Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yin and Yang

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Even though I am not a big fan of the BA seats in CW, I actually sleep very well,
and besides I have made several friends over the years while the divider is down for the safety briefing
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:25 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
1st world moan.....

My last J flight was just before Christmas on QR to DOH and BLR. Today I’m in J on LHR to YYZ on BA.

i can’t believe BA still think the Yiin and Yang layout is good for a solo traveller. Luckily today I have no neighbour but still.

Yes I know I have airline choices etc. But this layout just feels so dated. Perhaps I have got too used to the Middle East carriers? Hopefully BA’s next layout refresh will finally address this.

I’m sure this topic has been flogged to death on FT, so please just treat this post as self therapy.

Onwards.....

How long has it been since the last moan thread of this nature? No I couldn't be bothered to search either...
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I never have a huge issue with it. Helps that I am shortish and slim (well, also ish, depending on if it's post xmas or not).

And with a little planning, I honestly can't remember the last time I didn't manage to secure both a window seat and more often than not one of those that also has aisle access (yes, BA status helps with this of course). If that were not the case I think my views would change but for as long as that is the norm, I am perfectly happy sticking the divider up and retreating into my hobbit hole for a few hours of (relative) peace. I guess having a toddler makes that even more of a rare and valued treasure nowadays.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:05 am

The main issue I see here is that most posts above focus on the privacy of the window seat. Unfortunately only 25% of seats (apart from upstairs on 747) are window, if you are sat in the aisle or middle pair the whole thing is a lot less appealing. Plus the lack of direct aisle access is a bit 1990s.

Every product has its price though, and to be fair most airlines have their achilles heel. The middle seat on an EK 777 isn't great, and QR is pretty inconsistent fleet wide.
orbitmic and navylad like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
...................Unfortunately only 25% of seats (apart from upstairs on 747) are window, if you are sat in the aisle or middle pair the whole thing is a lot less appealing. Plus the lack of direct aisle access is a bit 1990s.

With most mainstream carriers having long ago initiated an ongoing process of renewal and innovative development within their business cabins, it is indeed the lack of all-aisle access (along with poor storage facilities, in many cases) which perhaps dates BA’s product more than anything. At least it’s the one change that we are guaranteed to see when the (ultra-secret) seat is - eventually - launched, simply because Alex Cruz has himself already stressed this aspect as an imperative.

But in a lengthy piece by the Sunday Times (Dec 30), headed “BA’s long haul to get back on top of the world”, much is made of what will clearly be a very slow roll-out.

from the article :

This time, Cruz’s problem is the small number of A350’s debuting next year. “BA has a fleet of more than 270 aircraft and the four A350’s will have an impact on only roughly 1.5% of BA’s passenger base”, said Paul Griffiths, the British chief executive of Dubai Airports, the world’s busiest global hub.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
The main issue I see here is that most posts above focus on the privacy of the window seat. Unfortunately only 25% of seats (apart from upstairs on 747) are window, if you are sat in the aisle or middle pair the whole thing is a lot less appealing.
Unless, of course, you are travelling as a couple! One of the advantages of Club World is that there is something there to suit pretty much everybody!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
How long has it been since the last moan thread of this nature? No I couldn't be bothered to search either...
I was typing the post on an iPhone, which is a challenge in itself - FT website renders dreadfully on a small screen. Searching was a step too far, especially as I knew there would already be a million threads on the subject. So this is 1,000,001.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Originally Posted by TedToToe

Unless, of course, you are travelling as a couple! One of the advantages of Club World is that there is something there to suit pretty much everybody!
When the two of us are travelling I find it much easier to have any conversation side by side. I hate shouting through a divide as we are too far away for any other option.
I do appreciate that many of the FTers are flying alone as on business but I have now got to the 90% pleasure and 10% business stage.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Stormbel
When the two of us are travelling I find it much easier to have any conversation side by side. I hate shouting through a divide as we are too far away for any other option.
I do appreciate that many of the FTers are flying alone as on business but I have now got to the 90% pleasure and 10% business stage.
So you must love the ME3’s attempt at the likes of double beds. Then aside there are few airlines that offer two seats in J with no form of divide since this would reduce the utility.
Stormbel and TedToToe like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
But this layout just feels so dated.
There's a reason that it feels that way....
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
TBF- AA,s A330 felt very date despite being from this millennia (it very much reminded me of the 80s in its block colour and curves: Thankfully these birds are due to retire this year

Last edited by navylad; Jan 8, 2019 at 5:47 pm
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:57 pm

Must say the yin yang layout is even a tad too close for comfort even for relatives. Was travelling with an older relative recently and was nudged repeatedly for various things like choice of food and drinks... after a few such distracting looks and nudges I too initiated the divider’s upward movement!
Stormbel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.