Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: why is T5 so badly connected?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
I guess the HEX is in line with the rest of London's public transport, since it is one of the most expensive cities in the world for commuting.

There was a Channel Four feature on recently that showed that the average train season ticket for a 30 miles commute to London was almost £4000, whereas the same distance of commute to Paris was around £900. And that a season ticket that covered the use of all public transport for the whole of Germany, was cheaper than a season ticket for commuting from Wokingham to London.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Taxi is no quicker than the Piccadilly line for me at most times of the day. Exception is early hours before the tube starts when I can justify expensing the fare.

When I'm going to the airport it always seems to be 7 minutes till a T5 train. Just sitting on the platform now. T1, 2 and 3 are more frequent but depending on your terminal is a bit of a hike at the other end.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:08 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aristoph
Living in the City I try to avoid LHR for short-haul flights, preferring LCY, LGW and even STN, but sometimes needs must. .... How did BA build a flagship terminal at its hone base and not insist that it would be the ground transportation hub?
Some people simply don't realise how lucky they are in terms of public transport options!

I live just 40 miles outside central London. I get a basic bus service that doesn't go anywhere particularly useful (one per hour during the day, nothing in the evening, nor most of the weekend). Plus I get the pleasure of using South Western Railways - now pretty much the worst and least reliable train company in the whole of the UK. I can't even get an Uber out here!

How anyone can claim that Heathrow is badly connected to central London when you have the option of frequent tubes, HEX and bus services is something I struggle with. Time for a reality check I think!
Scots_Al and Jimbojumbo like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Never had an issue with bags on the Paddington line. No worse than any other public transport option. Much better than the train to the city from MEL for instance. ;-)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying12345

By the time I’ve got an uber to Paddington, lugged my bags down to the platform, waited for the train and then got off the train and lugged my bags at the other end, I really don’t think the difference is more than 10 minutes (35ish vs 45) and it’s certainly less convenient than being dropped off by the check in desk. I live very close to Paddington too, for other people it’s surely faster to get a cab. The exception being in rush hour, when I agree the train wins every time, although in my experience the taxi still doesn’t take more than an hour, even on a busy Friday evening.
The main attraction is that I know the HEX schedule and I know exactly how long it will take to get to T5, even at 5pm in the evening. A cab during peak hour is a less certain proposition, particularly if you like to minimise unnecessary travel time. Outside of peak hours I really don't have any preference one way or the other, but that's the whole reason the price is jacked up during peak hour.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:45 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by George Kyriakos
As a resident of one of the outermost southern London boroughs (Sutton), I’ve long since had a gripe with T5's accessibility via public transport.

There is no rail option that I know of, and the nearest tube option would translate into a bus ride to Morden, with long ride into London and then back out west again after changing at Green Park or thereabouts.

There is a very good direct bus service (X26) which takes you to the central bus station, and really, T2 is literally there. To get to T5 from the central bus station, I could go to the T2/3 underground and then go one stop down. I’ve been quite unlucky every time I’ve tried that, with waits averaging about 10 minutes. There was this one time that I was told that the next Piccadilly train would be 25 (!) minutes. Moving between terminals via HEX is out as it involves a bit more walking.

I could change from the X26 at Hatton Cross and get on to another bus to T5 from there, but this goes to T4 first and you’re looking at another 20 minutes at best while making all the glamorous stops down the Southern Perimeter road. I once spent 45 minutes on the way to T5 from Hatton Cross as the roads around T4 were positively rammed.

This is what I felt when I read this thread.

T5's public transport is OK from Central London and if you live along the train lines. (The Piccadilly line to T5 could be more frequent if the Rayners Lane branch was transferred to the District line, which may or may not be happening in the future. Personally if all terminals had been planned at the same time as the tube I would have built it as a bidirectional loop around Hatton Cross-T4-T5-T123-Hatton Cross.)

Where T5 fails is in bus connections. I frequently travel to LHR by bus but all the useful buses go to T2-3 only, requiring either a long trek into the tube station, and a wait of up to 20 minutes whenever one train is diverted or reversed early (and the info boards are not reliable), or the 482/490 bus which takes even longer. Funnily enough the easiest time to get to T5 is when the N9 is operating.

Going to Sutton, I wonder if you could do tube to Wimbledon (relatively easy change at Earls Court when compared to Leicester Square/Embankment) followed by either the Sutton loop Thameslink (now much improved and easy to get live running data from 3rd-party sites) or a combination of buses and/or trams (now can change between several services without an extra fare). Assuming not too much luggage obviously.
George K likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
What I a comparing it to when I say that the London transport system is thus not less large UK cities but rather other "first world" metropoles - Paris, New York City, Tokyo, Moscow, or even other European main cities such as Berlin, Budapest, Copenhagen, Zurich, etc all of which have a much denser, effective, and cheaper urban transportation network especially when you count all rail infrastructure (ie train, tube, and tram).
Given that the starting point of this discussion is connection of the airport to the network, I am not convinced that main airports are better connected to the public transport infrastucture and offer more frequent and seamless connections in all of these cities than in London.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Getting there ... slowly!

1964 Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) recommends reservation of the median of the Dulles International Airport Access Highway for a future transit line in Master Plan.
Dateline 2019
Scheduled to complete
Phase 2 construction will be complete in the next five years. Opening dates to be determined by the Metropolitan Washington Area Transit Authority
>>> Dulles Airport
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
Given that the starting point of this discussion is connection of the airport to the network, I am not convinced that main airports are better connected to the public transport infrastucture and offer more frequent and seamless connections in all of these cities than in London.
that was indeed precisely the point of my previous post. The public transport situation of London is generally bad imho but I was commenting that the situation of lhr is comparatively not so bad, and that at least the tube goes there, from the city centre which, for instance, is not the case of txl, bru, or ory.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
Originally Posted by :D!

Going to Sutton, I wonder if you could do tube to Wimbledon (relatively easy change at Earls Court when compared to Leicester Square/Embankment) followed by either the Sutton loop Thameslink (now much improved and easy to get live running data from 3rd-party sites) or a combination of buses and/or trams (now can change between several services without an extra fare). Assuming not too much luggage obviously.
I have yet to try this, mostly because Google maps estimates around the same travel time with the bus but will certainly give this a go next time I land at T5. I've got quite a few flights in short succession actually and wanted to also try to connect to T2 via the shuttle bus and clear immigration there (something that I've never done) and see if this shaves some of the faffing of moving between terminals landside.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The public transport situation of London is generally bad imho
I disagree: I think London has one of the best public transport systems of any major city in the world. And, despite frequent claims to the contrary, it costs about the same as public transport in my home city, Berlin.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
Number 8 bus. 10 minutes. Non-stop. Less than a fiver. T5 works for me
orbitmic and navylad like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by Misco60
I disagree: I think London has one of the best public transport systems of any major city in the world. And, despite frequent claims to the contrary, it costs about the same as public transport in my home city, Berlin.
Absolutely this. Yes, things on the Tube can go wrong from time-to-time, traffic congestion causes delays to the buses and we need weekend engineering works to continue bringing Victorian rail infrastructure up to modern standards. But the sheer volume of people we move every day in London, safely and generally punctually, is phenomenal. The Tube has just, in the run up to Christmas, had its busiest day ever with 5 million people travelling and we move even more than that by bus. Tube headway targets are consistently met 95+% of the time across most lines, with the poorer performers still in the 90s and due to be upgraded over the next decade. We remember the odd journeys where things go wrong but generally not the majority which are performed exactly as intended by the transport provider.

Yes, things aren't perfect but the only people who could claim London has a genuinely poor public transport system are those who don't use it regularly, choosing instead to closet themselves away in taxis and minicabs, causing further congestion on the roads and slowing down the buses.

KT

P.S. I agree HEx is ridiculously expensive for what it is but the Piccadilly line and TfL Rail are good, reasonably priced, alternatives.
P.P.S Western Rail Access to Heathrow is finally progressing so there's at least some light at the end of the tunnel for those accessing the airport from the west.
dsf, adrianlondon and Misco60 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Misco60
I hate to keep this thread so ot but...

A monthly travelcard zone 1-2 (the cheapest) costs £135. Even at today's awful exchange rate, that is over €150. An annual travelcard is £1404 (well over €1,500)
In Berlin a monthly travel card is €81, annual is €761
In Paris a toutes zones monthly carte Navigo is €75.20. Annual one is €827.20
In Rome monthly passes range for one zone are €24.50 and annual is €172 (only slightly more for zones 1-3)
In Madrid, abonos zone A (€54.60) or A-B2 (€72), annually, it is €543 and €720 respectively.
In Stockholm, all zone SEK860 for a month (~£75), not sure about annual.

In terms of your finding London one of the best public transport system in the world, I have of course no problem with you making that argument but could I ask what you base it on? The two main criteria I've seen used are affordability, average commuter travel time, and coverage, measured, as rightly noted by Jagboi, by the proportion of houses with given distance of stations. As mentioned though, unfortunately, the figures that Jagboi saw were badly mistaken, and in fact London compares very, very negatively to all the competitors above (not to mention the likes of Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, or Moscow) on all three criterion, so it would be good to know which other criteria you have in mind if only so that I can cheer up my many friends living in East and South London.

* PS: i'm not aware that station closure at various point in the day is a criterion I've ever seen but I know it also annoys many people when trying to head home from Covent Garden, Holborn or several city stations when they finish work at peak time).

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
But the sheer volume of people we move every day in London, safely and generally punctually, is phenomenal. The Tube has just, in the run up to Christmas, had its busiest day ever with 5 million people travelling and we move even more than that by bus. Tube headway targets are consistently met 95+% of the time across most lines, with the poorer performers still in the 90s and due to be upgraded over the next decade.
Originally Posted by kingstontoon

I would whole-heartedly agree with your point if we compared London to Birmingham or Nottingham, but how do you think this compares to Paris, Moscow, let alone Tokyo or even NYC? As for targets, they are not an international standard of any sort, just that, targets set by London for a slow improvement of a situation known to be problematic for many.

Don't take me wrong, there is plenty done to try and improve the life of Londoners, chief among which the 24 hour tube which is a brilliant initiative. The network, however, remains largely what it is, not anyone's fault in particular (at least not today) but when big cities try to look for an example of network to emulate, London is just not what they focus their eyes on.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 7, 2019 at 5:36 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I hate to keep this thread so ot but...

A monthly travelcard zone 1-2 (the cheapest) costs £135. Even at today's awful exchange rate, that is over €150. An annual travelcard is £1404 (well over €1,500)
In Berlin a monthly travel card is €81, annual is €761
In Paris a toutes zones monthly carte Navigo is €75.20. Annual one is €827.20
In Rome monthly passes range for one zone are €24.50 and annual is €172 (only slightly more for zones 1-3)
In Madrid, abonos zone A (€54.60) or A-B2 (€72), annually, it is €543 and €720 respectively.
In Stockholm, all zone SEK860 for a month (~£75), not sure about annual.
you are of course aware that London is much bigger than those cities, if you travel further it costs more (generally unless it’s a mistake fare on CX). And to make a true comparison, you’d have to consider the amount of subsidy in the system (you can have a cheap annual pass but if they money comes from paying more tax, you are no better off).

So, getting back on topic, Heathrow is well connected, with train, express train, tube, bus, coach, hourly one-way car hire, taxi and easy motorway car options, less so to those outside of London. This is historic due to the way the airport has developed and, despite what Borris will tell you, it is difficult to build a new airport capable of taking wide-body aircraft Serving London.

There are better connected airports, but I don’t think LHR is terrible.

Last edited by navylad; Jan 7, 2019 at 5:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.