Search

Yin and Yang

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Yin and Yang

1st world moan.....

My last J flight was just before Christmas on QR to DOH and BLR. Today I’m in J on LHR to YYZ on BA.

i can’t believe BA still think the Yiin and Yang layout is good for a solo traveller. Luckily today I have no neighbour but still.

Yes I know I have airline choices etc. But this layout just feels so dated. Perhaps I have got too used to the Middle East carriers? Hopefully BA’s next layout refresh will finally address this.

I’m sure this topic has been flogged to death on FT, so please just treat this post as self therapy.

Onwards.....

Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Get a window seat, put the divider up, and you have more privacy than any other J product in the sky, except the Q-suite, no? (Plus perhaps one of the other ME3 if they've installed doors in their J cabin - I can't keep up.)

Certainly more privacy than the herringbone Zodiacs, staggered 1-2-1s and similar from CX, QF, SQ, AA, AY, IB etc
JimEddie and jfallesen like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The new seat has promised direct aisle access.. not sure if it's guaranteed to end the forward / backwards seating. Should be fleet wide in the next 5-10 years
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I guess the issue is getting rid of yin and yang will decrease profits, until lot factors are such that it makes business sense to change, I don’t think BA will.

I oersonally dont mind it. Often have a empty yang to my yin (or visa versa) and would rather that than a 2 seats aside, with limited privacy that you get on most carriers, particularly when many carriers choose to upgrade pax to have full premium cabins.
jfallesen likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
QR J on the a350 has plenty privacy, and avoids the awkward “will you raise the divider or will I” thoughts on the BA 777.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
QR J on the a350 has plenty privacy, and avoids the awkward “will you raise the divider or will I” thoughts on the BA 777.
it’s not awkward at all. Just press the button and up it goes.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Deltus
Get a window seat, put the divider up, and you have more privacy than any other J product in the sky, except the Q-suite, no? (Plus perhaps one of the other ME3 if they've installed doors in their J cabin - I can't keep up.)

Certainly more privacy than the herringbone Zodiacs, staggered 1-2-1s and similar from CX, QF, SQ, AA, AY, IB etc
I would disagree. The new business class suites (with doors) product on DL (called DeltaOne suites) on all of the A350s and some 777s is very private, with a 1-2-1 seating configuration of course, so that every seat has direct aisle access.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’m sure this topic has been flogged to death on FT, so please just treat this post as self therapy.
Flogged to death, resurrected and now unsinkable
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
I guess the issue is getting rid of yin and yang will decrease profits, until lot factors are such that it makes business sense to change, I don’t think BA will.

I oersonally dont mind it. Often have a empty yang to my yin (or visa versa) and would rather that than a 2 seats aside, with limited privacy that you get on most carriers, particularly when many carriers choose to upgrade pax to have full premium cabins.
Agree and whilst I prefer the AA, CX and QR J seats, I will not (cannot) pay any significant Premium for them. So if I have a choice between Ying Yang or Herringone but at 25% extra cost, then it's Ying Yang all the way. Ultimately, it's the ability to lie flat that makes it worth the extra money, although I'm increasingly enticed by good Premium Economy products on shorter long haul sectors, particularly outbound to the US East Coast.
Atlantic 101 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I’m sure this topic has been flogged to death on FT,
Good guess! Fairly easy to find too for a full list of the "for" and "against" arguments if so desired...
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:20 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Deltus

Significantly less privacy than QR J, DL J (A350 + 772) , JL J (77W + 787), KE J, WY J and others I'm sure I'm missing. None of these products require crawling over your seatmate either.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Leaving aside the pro and anti arguments, other than to point out that BA don't have a monopoly on that route by any means, there is another side to this, which may not have kicked in.

If you use CW window seats a lot - and perhaps I'm in this category - you don't half miss it when you are on other airlines. Known as STO Syndrome apparently. For example I know the A350 is a great product, and yes, you arrive fresh as a daisy, and yes Cathay is a great airline too, very good crew and so on. But I do get internally irritated that I can't press a button and stop that breeze coming over my mid-riff, of which there is plenty. I well recall a Qatar service last year on the old 2+2+2 777 layout going from KUL to DOH, I had a window seat and I had a particularly high octane, high maintenance neighbour in the aisle seat, and what I wouldn't give for some sliding glass.....
jfallesen and Mordac like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Much as I am looking forward to finding out more about the new seat, I personally would not mind it being yin-yang as, for some reason, I really enjoy the flying backwards experience of the current seat. And with my Scandinavian upbringing I have not got much problem pressing the button(s) to close the divider(s) to give me the privacy. :-)
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:00 am

Count me a fan of yin yang. I like flying backwards and I'm fine with the privacy. I miss it when travelling on other airlines.
RGS5526 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
It's a flying bed. All boxes ticked.

Of course I might prefer another seat, catering concept, or service standards. But in the grand scheme of things - schedule and price count a lot more for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.