Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade and one way/return ticket issue?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Question Upgrade and one way/return ticket issue?

OK, still a newbie here so sorry if this is obvious! We’re planning to fly into Chicago from London [BA] and return from Miami [BA] after a 3 week road trip. We plan to go WT+ and upgrade with BAEC points to Club on at least one of the legs. My query is:

The one way ticket prices are horrendous so I assume that we should buy returns and just DNA for the Chicago return. For Miami, that will not work as I guess the return ticket will be invalidated as we will have not taken the outbound flight…..any obvious solutions here?

Thanks for your time folks!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Just book an open jaw - lhr-ord // Mia-lhr. Obviously your upgrades hope depend on award space availability, which may or may not be easy to find depending on your dates (often a bit easier on ord vs Mia)
Cymro, Teamscoop and Anonba like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
In case you weren't aware, an open jaw referred to above is the term for two one-way legs in opposite directions on the same ticket (i.e., fly A-B then C-A). A double open-jaw is when you fly A-B then C-D but A and D, and B and C are all in roughly the same direction (e.g., DUB-ORD MIA-LHR).

Open jaws are usually priced as roughly half the return fare each way.
Teamscoop likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
In case you weren't aware, an open jaw referred to above is the term for two one-way legs in opposite directions on the same ticket (i.e., fly A-B then C-A). A double open-jaw is when you fly A-B then C-D but A and D, and B and C are all in roughly the same direction (e.g., DUB-ORD MIA-LHR).

Open jaws are usually priced as roughly half the return fare each way.
Thanks, that's helpful. I'll find the BA page for that and see how it works out. I guess I pay cash for the tickets and afterwards return and upgrade to Club as, when and if seats become available?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:23 am

Yes. I don't think the "cash + upgrade" search works for open-jaw bookings anyway, but the prices are usually higher there so best avoided

you'll most likely have to call to upgrade. You just need normal award availability, BA doesn't have anything seperate for upgrades. Check out BA redemption finder, you can set up free alerts there
Teamscoop likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.