Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No more complimentary exit row seating for BA Silver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G

Good day everyone,

I just came off the phone with BA to get seats assigned for my upcoming short haul sectors on BA from Germany to Heathrow and back (they are part of a BE booking made through American, but bear BA flight numbers).
As the CSR was having issues pulling up the seat map they tried to speak to a supervisor and gave me a call back roughly half an hour later saying "that for Silver members traveling in World Traveler and World Traveler+ ALL exit row seat assignment is chargeable. All other seat assignment is free".
Of course, I quickly navigated to the Silver Member Benefits website and it (still) clearly states that all seat assignment is free of charge (excluding exit row seating on long-haul flights). I quoted that back to her and she dismissed said information as incorrect and "not up-to-date", according to her "supervisor".

Now, I am fairly certain that she and her supervisor were and are incorrect, especially since I've been allotted exit row seats on my previous short-haul sectors with the last being on January 1st - in a World Traveler booking.
But before I spend more pain and time on calling again, escalating, or trying to call the UK line, is there any piece of information out there that I missed?

Cheers!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I had the same experience recently when trying to assign seats on LHR - NCL flights. At the time I was Gold and the boss was Silver, and I couldn't assign her an exit row seat. I believe others have reported the same issue. Of course it's frustrating that the BA web site is out of date but that's another issue altogether.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I had the same experience recently when trying to assign seats on LHR - NCL flights. At the time I was Gold and the boss was Silver, and I couldn't assign her an exit row seat. I believe others have reported the same issue. Of course it's frustrating that the BA web site is out of date but that's another issue altogether.

you say out of date--but is this in fact a lost benefit? asking too because my partner is a silver and always get him exit seats if in economy.

further, i presume it does not matter on bookings for us both on the same itinerary with my ggl account?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by cvision
Good day everyone,

I just came off the phone with BA to get seats assigned for my upcoming short haul sectors on BA from Germany to Heathrow and back (they are part of a BE booking made through American, but bear BA flight numbers).
As the CSR was having issues pulling up the seat map they tried to speak to a supervisor and gave me a call back roughly half an hour later saying "that for Silver members traveling in World Traveler and World Traveler+ ALL exit row seat assignment is chargeable. All other seat assignment is free".
Of course, I quickly navigated to the Silver Member Benefits website and it (still) clearly states that all seat assignment is free of charge (excluding exit row seating on long-haul flights). I quoted that back to her and she dismissed said information as incorrect and "not up-to-date", according to her "supervisor".

Now, I am fairly certain that she and her supervisor were and are incorrect, especially since I've been allotted exit row seats on my previous short-haul sectors with the last being on January 1st - in a World Traveler booking.
But before I spend more pain and time on calling again, escalating, or trying to call the UK line, is there any piece of information out there that I missed?

Cheers!
As far as im aware no change in this so silver should still be able to get exit rows for free on shorthaul.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
2 separate short haul bookings last week I'm gold mrs firsflight is silver, exit row selected by both of us, no issues...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Just checked for my trip to Canada in May (BRU - LHR - YVR) and I'm able to select exit seats for the flight BRU - LHR (already selected on, but could change). Same for the way back (YYC - LHR - BRU). No exit seats on both LH flights as I'm in WTP

For LH, the BA site is quite clear: " Exit row seats are not available to Silver or Bronze Members on long haul flights until 24 hours before departure. "
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cvision
(Extra bolding an underlining mine)

Short haul in Europe is called Euro Traveller so the contact agent and supervisor are incorrect. Just made a dummy booking using Mrs Steve ZA's account (Silver) to confirm that exit rows are still free for ET.
Anonba likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I tried to look into this myself offline. It clearly remains the case that longhaul exit row seating is chargeable for Sapphires (though not at OLCI, which it could be for non status). For shorthaul there have been a number of cases where exit rows have been out of bounds for some reason. For those on HBO tickets there may be a glitch there for Sapphires, and there is also some sort of calculated, non fixrd blocking for Golds in Amadeus Seating before T-72; also there is Theoretical Seating which kicks in from T72 onwards. I had an example of that today when on LGW-GLA, three Sapphires cheek by jowl in 10 A, B and C, and Emerald me blocking off D and E in regal splendour over in 10F. So while the policy hasn't changed I suspect there will be cases where effectively exit rows are blocked for Golds. However this may not fully explain the OP's position - and it's not entirely clear whether:
1) Exit rows were available but chargeable
2) the right PNR was used because from it sounds like this was a complex SABRE booking.

I don't have all the answers here yet, I should reiterate.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Given the number of golds and the limited number of exit row seats this would be a desirable enhancement in my book. Give me a better shot at them during my annual flight in Y to remind me why I don’t fly Y.
Crampedin13A and stewaran like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
My partner became silver this morning & exit rows on existing ET (short haul) bookings (3 sectors) became available / bookable for free.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by alpenlupe
My partner became silver this morning & exit rows on existing ET (short haul) bookings (3 sectors) became available / bookable for free.
Same experience for me when I regained Silver a few days ago.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Booked an hbo o class fare yesterday to Ams for the 22nd and selected exir rows both way.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
The Twitter team told me they would get the website upgraded as front row is not available to Silver but the web says it is. Not yet fixed and now being mistreated from the exit row end.

it really isn't a tough job to fix, is it appalling governance that is impeding the correction or are these things filed in the bin...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold + BA Silver
I just changed my seats to exit rows for my Easter weekend trip and it was fine and completely free.

oh i am also Silver.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Exit row seating for Sapphire members is detailed on the BA website at https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ving-your-seat

Silver/oneworld Sapphire Free seat selection from the time of booking for everyone in your booking*.

The * refers to footnote

Exit row seats are not available to Silver or Bronze Members on long haul flights until 24 hours before departure.
Exit row seats are available to Blue Members as a paid seat selection.
On some occasions, exit rows seats on short haul flights may not be available in advance due to operational reasons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.