
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Happend once on a CX MXP-HKG with my fiance. I was on biz in J and she was on a part redemption/part paid Y.

Given she was on holiday while I was actually working, I did not feel bad for sitting in my J seat, but I frequently visited her in Y. The crew did not like when she came (just once in 12 hrs flight) to my seat.

Overall it was not great, the crew could have managed it better. I was a CX Diamond at the time, thus I expected a bit more understanding.

Not sure how different would be on BA.

On a general note, I would gladly swap my seat with my fiance if I was not on a tight schedule once landed so she could enjoy the experience.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not allow any visitors into Club World from the Traveller cabins.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Just to add my biggest goal here is for us to sit together, regardless of cabin. I could potentially downgrade but I do have to work when I land. Still, i'd prefer to sit in economy and be with her than alone in business.

Thanks for all the advice! I think I have a plan B - look at moving the outbound leg to one that has redemption availability for business, if its not cost prohibitive with work's travel provider

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.