Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What do you do with your (unused) amenity kits .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do with your (unused) amenity kits .

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:21 pm

All in a hold-all in the spare room with a load of other rubble I hoard like headphones and menus etc

might ebay them as a job lot
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
I have a museum quality collection of BA J and F bags and PJ's going back over 20 years all sealed. A friend of mine wanted a set of the Anya Hindmarsh F bags so that got rid of four or five! I also have a few menus from 90's and reminds me how far BA catering has fallen.
Is there a web site showing photos of amenity kits, menus, etc over the years/decades? If not, this would be a nice side (retirement?) project (maybe on Wikipedia or on here).
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by TheOldMan
sometimes leave them in the hotel room for the housekeeping staff with a note explaining that they are a gift.
This is a brilliant idea.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Some of the Emirates F female amenity bags have been used as an evening clutch bag by me-got compliments on them too
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The amenities themselves get used eventually, either at work or on short trips. My wife likes to keep hers unused in the closet which I shake my head a bit about.

The CW bags are great for tile games like Rummikub. One of the Delta Tumi bags is in my camera bag now holding cleaners and SD cards.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
I actually use some of the contents (usually the hand cream) and donate the bag itself to a charity shop but if you're not sure what to do with the contents, may I suggest posting it to:

BEAUTY BANKS
c/o JO JONES
THE COMMUNICATIONS STORE
2 KENSINGTON SQUARE
LONDON W8 5EP

I think the only problems for them are nail polish, nail polish remover and solvents but otherwise you can box up whatever you have - including hotel toiletry miniatures for those who end up with a load of them - and send them off. A small box costs under £3 to send via second class post at the Post Office. They send them onto charities and food banks for people to use.

1F
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:22 pm

Years ago my young daughter went to a birthday party where all the kids got an amenity bag in their party bags (the host dad travelled on business a lot - none of the other parents did). My daughter thought it was the best party bag ever!
Iamnotlost likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL
My neighbour and I give each other slightly silly but sometimes relevant birthday and Christmas pressies. I have excelled in this department with a hacksaw (stops the borrowing of mine), WD40 (again, stops the borrowing) and the joke book about ways to kill a slug (slightly regretted this one when I was regaled with the various methods over coffee and cake).

A few years ago inspiration had deserted me (translation = I forgot) so I proffered a First Amenity Kit. Emotional thank you as she used to be given them by a travelling parent in days gone by. I tried to look like I deserved the credit I was getting for my "inspired" gift.

Last edited by Iamnotlost; Jan 8, 2019 at 5:00 pm Reason: Poor grammar
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I live in a third world country, and my staff loves them; so I bring them back.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
I think it is fair to say I'm hoarding mine.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Like some here, I have several kits from times past. Some toiletries adorn the "trophy" shelves of my bathroom, where I keep mementos from holidays and hotels.

My question is, how long is it "safe" to use the contents? I swear I keep digging out every winter lippy that must be 4 to 6 years old (don't use too much of it!) and I think I may even have some Molton Brown from my travels circa 2000-2002! There is one bottle from the Time hotel, NYC, where the contents have separated and even with shaking it has lost its place.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I give them to relatives and friends who don't get the chance to travel in Biz.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
I take a box of kits and hotel stuff to local A and E from time to time. Toiletries haven’t been provided to family/friends for some years.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I’m selfish - there are three things I collect, and amenity kits is one of them. A few times I’ve gifted them to friends, but I have several boxes of kits in storage. I have even more boxes of airline glasses.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I collected loads and loads of these 10 years go when I was flying a lot of long haul. When moving house we needed to get rid of junk, so I sold them on TradeMe (I was living in NZ at the time, its the local version of eBay). I was amazed - they went like hot cakes at about NZ20 a pop 10 years ago!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.