Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Yachtman
It might be a generational thing, I’m a millennial, but I rarely drink when flying, if ever.
For balance, im also a millennial and I tend to hoover up all that I am offered onboard 🙄
Paella747 and kingstontoon like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I'll have whatever I feel like on the day.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Yachtman
It might be a generational thing, I’m a millennial, but I rarely drink when flying, if ever.
I think it might be a generalisational thing rather than generational thing.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Short haul:
- Coffee only if it's early in the day
- 2 Small bottles of champagne if it's later during the day and I'm in CE.

Long haul:
- Before the first meal:
-- 1 Champagne
-- 1 Kir Royal
- With the first meal:
-- 1 Glass of white
-- 1 Glass of red
-- 1 Glass of port (with dessert)
(after that I nap / sober up for the rest of the flight)

Lounges:
- If it's early in the day, I'll stick to coffee only.
- If there's a good single malt or JW blue I'll have a couple of servings of that.
- If there's no good whisky I'll just get a couple of glasses of whatever wine or port I fancy at the time, or whatever goes well with the meal.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
I do think there is some snobbery concerning drinking before and during flights. Someone having a good few drinks in J or F is just enjoying the hospitality, but consume the same amount in Y and you’re perceived as some kind of lager lout or security risk.
Silver Fox, narvik and eugegall like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
For people here who drink measurably more when flying than when not flying, may I ask why?
I only fly for leisure so if the drink is freely available and I rarely get hangovers, I will- that’s why.
🥃🍷🍻🍻🍺🍸🍾
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Most of my flights are leisure these days (although myself and a collegue did once drink a full bottle of Aberfeldy in the Virgin Upper Class bar on a daytime flight from LHR to LAX).
If we're in a lounge with decent champers then I'll start with a couple of those, otherwise it would be a Vodka and Orange.
Once on board, more champers for the pre-departure drink, then a G&T once in the air.
If there's a bit of time before meal service then I'll have a second G&T.
White wine with the starters, red with the mains, port with the cheese (in F)
Finished off with a single malt as a digestive, then try and sleep it off for the rest of the flight.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
For me it's a mix of travel type (ie business vs leisure), departure time, and flight duration. Also whether a hire car is involved at the other end is naturally factored in.

So eg a LHR >> HKG or HKG >> LHR, where departure is likely to be fairly late and sector is 11 hours or so I am quite likely to be happy to have a few glasses. Maybe in the lounge, definitely on the flight. Frankly given how hectic my home life is since becoming a dad, if I am travelling for work, even if it's a tough-ish itinerary, I am quite happy and relaxed.

However eg LHR >> JFK, day flight, it'd be zero in the lounge and max 1 with food on the flight, and pre take-off bubbles probably declined. As I often take the morning flight and go straight to the office from the airport.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Depends on the time of day and my plans for the day after. If I'm arriving on a work trip then I'll have a couple of glasses of wine in the lounge and then onboard one or two with dinner, then head down for the night and sleep. If it is holiday or a non-work day, I'll have a little more. If I'm flying CE then will obviously have a bit more, but in ET I'm not going to shell out more than once the 4.60 for a bottle of wine. If I'm travelling with a friend, we may up the quantity a bit, but that's just the same as going out for a night.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:42 am

Most of my travel (95%+) is for work and is mostly longhaul, so I will drink very little at all. I do not believe that my employer would be pleased if I was abusing their spend on J/F travel to get me to my destination in a relaxed, fresh and ready-to-work position by drinking heavily before or during a flight. I recognise others may be different, but if my employer is expecting me to be work-ready on landing, I personally cannot achieve that after more than one or two drinks (maximum). Considering my occupation, alcohol does have a direct impact on my ability to perform. Therefore, I may have a G&T before lunch on a day flight, but on a night flight I typically wont have anything at all - since I want to sleep. My drug of choice on night flights is a 50mg Nytol which gets me to sleep pretty quickly after take-off, particularly on short overnight sectors (e.g. from JFK/PHL to Europe).

For leisure, I will have a few drinks but maybe 4 or 5 maximum, since I don't want to end up blind drunk but enough on a long 12 hour flight to relax. Again, if sleep is on offer, that would be my go-to as opposed to staying awake and drinking.

I did see a gentleman once completely wasted boarding a flight from LHR to JFK in F, then the CC serving him more which I did think was unacceptable, but hey, who am I to judge I do find it a little bit odd that those who say they drink a lot before or during a flight because it is "free" - it is a lack of self-control on their part drinking on someone else's dime, since they would not likely do that on their own dime.

Finally, I observe drinking culture being much heavier on BA that other carriers I use (CX, QR, LX etc). Being British myself, I know it is an unfortunate part of our culture.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Considering my occupation, alcohol does have a direct impact on my ability to perform.....
Without knowing your occupation, this seems a slightly odd thing to say insofar as I can't think of many occupations where this isn't the case actually.

Even professional wine tasters spit it out ;-)
Paella747 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by fruitcage
I do think there is some snobbery concerning drinking before and during flights. Someone having a good few drinks in J or F is just enjoying the hospitality, but consume the same amount in Y and you’re perceived as some kind of lager lout or security risk.
I'm sure with an appropriate vintage champagne a lager lout can be turned around.

I'm sure many here only drink what's offered to prevent waste, there is nothing worse than seeing good booze poured down the sink.

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Without knowing your occupation, this seems a slightly odd thing to say insofar as I can't think of many occupations where this isn't the case actually.

I'm sure Bill Werbeniuk would have disagreed with you in his prime. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Werbeniuk

Last edited by Geo772; Jan 10, 2019 at 2:50 am Reason: Added more
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe

You don't know my occupation, and you are unlikely to guess it But trust me, alcohol impacts my ability to perform, quite considerably.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
You don't know my occupation, and you are unlikely to guess it But trust me, alcohol impacts my ability to perform, quite considerably.
Gigolo?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: Executive club Gold
I can’t get onto a plane unless suitably mellow and I won’t mix medication and alcohol so at least two glasses of wine in the lounge, I’ll try for a little more if short haul as it’s a smaller plane and no pre take off offer.

On the plane, one or two pre dinner drinks (plus pre flight champagne on long haul) then maybe the same again with dinner, I’ll generally have a final glass after dinner. Always wine, never spirits.

our first first was my only inflight hangover, Jesus that was bad. We had an amazing crew who felt we should generously sample the wine list! The drive from Seattle to Whistler was a painful one, thankfully I was not the driver.

I’ll be in the lounge at 5am this weekend necking wine, if you see me please don’t judge, I love flying and traveling but claustrophobic and it’s the only way I can do it! Our longest flight was 13 hours and I did top up around the midway point which is unusual for me but if it works it works ��.

All of our our flights are leisure, so there’s no need to be well behaved beyond social politeness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.