Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buying the middle seat [as an extra ‘comfort’ seat]

Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold

Sorry i wasnt able to find anything after a search

Can anyone point me to the thread that discusses buying a middle seat on ba for space? Tried this with FR last yr and it worked a treat...dunno if its viable with BA?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Check out this link:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ving-your-seat
CX_newbie likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Buy A Club Europe seat? Its identical to the traveler one, but with an empty seat in the middle.
BOH and abersoch3254 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Apparently, you can contact BA directly and purchase a "comfort seat" at a reduced price.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by camdentown
Buy A Club Europe seat? Its identical to the traveler one, but with an empty seat in the middle.
The CE seat also includes F&B, depending of course on route and time of day. It's closer to the front of the plane and includes other perks such as shorter lines and lounge access. YMMV.

However, the extra coach seat is likely to be cheaper if you can find a cheap coach fare, although at times flights could be selling cheap coach seats and expensive CE of vv.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I'm unclear whether this is a long haul or short haul question, although a direct comparison with Ryanair would be short haul.

For short haul, CE might be useful but you do have (on most aircraft) the table so if the aim is to have much more room at waist level then it may not be the best option. On the other hand it's overall a nicer experience.

The "comfort seat" cost is, I believe, the base fare without carrier surcharge (only applicable to long haul) or APD or airport passenger fees etc. So take £40-55 off the economy passenger fare for an idea of cost of a "comfort seat" on short haul.

On long haul, take about £250 off the economy passenger fare.
FrogTastic and Stez like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Sorry for vagueness of question...

Its based on short haul economy. Wondering..if i wanted CE space..but Economy tps and Avios..wot would cost difference be? Use this to make FR flights more comfortable..and it works a treat...wondered if i can do it on BA?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: Mucci - Diamond Hairbrush
Out of academic interest, is it allowed to buy 2 comfort seats to get a guaranteed row to oneself?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Statusless Person
Out of academic interest, is it allowed to buy 2 comfort seats to get a guaranteed row to oneself?
I couldn't imagine BA would be against you purchasing a row to yourself.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by FrogTastic
I couldn't imagine BA would be against you purchasing a row to yourself.
I agree, You will have more trouble with poachers, movers and gate agents not understanding
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If you fail conformance with that second ticket, BA will give that seat away for (possibly) stranded passengers.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does BA give TPs and avios on the extra seat?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Is the system clever enough to realise that the comfort seat must be adjacent to wherever the passenger is sat, particularly in the case of booking 2 comfort seats and if the passenger has no status/pre-paid seat selection?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does BA give TPs and avios on the extra seat?
No.

No extra Avios, catering (where applicable), baggage allowance, etc. Just space.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:52 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Statusless Person
Wouldn't BA want to discourage this though as it would be a very low cost way of almost having a lie-flat bed on a medium to long-haul flight? Particularly on routes like NYC where often an economy return can be a few hundreds of pounds but a J ticket up at £2.5k plus?

Can it be a non-adjacent seat too as this would be a neat trick of getting a row on a partially full flight. So the pax could buy the aisle as his/her real seat and the window in the same row as the comfort seat. On a partially full flight there would be a pretty good chance of the middle seat being free too - there you would have a whole row and bed for the price of one pax seat and just one comfort seat. What a cunning plan that would be...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.