Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What do you do with your (unused) amenity kits .

What do you do with your (unused) amenity kits .

Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 510k miles, DL 600,000 lifetime
Some sit around in the travel drawer. You know the drawer with voltage converters, passports, weird money from here or there. One sits in the guest room.

I am still ticked I forgot the United Commemorative last 747 tin box one on the airplane.

The strangest ones were from IcelandAir. Plastic stacking hexagon boxes with items from the Blue Lagoon in them. The lip balm was great for the trip, the boxes came back and now hold screws and things on the workbench. None so far have slippers that fit an American size twelve. I'll have the significant other root out some of the older ones and give them to the mission store. t
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta, BA, SW
Interesting question. I wonder if it differs by gender. My husband always gives his to me. Bags: camera gear, first aid kit, cables, plugs, etc. Love 'em. Ear plugs, hand cream, toothpaste-use 'em. Socks, tooth brushes, anything with perfume go to shelters as do extra bags. I have the same problem with the makeup give-aways at dept. stores. Use some stuff, not all. Lots of bags left. Grandkids like 'em. Good for marbles, jacks, legos. But it is possible to have too many and I'm there with a bunch of empties.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I dont generate anywhere near as many as most here and even I'm a little tired of them, 50% of the time they get left on board. The white company ones I've tactically had out when people came round, and given to them when they've asked about them.

Earlier this year a friends wife very sweetly asked me for a Liberty F one when I was coming back from LAS (one of the very few f class flights I've taken), I was a bit sloshed, and totally forgot to bring it with me along with my phone cables. Was a little embarrassing when I spoke to them next and she excitedly asked me if I'd brought it, especially since in the same call they asked me to be the godfather to their new daughter.... If anyone has a liberty one knocking around, you could get me out of some warm(ish) water!

I once gave the Pjs to a friend, who called me a few days later asking why I hated her, she said they were the itchiest most uncomfortable things she'd ever worn in her life, since then I left them behind!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Great thread, like some other posters here, I have most of them from the last 20 years. I like the idea of donating them. We are going on safari next summer, so I think we'll start chocking them up with other useful items and plan on distributing the lot of them. Can bring home stuff in the two empty suitcases...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to give them to friends and family who don't travel much after taking out the toothpaste, which I do use, but now that I'm living in Vietnam I give them unopened to people here. The woman who cleans my apartment really appreciates them -- I think she sells them, but maybe she likes the fancy skin creams herself. I've kept two PJ sets, but have left the rest on the plane.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Leaving them as gifts for hotel staff sounds a bit patronising to me.
Originally Posted by mario
Couldn't agree more. It states: "here you go poor person, I know you can't afford my lifestyle but here's a taste of it."
Sort of like giving out turkeys at Thanksgiving (for American FTers)? Or giving away used clothes that one no longer wears? Quite possibly the recipient is less insulted than pleased that someone thought of them and gave them something that they could not otherwise afford.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Economy and WT+ (muffled laughter) - although AY has them... only the Change-for-good envelope (fill it with those pesky $1 bills...)
Old business bags - great for shoes, laptop power cables, etc; new business 'pouch' - useful for smaller cables. Use the 'liquids' at work.
First (very, very limited experience) - bigger 'pouches' - for a grab bag with MP3 player, phone, passport, eye-shade, etc
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
- unopened, to friends & non-travelling family members (small girls seem to like them a lot)
- left on board or used as shoe bag, in case of the BA former CW version
- used to carry cables / chargers etc
- ‘quality’ ones often stuffed in cupboard at home for future use (??) - although many went in a car boot sale clearout a while back

EDIT : Must say I’m glad to have kept hold of a few (FC examples) which now have an almost collector’s item feel about them, eg Pan Am, British Caledonian

Last edited by subject2load; Jan 9, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:08 pm

The old CW bags make good shoe bags for trips
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Sort of like giving out turkeys at Thanksgiving (for American FTers)? Or giving away used clothes that one no longer wears? Quite possibly the recipient is less insulted than pleased that someone thought of them and gave them something that they could not otherwise afford.
I can see the benefit of giving the kits to hospitals, but if hotel staff depend on a single use tooth brush you probably should leave a lot more than an amenity kit. Or possibly stay at hotels that treat (and pay) their staff fairly.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I can see the benefit of giving the kits to hospitals, but if hotel staff depend on a single use tooth brush you probably should leave a lot more than an amenity kit. Or possibly stay at hotels that treat (and pay) their staff fairly.
Depend on a single use toothbrush? No. But there's a big gap between depending on a single use toothbrush and wanting to try some high end toiletries (Khiel's brand comes to mind) that they would never spend the money on.

Same with paying fairly. Paying staff fairly doesn't necessarily mean that staff needs to be paid sufficiently to afford luxury toiletries which some might say are priced absurdly high. Again, there's a huge space in there between the extremes.

Want a real life example? QR is currently serving a Krug Clos du Mesnil champagne which retails for $700/bottle. I'm not going to pay that for a bottle of wine, just too much for me. OTOH, I'm happy and grateful for the opportunity to try a couple of glasses free.
subject2load likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
We are both pack rats unfortunately
usually keep the lip balm and throw the rest away keeping the bags for all sorts of things. We have drawers and drawers full for things like shoe bags when we travel and the likes
Did a major house renovation last year and had to empty the upstairs. We found 282 pairs of PJ’s in one of the closets ...... from all our F trips over the last 12 years.....we laughed and laughed and threw all but about 20 pairs away to keep for guests who stay over and to use for painting and as throw away Jammies for travel.......
The Old CW bags were the best. Great for shoes and organizing meds and whatnot for travel
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by aceman
I dont generate anywhere near as many as most here and even I'm a little tired of them, 50% of the time they get left on board. The white company ones I've tactically had out when people came round, and given to them when they've asked about them.

Earlier this year a friends wife very sweetly asked me for a Liberty F one when I was coming back from LAS (one of the very few f class flights I've taken), I was a bit sloshed, and totally forgot to bring it with me along with my phone cables. Was a little embarrassing when I spoke to them next and she excitedly asked me if I'd brought it, especially since in the same call they asked me to be the godfather to their new daughter.... If anyone has a liberty one knocking around, you could get me out of some warm(ish) water!

I once gave the Pjs to a friend, who called me a few days later asking why I hated her, she said they were the itchiest most uncomfortable things she'd ever worn in her life, since then I left them behind!
i have 4 sealed 1st liberty ones- 2 black male and then. 2 female each in a different designs. Drop me a pm with your address and I will post them
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Want a real life example? QR is currently serving a Krug Clos du Mesnil champagne which retails for $700/bottle. I'm not going to pay that for a bottle of wine, just too much for me. OTOH, I'm happy and grateful for the opportunity to try a couple of glasses free.
And that Krug comes in an amenity kit?

I hate to break it to you, but in all likelihood those amenity kits you leave in the hotel will just end up in a land fill.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:41 pm

What I don't keep, I give away to family and friends. they find them useful for putting items in for travelling

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.