Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Business class from Chambery to London City - what a fraud

Business class from Chambery to London City - what a fraud

Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Quite frankly (and I know this will tick off alot of Europeans), European J is virtually the same as Y with perhaps a blocked seat.
Why would this "tick off" us Europeans? We know this to be the case - in fact, I'd go further and say that European J is exactly the same as Y with (sometimes) a blocked seat. The relatively low prices we pay for short-haul J (if we choose to pay, rather than sit two or three rows further back for less than half the cost) reflect this.
nancypants and thebigben like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

Yes, the head rest covers really should be added to the official list of CE benefits.

I seem to recall an episode of the wacky ‘Come Fly With Me’ comedy series where the FA - aka Matt Lucas - responds to a complaint from a passenger (“are you really sure this is business class ?”) by retreating to the galley and emerging with a white linen headrest cover, which he then carefully places in position as the sole distinguishing feature of the seat ...... whilst apologising profusely for its omission at time of boarding.
Come now - this was the fictional low cost airline 'Our Lady Air' - the business class head rest cover you saw was most certainly the cheap, use-once, 'just thicker than a Kleenex' paper type that is seen on some airlines. It was not the high quality padded linen affair that I come to expect as part of my Club Europe experience!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but...:

1. I don't know the specifics of Chambery, and I agree that (in the abstract) it would be nice if all out-stations did offer a separate priority check-in queue (per what BA advertise): in real life, though, this would probably have made very little difference to you: by the time those priority queues have soaked up all the CE passengers, plus Gold, Silver and Bronze (and OW equivalents) and accompanying parties...often the queues are just as slow if not slower than the regular queues. Holiday airports seem especially bad for this - the other week the "priority" queue at TFS was so slow we just jumped across to the regular queue and got checked in before half the people in front of us in the "priority" queue: so I wouldn't bank on having a "priority" queue as actually saving you any time.

2. This is FT so I'm going to assume someone has already picked you up on this...but BA really don't promise no infants in business class, and in no class of travel can they control how parents do or do not entertain or manage their kids. Adding the lap infant to your list of grievances rather undermines the rest of your argument, I'm afraid. If you really don't want to see children when you're flying, you should fly private rather than commercial.
Tiger_lily and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ratypus
sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but...:

2. This is FT so I'm going to assume someone has already picked you up on this...but BA really don't promise no infants in business class, and in no class of travel can they control how parents do or do not entertain or manage their kids. Adding the lap infant to your list of grievances rather undermines the rest of your argument, I'm afraid. If you really don't want to see children when you're flying, you should fly private rather than commercial.
I agree it's not for an airline to manage parenting, but is it fair that anyone for any reasons plays noise through speakers and not headphones. I think CC should intervene and stop this. But I'm sure outraged from mumsnet will be along shortly to explain I'm sort of child hating Nazi.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
3. BA does not offer a priority bag service
I believe they advertise it though. Every time I check a luggage, I get the priority tag added (as a Silver, or flying Club). Does it work? Nope, hardly ever, but it's advertised as a benefit.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Except there is no empty middle in CE on Cityflyer, it's literally just the same seating as in economy with an antimacassar.
OOh - I loooove those things. Salted caramel ones are the best ;-)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alex67500
I believe they advertise it though. Every time I check a luggage, I get the priority tag added (as a Silver, or flying Club). Does it work? Nope, hardly ever, but it's advertised as a benefit.
It isn't advertised as a benefit, and on the oneworld website there is also a note that BA do not offer priority baggage

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges

Priority baggage handling
As a Sapphire frequent flyer you will also receive Priority baggage handling when travelling in any cabin on an eligible oneworld flight, giving your baggage priority handling from aircraft to carousel. (Priority baggage handling is not available on flights operated by British Airways.)
However, I would agree that adding the silly priority tags can lead to an expectation of some priority handling and therefore it would be much better if they didn't bother using them to start with.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by fairhsa
It was NOT an economy seat with an empty middle seat. It was an economy seat, period. The aircraft was one of those small ones, whole cabin was 2-2. I had the previous week done a club europe business class flight from Rome to Heathrow with husband in Economy, so I do know what the standard club europe is like (compared to any Asian regional J). But this was NOT that. It was even less than that. Hence my complaint.
How come you were up the front and poor hubby was sat in the back? Just curious.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by fairhsa
So a CE flight (Rome - Heathrow) a week earlier does not constitute adequate research? The two flights were night and day different.
To be honest, you needed to research the aircraft type. CE on an Airbus is worlds different to CE on an E190. That would have at least given you a clue as to what cabin service/layout would have been provided.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

To be honest, you needed to research the aircraft type. CE on an Airbus is worlds different to CE on an E190. That would have at least given you a clue as to what cabin service/layout would have been provided.
people shouldn’t have to research what kind of aircraft is flying a route to have an idea of what kind of service they will receive.

All that said paying £200 for CE when you have status and no need for TPs is daft in the extreme from my POV!
Misco60 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

people shouldn’t have to research what kind of aircraft is flying a route to have an idea of what kind of service they will receive.

All that said paying £200 for CE when you have status and no need for TPs is daft in the extreme from my POV!
I do. Maybe I’m just a bit OCD about this stuff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.