Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I tend to drink very little, if anything, on long haul. I am always conscious that work awaits on my arrival and so my focus is on avoiding jet lag. There are exceptions, if travelling with family I might have a few drinks after takeoff, 3 or 4 but that is usually about it. Being drunk is not something I like, and so avoid consuming too much.

The only time I will enjoy a few drinks in the CCR is while waiting for my connecting flight home to MAN, especially if I bump in to one (or more) of the CCR old timers.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
For a morning flight I’d have maybe 2 or 3 glasses of champagne in the lounge. If travelling zclub Europe bottle or two of champagne and if the flight goes past 10am a G&T. An exception to this was an Edinburgh 8.40am departure where the person in front ordered a G&T so I thought why not.

I tend not have have spirits in the lounge before 11am.

On a lunch shorthaul a G&T before the meal, champagne and G&T with meal, and a couple of G&T s after. If travelling in ET would be a few champagnes and a couple of G&Ts in the loungeans maybe 2 or 3 g&ts from BOB.

Longhaul would be a couple of champagnes in the lounge and one on boarding, a couple of G&Ts before dinner, a glass or 2 of wine with meal, baileys with coffee and a few G&Ts for the rest of the flight.

Never want to have too too much in the lounge to be denied boarding or on board to have issues at immigration...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:22 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Guess Im a heavy drinker...Ill usually do 4 drinks on a 2 hour short haul, 6-8 on a transcon. Long-haul I lose track.

Always doubles to avoid bothering the crew so much.

Will usually do 2-4 in the lounge pre-departure as well.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Zero.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
It might be a generational thing, Im a millennial, but I rarely drink when flying, if ever.
Quark999 and Colnic2011 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:48 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Yachtman
It might be a generational thing, Im a millennial, but I rarely drink when flying, if ever.
Im late 20s and drink buckets.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Explorer/Flying Blue Petroleum Club
None as I am always driving at the other end on both work flights and family vacation flights. On the odd occasion I have had maybe 1 beer but this is rare.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Colnic2011
None as I am always driving at the other end on both work flights and family vacation flights. On the odd occasion I have had maybe 1 beer but this is rare.
I never drive after a long haul flight, even avoiding alcohol altogether and a enjoying a decent sleep I still find I am not rested enough or as alert as I would wish to be for driving.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Explorer/Flying Blue Petroleum Club
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

I never drive after a long haul flight, even avoiding alcohol altogether and a enjoying a decent sleep I still find I am not rested enough or as alert as I would wish to be for driving.
On work flights I usually have a 3 hour drive at the other end, Luckily this is Short haul
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Normally I will have 3 Glasses of Champagne in the Lounge and 2 Beers and occasionally a Gin but really depends on time mainly.

If I'm flying CE I'll normally have 1 champagne and 1 beer plus lots of water and tea.

On Long Haul I'm very conscious that waking up with a hangover isn't fun but sometimes I can have 7/8 alcoholic drinks on an 8-10 hour flight!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
Have managed 4 of the 187ml bottles of champagne a few times last year on LBA-LHR which I thought was a decent achievement. My usual is probably more like 2.
And I thought I was being efficient going through a full sized bottle from CDG to CPH on AF. I supposed they still served in the holding patterns over LHR?
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by noFODplease
My usual routine for leisure flights in F/J:

In the lounge:
Three glasses of champagne before lunch
Two glasses of wine with lunch
A cocktail before coffee and dessert

On board:
Two glasses of boarding champagne
A gin and tonic after take off
3 glasses of wine with lunch/dinner
A glass of dessert wine
A digestif

Then an ibuprofen and as much water as they will give me!
We must be brothers, though I would likely add "take a long nap" after the digestif.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Today two short hauls. A double on first flight. 2 doubles on the second flight. Then a two hour drive just now.
Last time I was LGW to MCO, two glasses of wine in lounge. Two more on board and then slept the rest of the way home.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Oh dear. I fear that an historically accurate answer would out me as a total dero, so I shall merely say that my last longhaul - to the east coast - involved two glasses of wine in GF, a pdb of champagne, two gin and tonics before lunch , three glasses of wine with it, and a champagne before landing. This I thought was very sensible and moderate and at no point did I feel drunk, let alone hungover. I did once manage to get to JNB in F fueled by nothing but fizzy water and Night Nurse but that was the sole exception.

Now, I think I need a bloody mary before I go to the gym.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:49 pm

Typical short haul
3 pints before flight
1 G&T miniature on board

Typical long haul with lounge access
before boarding
4 G&T miniatures
4 330ml cans of Heineken
on board
3 G&T miniatures
and then sleep

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.