Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buying the middle seat [as an extra ‘comfort’ seat]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying the middle seat [as an extra ‘comfort’ seat]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by jock
Sorry for vagueness of question...

Its based on short haul economy. Wondering..if i wanted CE space..but Economy tps and Avios..wot would cost difference be? Use this to make FR flights more comfortable..and it works a treat...wondered if i can do it on BA?
I do not know the price of comfort seats, but I have to mention that theoretical seating gives Silver and Gold card holders an empty seat next to them when operationally possible. I've always had the seat next to me free unless the flight was absolutely full
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by thebigben
I do not know the price of comfort seats, but I have to mention that theoretical seating gives Silver and Gold card holders an empty seat next to them when operationally possible. I've always had the seat next to me free unless the flight was absolutely full
I wish I had your luck. Most of the flights I take are very busy - I'd put my success rate at having an empty seat at 25% max.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I wish I had your luck. Most of the flights I take are very busy - I'd put my success rate at having an empty seat at 25% max.
Ouch! I think I'm at 75% right now. It is not perfect but I also end up taking unpopular flights because I live so close to Heathrow, and just fly for leisure.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you don't have status do you also have to pay three lots of seat selection fees in advance?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Basically..Mrs Jock and I would buy 3 seats in Y and assign the middle one as a comfort seat. Bring some food with us..and apart from Tps and Avios...its CE. I would imagine it be cheaper..for almost exactly the same experience. We have Silver status...so we have lounge access..and priority board. Infact this is how we dropped from gold..we just started booking 3 seats on FR...after we found out about this trick.. thus getting similar amounts of comfort...ill keep silver again this yr but just.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I don't recall any threads from people asking for advice when their extra seat was taken away from them when they have booked it properly.

And my that I mean through BA so the correct codes can be added to the booking.

When it goes wrong it's where people think they are being clever and buy a ticket for 'Mr Cello'
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
In cases of transport after being injured, you may need three (economy) seats if you cannot bend your leg or must elevate it in-flight. So for medical reasons, at least, you can get two "comfort" seats, but you could be needing the associated medical approval too.

Originally Posted by warakorn
If you fail conformance with that second ticket, BA will give that seat away for (possibly) stranded passengers.
A "comfort seat" or other second seat is not an entirely separate ticket where this can happen. In fact that is why you must not try to buy yourself two seats without telling BA, because indeed the second seat will no-show and BA will be free to do as it likes - if they don't pre-emptively cancel your duplicate booking before then. You must contact BA to purchase the second seat so it can be linked to your reservation and assigned next to you.

You can also buy a second seat for some musical instruments (cellos, in particular - see https://www.britishairways.com/cms/g...oard-cello.pdf ) or perhaps even more esoteric things like your cuddy bear mascot.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold
I take since buying the comfort seat cant be done online...but only over the phone...you wouldnt be charged a fee? Could u book all of it online..all 3 seats? Be a shame to book two seats..then find someone has bagged ur middle seat..whilst sitting on hold on the phone..waiting to book the third.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:27 pm

Lol what kind of idea. It works until one passenger changes his seat..
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by jock
I take since buying the comfort seat cant be done online...but only over the phone...you wouldnt be charged a fee? Could u book all of it online..all 3 seats? Be a shame to book two seats..then find someone has bagged ur middle seat..whilst sitting on hold on the phone..waiting to book the third.
As it cannot be done online you should be charged a fee. The fee is only waived if you should be able to do it online but can’t due to an IT failure so have to call in.
Many people on here do get the fee waived mind you...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
As it cannot be done online you should be charged a fee. The fee is only waived if you should be able to do it online but can’t due to an IT failure so have to call in.
Many people on here do get the fee waived mind you...
And see, that is where BA is wrong. If they can't provide the facility to make a purchase like that online, then they should not charge for it on the phone. Now if the facility exists online and you insist on calling, yes, have them charge a fee.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Gshumway
And see, that is where BA is wrong. If they can't provide the facility to make a purchase like that online, then they should not charge for it on the phone. Now if the facility exists online and you insist on calling, yes, have them charge a fee.
Just for the avoidance of doubt, the previous poster was just explaining what BA’s actual policy was. Of course in an ideal world BA wouldn’t charge their customers for a lack of capabilities in its online system, but this is a firm which until legally banned from doing so used to charge extra for people to pay with their BA branded credit card.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
If you have comfort seas I don’t believe you can change them online on MMB and you can’t check in online.

They arent that common and the call centres sometimes struggle to price them/book them. I know someone thst booked one on a flight from BCN to LHR and after check in before boarding he was upgraded to 1F however the ground crew were annoyed to the point of being quite hostile when he wanted his original 2 seats as they had been reallocated and the passengers boarded.

All parties had hold luggage in the end my colleague got his 2 seats, one of the couple got 1F and a crew travelling as a passenger was moved to the flight deck.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by JumboJet
You will have more trouble with poachers, movers and gate agents not understanding
That would be my major concern and I can all too easily envisage difficulties if the seat holder asked the crew to intervene.

Out of interest, what proof of purchase is provided for the specific empty seat?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Out of interest, what proof of purchase is provided for the specific empty seat?
Easy way would be a boarding pass for the comfort seat, I have no idea if BA do that or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.