London Sydney reward booking

Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive club
London Sydney reward booking

Hi all, I wonder if I could get some advice from the reward flight gurus out there? I’ve recently retired and I have a reasonable stash of Avios built up. I’d really like to celebrate with a business class flight from London to Sydney and back. However BA seem to have pretty much zero availability. I think this is a well known problem, but does anyone out there know the best way of making a reward booking on this route?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Nick
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
In short, you need to be looking to book your outbound as it becomes available 355 days in advance, and then hope that return seats open up a few weeks later that you can add to the booking.
Be prepared to stay up late to grab the seats as they are released (about midnight ish).

if you are tied to set dates, consider if you could use Avios to get you most of the way, such as to SIN or KUL and then purchase further tickets from there.
Anonba likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Unfortunately the answer is to book the second the seats are available which is midnight GMT 355 days before the flight.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
I'm a lucky guy, but just to give a data point that it's not totally impossible... I found LHR-SYD via HND on JL F and QF J for early Dec 2018 and MEL-LHR also via HND on JL J and BA F on New Year. Both booked in feb 2018, so well after T-355. And I even managed to swap the return to QF F and BA F on A380s via SIN when availability opened up in the last 2 weeks!

Moral of the story is be flexible with dates, carriers and connection airport (SIN, KUL, TYO, HKG, DOH). Of course, if you're trying to use a companion voucher then you're stuck with ba metal via SIN or only using the voucher for the first half of the itinerary and using a partner airline for the second half.

​As I say, I'm quite lucky so YMMV!​​​​​​
hugh2 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by njames879
Hi all, I wonder if I could get some advice from the reward flight gurus out there? I’ve recently retired and I have a reasonable stash of Avios built up. I’d really like to celebrate with a business class flight from London to Sydney and back. However BA seem to have pretty much zero availability. I think this is a well known problem, but does anyone out there know the best way of making a reward booking on this route?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Nick
Have to say SYD is probably the hardest route to get Avios availability on then maybe CPT/JNB after that.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would agree that SYD and CPT are tough..but JNB can be very easy off season. I was looking in June and there was a broad choice of dates and cabins with at least 9 CW seats on some flights.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by s1362083
I'm a lucky guy, but just to give a data point that it's not totally impossible... I found LHR-SYD via HND on JL F and QF J for early Dec 2018 and MEL-LHR also via HND on JL J and BA F on New Year. ​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Anonba
Have to say SYD is probably the hardest route to get Avios availability on then maybe CPT/JNB after that.
Not trying to show off but... also managed to nab F to CPT, and return from JNB for peak Easter 2019 dates, booking around July 2018. Did I mention I'm quite lucky?

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I would agree that SYD and CPT are tough..but JNB can be very easy off season. I was looking in June and there was a broad choice of dates and cabins with at least 9 CW seats on some flights.
Agreed that JNB is not too hard.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Male has to make the top 3!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: I'm not that important
having just booked a trip for September this year, i agree with the above comments. i was up at 0100 booking flights, but did find "plenty" of choice/reward availability. Maybe consider flying in out of BNE, and get a connecting flight!

I'm flying back out of SYD via DOH to the UK with QR
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Not that this helps the OP but I'm very grateful for being GGL. Managed to get 2 F seats to SYD for Easter, booked yesterday, using Amex241, Gold Upgrade for 2 and a "Joker" - so came in at 275k avios (going peak and coming back off peak) plus Ł700 tax each. Which I was very pleased at! I sometimes despair at BA, but this time, I couldn't fault them!
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I think it depends on the routing you would be prepared to take. I have booked LHR-SYD but was limited to BA metal because I needed to used a 2-4-1 voucher. It was a case of being up at 0100 on the phone to book the return at -355.

If you have more Avios or don’t intend to use a voucher there are numerous options via KUL/SIN(QF)/HKG/TYO/DOH/BKK, or even via LAX with AA. The only thing is you need to search leg-by-leg. Don’t forget the “regional” departures from the likes of Manchester, Cardiff and Edinburgh on Qatar and Manchester on Cathay. For lower taxes Cathay also fly from Dublin and Amsterdam.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:17 am

It really depends on the routing.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:37 am

This probably won't help but the other alternative is last minute bookings sometimes come up if you're REALLY flexible.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
As others have mentioned, due to the 2-4-1 Amex voucher, it's almost impossible to get all the way to Sydney on BA. I'd check if you have enough Avios to travel with BA as far as SIN/HKG/KUL and then look to book the onwards leg using Avios on a partner airline such as Qantas, Cathay, Qatar.

In my experience BA availability to HKG is generally good and the onwards flights with Cathay are particularly enjoyable. If you wanted something unusual, SCL is also possible if you think you might enjoy splitting your journey there. There should be nothing stopping you having different outbound and inbound routes which often helps. It is time consuming doing the research though, and you will have to tell the BA website around 1000 times that you're not a robot - get ready to have to identify an incredible number of store fronts, traffic lights, buses and road signs.
s1362083 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njames879
I’ve recently retired and I have a reasonable stash of Avios built up. I’d really like to celebrate with a business class flight from London to Sydney and back. However BA seem to have pretty much zero availability.
Originally Posted by s1362083
Moral of the story is be flexible with dates, carriers and connection airport (SIN, KUL, TYO, HKG, DOH). Of course, if you're trying to use a companion voucher then you're stuck with ba metal via SIN or only using the voucher for the first half of the itinerary and using a partner airline for the second half.​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Anonba
Many threads on LHR SYD awards. And others on UK - Australia awards

Just looking for LHR SYD restricts your options a lot.
And look at other UK airports, not just LHR.
Oneworld airlines UK Australia (via Asia/ME) are BA QF QR CX MH JL UL. And ex Eu offers more routes.
Australian airports BNE SYD MEL east coast, ADL and PER in the west. CNS has CX flights from HKG.
CX serves more Australian airports with international flights than QF. But QF has more flights in number.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.