Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
No-one has mentioned lots and lots of tomato juice with lots of Worcester sauce. No ice. A tiny bit of lemon.

Otherwise, in reply to the OP - lots. Helps me sleep. Then lots of water for the body.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
No-one has mentioned lots and lots of tomato juice with lots of Worcester sauce. No ice. A tiny bit of lemon.

Otherwise, in reply to the OP - lots. Helps me sleep. Then lots of water for the body.
i do love tomato juice but limit it to one or two: the amount of salt that it involves is actually terrifying
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I don’t drink on morning flights, except if they offer champagne as a PDB. Tea & water, preferably sparkling with lemon but no ice. I drink industrial quantities of tea at home and wish more airlines would serve quality brands and have a wider selection of teas.

For flights at other times of the day I’ll have some wine or bubbles in the lounge (if I have access), always champagne for PDB if available. A few glasses of champagne and wine with the meal. Normally I’ll try several wines, including dessert wines. I will consume more on daytime flights than overnights. I almost never drink spirits in the air, but I’ve had the odd cognac or GT. Can highly recommend Harahorn with Fevertree. Available at OSL.

On short haul, 4 minis of bubbles for a two hour flight.
Fo
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Mrs Clam & myself 'benefit' from working either day/ night shifts or just a random mix of hours all over the place which over the years has allowed both our bodies, well mine for sure, to adjust well and accept our 'day' starting at 03:00 or 15:00( or anywhere in between)then going for 10-16 hours without too much complaint meaning flight procedures remain pretty much the same irrelevant of flight time ( my last two flights i've literally finished work in the early ( 03-05:00) hours, gone home, grabbed case, showered and changed in the lounge.

SOP: Lounge 1x Bloody Mary / 'Breakfast Drink' as we like to call it
2x Cognac's OR JD & Cokes ( me) /// 2 glasses of bubbles ( her)
1x Gin & Tonic

Boarding: 1x bubbles both
then a mix of G&T, Bloody Marys if flagging, JD, Johnny and as much Castelnau as can be found for the good lady.

Typically we'll have +2 drinks on top of normal CE service( for my shame I dont want to think about we drink on LH but we did once drink a VS 747 dry of Gin flying to Cuba with the crew raiding economy but that was with their blessing and a story for another time) for us but we tend to get up and go to the galley to save the CC having to bring them out to us or request them 'as and when' during duty free. We will not get drunk on a flight though ( typsy is okay) and monitor each other and will cut ourselves off if we think we've had enough as we'd never want to put CC in the awkward position of having to do so. We can handle our drink, we like to enjoy ourselves but we dont want to be a problem for the crew or an annoyance to others flying.

Personally I dont think the amount consumed matters, it's a person's ability to enjoy themselves but do it responsibly. Flying is an adventure you should be able to cut loose so long as you dont become a problem for others around you.
choosethedrew and mradey like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Typically one glass of wine with meal service on LH; no alcohol on SH or in the lounge.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, Vistara Platinum
Got off BA198 from BOM earlier today, in F
3 glasses each of LPGS and a Bordeaux with my meal, 2 JWB will catching up on some reading later (No PDB today, very unusual)
Stepped off to a crisp evening and no work tomorrow

This flight was on the higher side of consumption for me
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:38 am

I tend to drink more when in F compared to J. I think this is mainly down to the quality on offer.

i realize that some may scoff about the quality of wines on offer in F , however my personal view is that it is better than those in J, and that I will try to maximize the benefit.

I am am fortunate that most of my travel is personal so that I do not have to rush into work after flights.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
lounge - 1 glass of champagne

short haul - maybe 1 or 2 G&T or champagne

Long haul - 2-3 drinks total.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
A glass of champagne in the lounge , esp if it's the CCR.

Short haul - a glass of champagne

Lond haul - a glass of champagne when boarding the flight. Then, an hour after the take off/first drink order, I ask for a bloody mary on the rocks. I usually carry packets of salt and pepper in my briefcase and slices of lemon I picked up in the airport, so I modify the drink myself.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
ATH-LHR last night I managed:
4 Lounge beers
3-4 Champagnes
Both the Tributes.
A Heineken
A Bailys
Oh and 2 G and Ts
The wife did better...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: BA GFL
Slightly tangential to the main thread but i saw a chap in the T3 BA First lounge a few weeks ago go to the drinks area and pick up a glass full of ice and a bottle of whisky, take them back to his seat and get stuck into it on his own....I thought that was pretty hardcore for a Tuesday afternoon.....
DeathSlam and frandrake like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by BigVince76
ATH-LHR last night I managed:
4 Lounge beers
3-4 Champagnes
Both the Tributes.
A Heineken
A Bailys
Oh and 2 G and Ts
The wife did better...
I resemble that remark!

The wife (also no lady)

​​
AlisonB84 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
If on business then nothing on the way out but often a reasonable slug on the way back if I am not driving.

If on pleasure it is quite simple - ALL of it!!! Keep pushing that call bell. The more you do it the larger the measures get as it's easier if they have to leave the galley less often. I was once left with the bottle on a flight to Bermuda - which was nice Not always just me helping out but have made both Virgin and BA run out of Champagne on a few trips before.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I'm based in GLA, current travel patterns breaking into 3 categories: SH (mainly LON and some Europe/Scandi/Nordics); almost-LH mainly to NYC; LH to California and Asia.

SH is every 2-3 weeks. Usually nothing on the outbound (it's normally 6am). Inbound, a beer or two at the airport (and don't get me started on the price of a pint at LCY), then 2 G&Ts onboard (and if it's BoB I pay using Avios - I know, it's a shocking waste).

Almost-LH is roughly every quarter. Outbound is usually nothing at GLA as I aim to get there just in time for boarding. Then a few beers in the lounge at LHR, depending on the wait (would've been fizz in the Flounge back when I was a GCH). On board I'll have the fizz before take-off, a G&T before dinner, then 3-4 white wines, which leaves me ready for a nap; and maybe another G&T before landing.

LH is around twice a year, once to California, once to Asia. Again, usually nothing at GLA; a few beers in the lounge at LHR; fizz on boarding; G&T before food; then maybe 4-6 white wines which renders me ready to sleep for 6 hours or so. On the return, usually a similar pattern - beer in the lounge, G&T followed by enough wine to get me to sleep, and maybe another G&T before arrival.

I have a GLA-LHR-SFO trip coming up next week, and I'm very much looking forward to reading a couple of books on my kindle while being offered food and drink for 11 hours
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I might have a beer a couple of times a year on AA flights and generally soft drinks only on BA flights.
Tend to have a couple of drinks in a lounge though.
Champagne seems to leave me bloated and with a headache so I don't have too much of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.