Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First time in F - before I’ve travelled J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Having flown 10 or so returns London to Sydney over a few years in Y, my employer mercifully changed policy to allow J. For the past year or so I’ve gone with Qantas (in Y), after a particularly horrid experience with BA (Aggressive attendant on BA flight (LHR->SYD))

Now J is available to me I’ve decided to give BA another chance, and while booking the outbound, F was somehow only an extra £200 or so - I thus paid the extra on my own dime just to try it out. F back was thousands more, so stuck to J there!

I therefore find myself in what seems to be the unusual situation of trying the CCR and F class before the ‘first/gold’ lounge and J. I don’t have gold yet (but will do after BA11/15 there), so chose 4K on both.

One worry is being coealic I’m sadly strictly gluten free, and thus can’t take full advantage of the menu. Various searches in this forum and a Google suggests it’s best to keep schtum and read the allergen details on board.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
People flying F before they've flown in Club is not that unusual. There isn't a requirement for you to have flown up the ranks!

I'm not sure why you would want to keep quiet about your illness. If you need a special meal then order one and then at least you'll have something to eat - and the crew on board should be able to offer you other things on the menu on the day once you've checked the allergens - as you can't guarantee anything on the on board menu as being totally gluten free
Ldnn1 and flyerkit like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
People flying F before they've flown in Club is not that unusual. There isn't a requirement for you to have flown up the ranks!
Indeed ! I've flown every cabin, except J ! WT, WT+, CE and F. But no CW. My next three return flights are WT, WT+ and F. Maybe I'll get an upgrade, or a dreaded downgrade.
likethis likes this.

Last edited by chris1922Mk2; Jan 8, 2019 at 2:20 am Reason: correct typos
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:12 pm

BA F is a great experience, BA J not so much in my opinion (unless you're on BA1/BA2). Have a good flight!
fairhsa, CCayley and BA5E like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Assuming process your new status, you should visit the qantas first lounge in Sydney on the way out. Then you'll have both the lounges at each end and F in the middle
likethis and DrGee like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
Indeed ! I've flown every cabin, except J ! WT, WT+, CE and F. But no CW. My next three return flights are WT, WT and F. Maybe I'll get and upgrade, or a dreaded downgrade.
Same here - well, nearly. I've flown on BA2 and had a "broken seat" downgrade, which wasn't representative as I was in a foul mood but got F ground service and meal service.

Just booked an F out/ CW back redemption - maybe I'll get a proper go of CW at last, but I've got my Z class alert set up in ExpertFlyer too....!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I'm not sure why you would want to keep quiet about your illness. If you need a special meal then order one and then at least you'll have something to eat - and the crew on board should be able to offer you other things on the menu on the day once you've checked the allergens - as you can't guarantee anything on the on board menu as being totally gluten free
I’m rather fed up of the totally bland meals, which seem to be combined with dairy free, and sometimes vegetarian too. Often I miss out on packaged items which have ingredients on - cheese, butter, yoghurt, chocolate, ice cream. It’s the main that’s tricky, but there’s an allergen list.

I read though that if you order a special meal, even in F, you won’t be able to ask for anything else on the menu.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
Indeed ! I've flown every cabin, except J ! WT, WT+, CE and F. But no CW. My next three return flights are WT, WT and F. Maybe I'll get and upgrade, or a dreaded downgrade.
Well there you go, so much for assumptions!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are several things you can do here
- you can contact YouFirst when within 3 weeks or so of departure and ask them to send you a PDF of the menu
- you may be able to pre-order the First main course (though I gather this is a bit flakey at the moment, that's to say the IT aspect).
- in view of the late departure of the SIN flight it would be good from a jetlag point of view to eat more in CCR, and the CCR menus/allergens are well indicated. Then just snack on board.
- explain the issue to your First cabin crew member and ask to see Chef's Chat
- don't be afraid to ask for a CW meal if that works better - there is a fair chance this will mean a crew member gets an upgraded meal as a result so that shouldn't be an issue
- get some Joe & Sephs popcorn or any of the other suitable Club Kitchen items in early - this appears about 30 minutes after the CW meal. Or get the crew to hold some items back.
- liquid diet.

Have a good flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA, KLM, Alitalia
My wife is a coeliac, When traveling first you can book your meal before the flight. In the website they give the allergens. My wife was able to pick a main course that was gluten free ( no garanty on traces or cross contaniments ofcourse). Once boarded on the flight it self we asked for the chefs chat. The chat lists all the starters and there allergens. From there we where able to pick a starter and dessert. Breakfast ofcourse is a no no. We packed our own breakfast for her.

It is risky but worked out well twice. Like you she did not want to opt for the same old chicken with no flavour.
In the CCR there was an allergy menu and the staff where very helpfull and she had a bite before the flight. But it also depends on the server who help you. On our return flights we played safe and went with the special meal as you cant pre book your meal.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
For the past several years I have had several RT a year on BA J, almost always TATL. Last year I purchased F for a couple of those trips and was loved the 380 F - prior to this my only F experience was on a older plane ORD-LHR in 2015.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
As a relatively regular J flyer but very inexperienced F flyer, I have enjoyed F, despite it getting panned quite often on here. That said, I would not pay a huge premium for it, as J does the trick if you want sone kip. However £200 extra one way to SYD sounds about right. Enjoy!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Having flown J long haul recently and been completely underwhelmed, I would say paying for the F is a really sensible idea! The F seat I walked past leaving the aircraft last time looked quite similar to some of the J seats on other airlines, but still very nice. Your main problem is going to the underwhelming J on the return!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I had my first J flight on BA over the Christmas holidays and that was only to experience the bubble on the 747. All other BA flights have been In Y (before I knew any better) or F (once I learned to turn left!).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Now that you mention it, I too flew international F before international J (but on AA)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.