Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has BA thought about starting a 2nd daily SYD flight LHR-PER-SYD!?

Has BA thought about starting a 2nd daily SYD flight LHR-PER-SYD!?

Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
has it thought about those? Probably
is it commercially minded? Yes
so will the armchair ceo pontificating on here become anything? No
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Which would be quite an upgrade on the BKK route with the worst flying times and equipment on the network
Don’t forget that the BA9/10 were until fairly recently run as LHR-BKK-SYD on the 744. If a similar thing were ever to happen again don’t suppose that the same aircraft and/or slots would necessarily continue to be used for a BKK service that was no longer a terminating route
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I sometimes wonder if IB or EI could run something like MAD-SIN-MEL or DUB-SIN-AKL, maybe even an AY HEL-SIN-PER. Add in a LEVEL BCN/FCO/ORY-SIN, Air Italy MXP-SIN and the sometimes speculated QF to FRA. Potentially, the IAG/oneworld family would offer a reasonable network of one-stops from Oz/NZ to Europe and give QR better access to the area too.

As as others have pointed out, yields aren’t great for such a long route. I think each SYD-SIN-LHR tripe ties up 2 777s and the trip is something like 10 days, even for MF.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Which would be quite an upgrade on the BKK route with the worst flying times and equipment on the network
Well BKK has similar timings to PVG, PEK, NRT, HND and KIX.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'm sure some back office at Waterside has had a look at it and (at present) found it wanting in either expected passenger numbers or profit.

But the thought of that long a flight in current CW (let alone WT or even WTP) would count as a cruel and unusual punishment.

I shudder to htink what the air quality would be like let alone the damage to passengers body clocks and sanity.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I believe it’s 9 day trip for CC.

IB doing MAD-SIN-MLB with flights similarly timed to BA into SIN could be interesting, perhaps as a IAG joint venture to allow tickets LHR-SIN-MEl and MAD+SIN-SYD; but I’m no airline CEO for sure

i personally don’t wish to spend over 20 hours on any plane without a stretch of my legs in any case with any airline.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I'm sure some back office at Waterside has had a look at it and (at present) found it wanting in either expected passenger numbers or profit.

But the thought of that long a flight in current CW (let alone WT or even WTP) would count as a cruel and unusual punishment.

I shudder to htink what the air quality would be like let alone the damage to passengers body clocks and sanity.
I am sure that a lot of regular economy flyers on that route would not see flying in CW as "a cruel and unusual punishment".
flygirl68, wrp96 and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
I sometimes wonder if IB or EI could run something like MAD-SIN-MEL or DUB-SIN-AKL
Originally Posted by navylad
IB doing MAD-SIN-MLB with flights similarly timed to BA into SIN could be interesting

Some of the ideas in this thread are tending towards the silly end of the spectrum...
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:49 pm

Having to go to Perth is probably the most cruel punishment. Jks.

I would be very cautious if I were BA. Unless the marketing of the flight or novelty can get new traffic there might not be enough pie to go around.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Some of the ideas in this thread are tending towards the silly end of the spectrum...
do feel free to expand on that as to why you think such an idea would be silly.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:23 pm

BA does not have traffic rights on Australian domestic services so they could not operate LHR-PER-SYD. However they do have traffic rights on PER-AKL so LHR-PER-AKL would be possible. Not sure if it would be profitable though.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by x1234
First is the B789 engine issues with RR resolved yet!? I just read that QF's most profitable route and highest load factor is the daily LHR-PER service which continues onto MEL. Since BA only serves SYD daily via SIN how about replacing or launching a 2nd daily via PER!? As far as I can see this reduces the flight time by ~1 hour west-bound against the winds.
Several decades ago (~1993?) I flew BA LHR-SIN?-PER-MEL. SIN may been BKK. Will still have the ticket somewhere in a storage box. I did join BAEC and got zero avois.
BA used to fly LHR-SIN-MEL until 2006.
The ME3 airlines make it hard for any others, given their geographic position for transits. And now the Asian airlines offer Eu flights.
Many people down the back only consider price.

Only AU & NZ based airlines can fly domsetic flights (for sale) in Australia. And zero chance of that changing.
Over the years several foreign airlines have had flight between Au cities, but not available for sale.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Perth is better than its reputation. It was my home for three years, and amongst other things it’s where I learned to like wine. Life in Pomtown was rather enjoyable:-)

The former BA11/12 LHR-SIN-PER flights were always the cheapest option to Singapore, and amongst the cheapest to Europe. Arguably, this was before the mining boom but add me to the sceptics as to whether there’s room for a 2nd nonstop service.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

IIRC, given that MAD is the largest market unserved by a non-stop from SIN, it might not be as crazy as you might think.

In comparison, SQ's SIN-DME-ARN or erstwhile SIN-CBR-WLG might fit the insane moniker more!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
IIRC, given that MAD is the largest market unserved by a non-stop from SIN, it might not be as crazy as you might think.
Wouldn't places like ORD or even CAI be bigger markets not currently served from SIN?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.