Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has BA thought about starting a 2nd daily SYD flight LHR-PER-SYD!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has BA thought about starting a 2nd daily SYD flight LHR-PER-SYD!?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Several decades ago (~1993?) I flew BA LHR-SIN?-PER-MEL. SIN may been BKK. Will still have the ticket somewhere in a storage box. I did join BAEC and got zero avois.
BA used to fly LHR-SIN-MEL until 2006.
The ME3 airlines make it hard for any others, given their geographic position for transits. And now the Asian airlines offer Eu flights.
Many people down the back only consider price.

Only AU & NZ based airlines can fly domsetic flights (for sale) in Australia. And zero chance of that changing.
Over the years several foreign airlines have had flight between Au cities, but not available for sale.
Having been travelling LON-MEL regularly for the past decade, I'm struck (particularly recently) how many options there are. On OW alone, I've got multiple options; CX, QR and MH all offer good connections with their London flights, and while the QF 'flagship' route via PER is usually a non-option as long as I'm paying for my own ticket, in practice their LHR-SYD Kangaroo route connects neatly with their daily MEL-SIN A380 service. (An aside: once QF's A380s are refurbished and their new F lounge open in SIN, for a OWE a SIN layover becomes as attractive a proposition as HKG!). And if I really want to go with BA as far as HKG or SIN, they already codeshare with CX and QF for short onward connections to MEL.

So really, I'm spoilt with options - and there is no shortage of capacity - even before I've started looking at the rest of the ME3 options, and more outlandish ones like connecting in PVG. So absent a killer product (maybe new CW will change this...), it's hard to see how tying up 2/3 airframes on a new LON-MEL route would deliver worthwhile returns for BA...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by BA235

Don’t forget that the BA9/10 were until fairly recently run as LHR-BKK-SYD on the 744. If a similar thing were ever to happen again don’t suppose that the same aircraft and/or slots would necessarily continue to be used for a BKK service that was no longer a terminating route
BA9/10 used to include MEL in the run.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Forget Perth not enough demand as QR EK etc also operste 1 stop LHR services and QF is only making money on the premium cabins for which they are charging $$$$$. As someone alluded to above BKK is the key to either Melbourne or Brisbane (TG) have reduced services to 4 days per week on the latter.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
IIRC, given that MAD is the largest market unserved by a non-stop from SIN, it might not be as crazy as you might think.
I don’t think MAD-SIN is crazy, but I can’t see IB or indeed EI carrying on to Australia. The market is so competitive I’m not sure what the USP would be to outweigh the significant costs. MAD and DUB are also at the edge of Europe from Asia, viz HEL which is naturally better positioned.

My guess would be that *if* there’s to be additional IAG service to Oz it would be BA.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think some time before Qantas announced the launch of this route there was a thread here that pointed out that BA was probably well placed to operate LHR-PER non stop. Economics presumably went against that gamble. More realistic is that Melbourne could be better plumbed into the BA network, such as LHR-BKK-MEL.
That would be a great shout. On the 789.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:43 am

Let's face it, BA aren't innovating so why on earth would they try something like this?

From speaking to someone who I know at QF, they'd love to expand the LHR-PER flight, but slot constraints at Heathrow are their current constraint.

From a cost perspective, they can run two 787-9's for less than a single A380 and for virtually identical revenue.

CHS, MSY and places like BWI, where they're insulated against losses by both airport subsidies and the trans-Atlantic JV, plus high aircraft utilization are the safe way to generate ROIC.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by mastutio
Likewise you can't book BNE-CNS with CX
You can (or could) as an award ticket, but maybe different rules apply to those.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
BA is seriously lacking down under
Is the A350 going to have the range of the 789?

I would more favour a hub and spoke system from SIN serving all the major Australian cities with a 788 linking in from 380s. from london!

NZ definitely needs to be back on the network ? via Santiago:-)
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
I would more favour a hub and spoke system from SIN serving all the major Australian cities with a 788 linking in from 380s. from london!
You might want to take a look at these guys called Singapore Airlines... Or indeed Cathay Pacific in HKG
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think some time before Qantas announced the launch of this route there was a thread here that pointed out that BA was probably well placed to operate LHR-PER non stop. Economics presumably went against that gamble. More realistic is that Melbourne could be better plumbed into the BA network, such as LHR-BKK-MEL.
A little left field maybe but I wonder if LGW-SIN-MEL could be made to work if Gatwick has some 787s at some point in the future. If timed around the same time as LHR-SIN-SYD so transfers between the two services were possible in Singapore, it would open up the Gatwick catchment to Australia as well as Melbourne without using up a Heathrow slot.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally posted by lcylocal:
A little left field maybe but I wonder if LGW-SIN-MEL could be made to work if Gatwick has some 787s at some point in the future. If timed around the same time as LHR-SIN-SYD so transfers between the two services were possible in Singapore, it would open up the Gatwick catchment to Australia as well as Melbourne without using up a Heathrow slot.
If LGW, why not MAN? The ME3 and others are showing that there is a large eastbound premium market from the North-West.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
Can non-Australian operators operate 8th freedom flights in Australia?
No they can’t.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by RGS5526
If LGW, why not MAN? The ME3 and others are showing that there is a large eastbound premium market from the North-West.
I would presume the need for a crew-base would preclude that. Are pilots tied to a specific airport in London, or just insofar as their frame may only operate from LHR...?

A tied up JV type arrangement [MAD-SIN-MEL] would create an interesting network expansion, but it almost certainly presents [at the very least] too much of a commercial gamble to be entertained. The ME3 have the advantage of an entire network from their hub - you can step off your flight from MAN onto a flight to Africa just as easily as you can go to one to Aus. Any such IAG "mini-hub" at SIN wouldn't benefit from anywhere near the range of destinations [at least to start with], so would have to be surviving largely on its own.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by RGS5526
The funelling of traffic into Middle East hubs is completely different from BA's model.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
maybe even an AY HEL-SIN-PER
I've just seen by the way that AY have recently agreed a codeshare partnership with China Southern, launching from April.

Originally Posted by CZ Press Release
The codeshare scheme, which is intended to start in April 22 2019 subject to regulatory approvals, will join the networks of the two airlines so that passengers of both airlines can conveniently transfer to 15 cities in Europe, 8 cities in China and 8 cities in Australia and New Zealand via Helsinki and Guangzhou.
Undoubtedly the trend these days is towards codeshare partnerships making efficient use of other airlines' resources, rather than trying to serve far flung destinations via fifth freedom tags on one's own metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.