Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on UK to New Zealand Flat Bed Flights

Thoughts on UK to New Zealand Flat Bed Flights

Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Brighterside
WHich airport did you fly into jerub - just asking as NZ only has North or South Island
​​​​​​​A local bit of kiwi humour, referring to Australia as the West Island
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Given the OPs bolding of flat bed (a must), and assuming no absolute compulsion to fly OneWorld, I'd suggest Air New Zealand be considered too.

Their flat bed is, IME, seriously comfortable.
Jagboi likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:21 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Given the OPs bolding of flat bed (a must), and assuming no absolute compulsion to fly OneWorld, I'd suggest Air New Zealand be considered too.

As a bed going to LAX, I found it comfortable but as a lounger to sit in I found it the most uncomfortable airline seat I have been in on a long haul flight over the last 12 years. Catering was superb and service was great too, but I will not take the route again because of the seating.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Some great thoughts here, thanks, keep them coming!!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm looking at this for next December. Assuming no loyalty to OW, the best price I've found is with Singapore Airlines from OSL (i'm trying to get to CHC not AKL)

OSL to LHR
LHR to SIN
SIN to CHC

Last time I checked it was around Ł2200. Hoping they have a sale and it comes down a tad, I'll be an instant buyer at around Ł2000.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Not that transiting the US is fun, but don't forget that AA flies LAX-AKL so a one stop route is available that way on oneworld.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
One issue to take into account is that when arriving into Sydney you need to collect luggage, pass through Australian immigration and then recheck onto the flight to NZ using Qantas or Air New Zealand (these are three/four hour flights on narrow bady planes and definately do not have business/flat bed seating).
It's not true that these flights are all narrow body planes without flat bed seating. Two QF flights SYD-AKL every day are with A330s which have the latest QF long haul business class product (fully lie flat), the majority of NZ SYD-AKL flights are flown by 777s or 787s, all of which have the NZ long haul business class product, which is a refinement of the VS Upper Class seat. Yes the remaining QF flights are with 737s, which have recliners in business with a seat pitch akin to premium economy, but it is a 3 hour flight. The other NZ flights have no business class

You might not want to go through the effort of clearing immigration and checking back in, and I would definitely allow for three hours minimum to do this, but with multiple daily flights SYD-AKL with both QF and NZ (and the daily LAN flight), it is not ridiculous to do this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Agreed, I found the NZ bed much more comfortable than BA's. No problems at all as a seat either.

Last time I flew AKL-YVR I had lamb for dinner and it was the best lamb I have ever had either in the air or on the ground. It was very well prepared.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Richardc77
Just had a look at BA to Singapore, Hong Kong, KL etc, i’m sure First Class will be easy enough from LHR however the air fares to NZ from SEAsia seem to be the same as just flying from LHR to NZ via wherever, so would lose out by way of spending the Avios/Voucher/Taxes ��
It's always that way. Assuming a HKG transit, you need to fly CX the whole way. The LHR-HKG leg is almost free.

If you really want to fly BA you will have to take them all the way to SYD.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
One issue to take into account is that when arriving into Sydney you need to collect luggage, pass through Australian immigration and then recheck onto the flight to NZ using Qantas or Air New Zealand (these are three/four hour flights on narrow body planes and definitely do not have business/flat bed seating). I did this in 2017 and it is a tiring trip, especially the wait in Sydney.
Some QF & NZ flights are on wide body. QF use A330 & NZ B777 on some flights.
Anyway the BA flight lands very early am, so the flight to NZ is a day flight.

If AKL is not the final NZ destination, transferring at SYD before going direct to a better NZ city is viable option.

Originally Posted by jackcarr
I'm looking at this for next December. Assuming no loyalty to OW, the best price I've found is with Singapore Airlines from OSL (I'm trying to get to CHC not AKL)
OSL to LHR
LHR to SIN
SIN to CHC

Last time I checked it was around Ł2200. Hoping they have a sale and it comes down a tad, I'll be an instant buyer at around Ł2000.
CX also flys into CHC seasonally.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 9, 2019 at 12:43 pm Reason: Added CX CHC
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Every year I took advantage of Air China's Black Friday or Easter sales to go to Auckland with them. The price is somewhere around €1500 from FRA or MUC to AKL via PEK.

If you took the route from FRA, you will experience B748, B77W and B789 with its flatbed. Not many airline fly B748 so that is a plus. Their business class is 2-2-2. So good for couple travelling.

The food is meh and the IFE is meh. But there are some interesting films you may like to try.

The transit in PEK is long on the outbound something like 12-13 hours, but they gives you a five star hotel (Crowne Plaza) if travelling in Business or above. Transit in Beijing is stressful but you arrive in AKL afresh due to the long lay out in Beijing. The arrival time is around 17:30 in AKL so off to dinner and sleep for a fresh morning.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Emirates is an option to consider, either one stop to AKL or 2 stops to CHC via SYD. Possible to depart from a number of UK airports and have an A380 on all flights if you choose carefully. You won't have to see your luggage at any point between the UK and NZ. Sadly rarely the bargan it once was.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I make 2 visits a year to South Island and have done so since childhood. The problem with the Air New Zealand proposition is that it goes via LAX and it's the most tedious, zonk inducing flight to do, as anything going against the International Dateline tends to do. If in a flat bed I'm expecting to be on at least 90% liveliness on day 1 rather than a wreck for 3 days. You can partly improve that by taking a day or two off in LAX/California so I won't rule it out forever, but I'm not overly impressed with it as seat, it is difficult to get it in a good position for reading or the IFE.

By far the least painful way to do it is to go via HKG and take one night in HKG between sectors. Properly handled (ie. not alcohol sated) you can be up and running in NZ without much strain from day 1. So that's BA or Cathay to HKG, Cathay from there. HKG and direct entry to NZ is also much more congenial than SIN then SYD/MEL.
Stez likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
C-W-S: Have you gone via YVR and connecting to NZ in YVR? Granted I was starting in YYC so have a 7 hour time advantage over a UK traveller, but when I did YVR-AKL I found I had zero jetlag. We arrived into AKL in the morning and we dropped right into the local time zone and had a full productive day on our first day in AKL.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think I have ever done Canada to New Zealand. I must try it. That seven hours may be quite critical since that is one night's sleeping quota.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.