Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on UK to New Zealand Flat Bed Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on UK to New Zealand Flat Bed Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Thoughts/Advice on UK to New Zealand Flat Bed Flights

Two of us are planning to go to NZ next year in Feb or March and am looking for thoughts on the best value way to get there and back, most or all of the way on a flat bed (a must).

I have a couple of companion vouchers, plenty of Avios, but realise that getting two reward tickets in First or Club to Sydney are next to impossible, so am trying to work out all our options.

I know nothing about the likely impact of BA sales, Ex UK flights etc etc as I am a simple man, so have either paid full fare or use companion vouchers/Avios in the past. However I did have a quick glance at flights via Sydney in Club Class on BA and it was rather a lot of money!!

Would be happy to go via an SEAsian city for a stop over.

Any advice gratefully received

Last edited by Richardc77; Jan 9, 2019 at 4:45 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Richardc77
I have a couple of companion vouchers, plenty of Avios, but realise that getting two reward tickets in First or Club to Sydney are next to impossible, so am trying to work out all our options.
Its not next to impossible at all if planning a year out, as you are.

If you’re logged onto BAEC at 00:00 355 days before your travel, you should be able to secure 2 seats in CW. You then call in to add your inbound seats when they come available again 355 days before.

First is more difficult as there is no guaranteed release there.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, I have done a few dummy runs recently of this and found nothing, but I'm happy to hear that it may be doable (we have maximum flexibility on travel dates).

Just incase it's not though, any other suggestions?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
If I was flying to NZ I'm not sure I'd want to add an extra stop in SYD just so I could fly with BA. There are options with Cathay, Qatar and Malaysian who are all OneWorld and all would allow you to do the journey in 1 stop.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I got MAN-AKL on QR for £1,300 last year - flat all the way and most comfortable. Although unusual there's always a chance of another flash (error?) sale

Below example currently £2,200

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...5*2.GBP.227065

I wouldn't use BA for this route
narvik and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
As others say it is indeed possible to get CW seats on BA to Sydney by planning and grabbing the two seats at T-355 days. Using BA rather than other Oneworld carriers allows use of the 2-4-1 AMEX voucher.
One issue to take into account is that when arriving into Sydney you need to collect luggage, pass through Australian immigration and then recheck onto the flight to NZ using Qantas or Air New Zealand (these are three/four hour flights on narrow bady planes and definately do not have business/flat bed seating). I did this in 2017 and it is a tiring trip, especially the wait in Sydney.
Coming back we managed to only use BA from Singapore to London (A380) and paid for Singapore Airlines between Auckland and Singapore that was perfect.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
(these are three/four hour flights on narrow bady planes and definately do not have business/flat bed seating). I did this in 2017 and it is a tiring trip, especially the wait in Sydney. Coming back we managed to only use BA from Singapore to London (A380) and paid for Singapore Airlines between Auckland and Singapore that was perfect.
You can get a cheap Reward flight on LATAM 787 and enjoy a three hour flat bed over to AKL from SYD
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
You can get a cheap Reward flight on LATAM 787 and enjoy a three hour flat bed over to AKL from SYD
Yup. We took this flight a year ago and whilst not amazing it was perfectly acceptable.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horatio
Yup. We took this flight a year ago and whilst not amazing it was perfectly acceptable.
I did this in Sept AKL-SYD. Even got an hour's sleep
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Did this via HK in 2017 (coming back via SYD although I booked AKL-SYD separately in Y on Emirates) )on Cathay. It was <2000pp, found using google flights alerts about 6 months out.

One option would be to use the 2-4-1 to KL/SIN or other SEAsian and benefit from a stopover - it’s a long long haul. I think if it’s the BA reward flight to SYD you can’t atop en route (but that may be incorrect!).

From Asia there are lots of options on the NZL routes (and you also have other options like Wellington and Christchurch.).
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Qatar from Oslo is usually the best value, sometimes Stockholm.

If the timings work better, you can sometimes fly to Sydney for one leg (certainly to/from Wellington, as I've done that on the way home). Timings actually look pretty good all the way to AKL - basically go to OSL late the night before, sleep late, get the late afternoon flight to DOH and then stay awake until around 5 a.m. EU time before (trying to sleep) for 10 hours or so.

This March, it's £2.5k + 600TP although Air China will do it for £1700.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by Cymro
Qatar from Oslo is usually the best value, sometimes Stockholm.

If the timings work better, you can sometimes fly to Sydney for one leg (certainly to/from Wellington, as I've done that on the way home). Timings actually look pretty good all the way to AKL - basically go to OSL late the night before, sleep late, get the late afternoon flight to DOH and then stay awake until around 5 a.m. EU time before (trying to sleep) for 10 hours or so.

This March, it's £2.5k + 600TP although Air China will do it for £1700.
Out of CPH the price is around GBP 2.000, and even lower if you use the discount code MECENAT. Ends up at around GBP 1.930-1.950 from CPH to AKL.
masmadrid and Cymro like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
My last time I went to NZ's West Island, I stopped in Singapore and stayed a night in the Crowne Plaza in Singapore airport.

It was 30k IHG points (so 60k for there and back, or GBP 150ish a night), and I found it well worth it. Very tidy hotel that's about as far away as T5C-T5A from arrivals and accessible via an airtrain, you get to arrive, crash for the night, spend the next day sightseeing, grab your bags and check-in.

Adds 24 hours to your travel time, but so much better than going all the way to the antipodes at once, even in J.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Just had a look at BA to Singapore, Hong Kong, KL etc, i’m sure First Class will be easy enough from LHR however the air fares to NZ from SEAsia seem to be the same as just flying from LHR to NZ via wherever, so would lose out by way of spending the Avios/Voucher/Taxes ��
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by jerub
My last time I went to NZ's West Island, I stopped in Singapore and stayed a night in the Crowne Plaza in Singapore airport.

It was 30k IHG points (so 60k for there and back, or GBP 150ish a night), and I found it well worth it. Very tidy hotel that's about as far away as T5C-T5A from arrivals and accessible via an airtrain, you get to arrive, crash for the night, spend the next day sightseeing, grab your bags and check-in.

Adds 24 hours to your travel time, but so much better than going all the way to the antipodes at once, even in J.
WHich airport did you fly into jerub - just asking as NZ only has North or South Island

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.