Search

Premier or Bust - DOH lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Premier or Bust - DOH lounge access

For some reason my status doesn't appear on my BP from the self-check machines at DOH.

Get to the lounge. Flash my (virtual) BA Gold card. "Your card is Sapphire, please use our business lounge".

There's not much difference between the business and first lounges, but this just annoyed me. Pulled up the BA site. The oneworld site. Showed the lovely green dot. Explained that sapphires are blue* and emeralds are green.

He was having none of it. "Can I see your black BA card, sir?"

I was having a serious attack of the "DYKWCMCI" (do you know what colour my card is). I know there are lounges that only let in Prems. But CCR the DOH lounge definitely ain't. Ho hum.

* I know, mostly blue.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@typical - setting aside the matter of pretty colours / tiers, and any confusion regarding these on the part of the lounge agent, I think the refusal itself was correct - assuming, that it is, you were seeking access to the Al Safwa lounge ?

Al Safwa has always been restricted to departing passengers flying in F class only, with Qatar (there are some complex rules pertaining to arriving QR flights too and transit periods)

QR has stressed in the past that they do NOT regard their Al Safwa lounge as a OW facility.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nope, the oneworld first class lounge.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by typical
For some reason my status doesn't appear on my BP from the self-check machines at DOH.

Get to the lounge. Flash my (virtual) BA Gold card. "Your card is Sapphire, please use our business lounge".

There's not much difference between the business and first lounges, but this just annoyed me. Pulled up the BA site. The oneworld site. Showed the lovely green dot. Explained that sapphires are blue* and emeralds are green.

He was having none of it. "Can I see your black BA card, sir?"

I was having a serious attack of the "DYKWCMCI" (do you know what colour my card is). I know there are lounges that only let in Prems. But CCR the DOH lounge definitely ain't. Ho hum.

* I know, mostly blue.
I'm not sure which First lounge you went to. There are actually two one is called Al Safwa First Lounge which is only available for ticketed First customers (like the Concord Room in T5) and there is a Qatar Airways First Class Lounge which is available for Oneworld Emerald card holders.

If you went to the Qatar Airways First Class Lounge and the agent denied access the agent was wrong and next time you should politely ask for a supervisor.
I can see that some other Oneworld highest tier level FFP member card are black and in other system Gold is just a Sapphire equivalent. Still you should able to go to the Qatar Airways First Class Lounge without any problem. BA has a black card (Premier) but this is not a Tier Oneworld point of view it's the same as Gold.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I wonder when lounge access will go to self-service terminals, less likely to make such mistakes.

Might have been worth pointing out the Emerald symbol on your gold card.

Last edited by navylad; Jan 7, 2019 at 6:45 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:36 am

There's also the Oryx First Lounge and Oryx Business lounges which are for status passengers flying QR/BA Economy. Al Mourjan and Al Safwa are as pointed out exclusively for J/F passengers flying BA/QR. I suspect this is what the OP meant.
When you go up the escalator to The Oryx lounges you turn left for Business and right for First. There are a team of boarding pass checkers directing people where to go. I suspect this is where the OP was having issues.

FWIW having been in both, there really is hardly any difference between them. I think the F lounge side has bubbly (not champagne) on request. Neither are a patch on the QR lounges and are often busy and overcrowded. You really aren't missing out on much if you were mis-directed to the wrong part.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Jan 7, 2019 at 6:46 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Nope, the oneworld first class lounge.
Ok, understood .... in which case, as Krisz points out, you were indeed entitled to access it.

Mind you, there is a widely-held view that it is inferior to Al Mourjan (which I personally would have gone to from the start anyway)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yep indeed - I'm not sure they have that branding any more, just marked "Lounges" by the overhead signs, and "Business / First Class Lounge" behind the desks at the top of the escalator.

There's little real difference indeed (and I've taken myself into the J lounge before to sleep when the high-backed couches and 2 recliners in the F lounge were taken), but the First lounge was quiet today while the J lounge looked rather busier.

I am more baffled about why he wanted the Prem card. Apparently there was already a BA Prem in there!

(Also just on QR Y today, as it's work travel. Only get up front for personal travel...)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Yep indeed - I'm not sure they have that branding any more, just marked "Lounges" by the overhead signs, and "Business / First Class Lounge" behind the desks at the top of the escalator.

There's little real difference indeed (and I've taken myself into the J lounge before to sleep when the high-backed couches and 2 recliners in the F lounge were taken), but the First lounge was quiet today while the J lounge looked rather busier.

I am more baffled about why he wanted the Prem card. Apparently there was already a BA Prem in there!

(Also just on QR Y today, as it's work travel. Only get up front for personal travel...)
I think my only comment about the lounge agent then: there are more jacks then one at the fair.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you all for the indulgence of the rant

Originally Posted by navylad
Might have been worth pointing out the Emerald symbol on your gold card.
I did! Maybe the first time I've repeatedly used the phrase "green blob" in conversation. He wasn't having any of it.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:27 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
The ground staff at DOH are notoriously unreliable when it comes to understanding the rules. I've had to challenge them several times at the Oneworld Business/First lounges when they have tried to point me towards the Business lounge. First time it happened the guy was digging his heels in until his colleague next to him pointed out that I should be using the First lounge. The first guy definitely did not have his happy face on when I thanked his colleague
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:30 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
When I have tried to access the OW Emerald/F lounge, the checkers have always said that I am welcome to use it but that the Al Mourjan is better by some distance. And they were correct.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The rules are very confusing in Doha, and yes there are different rules for different lounges.

You can only use Al Mourjan/Al Safwa is you are travelling on a QR or OW operated and ticketed flight in J/F irespective of status. You can pay for access to both.

The Oryx lounge shouldn’t be confused with the QR First/Business complex at the top of the escalators. This is accessed by lifts opposite the Al Maha lounge.

The QR First/Business lounges are often referred to as the Oneworld lounges, and status applies here as per usual Oneworld rules.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
I wonder if some of this confusion was caused by the colours/tiers QR use and the agent misunderstood the OneWorld colours.
The QR Platinum (Emerald) card is black and QR Gold is only Sapphire.

It doesn't excuse being denied access, but it's all I can think of.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
And the Al Mourjan has the smoking room, yes?

BA Gold/OWE/flying ticketed QR Business. ... so I assume all is good!
1Aturnleft likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.