Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Business class from Chambery to London City - what a fraud

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business class from Chambery to London City - what a fraud

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:00 am

Fairhsa, you wanted to treat your husband to a business class flight and the experience was a disappointment. That's not a good feeling. By posting your experience on FlyerTalk others can learn and offer helpful suggestions. That is a good thing.

As CWS pointed out, BA are not alone in offering this type of service. Sometimes I choose to pay for Embraer 2-2 layout flights knowing that the seats are identical to Y; yet other benefits makes this worthwhile with some airlines. The question I ask is what can BA do better to ensure customers are not disappointed on such routes? Can they be clearer on their website? They have made some improvements in recent years but have further to go. Research is important, yes. FlyerTalk has a wealth of information and opinions to tap into. Do people need to have a doctorate in flying in order to make a booking? There are steps BA can take to avoid bitterly disappointing customers like Fairhsa. It's in their interest to do so.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
BA do state on their website that Club Europe to London City offers the same seats as Euro Traveller to London City.

Cold comfort. Shame about the food, LCY has previously always enjoyed better standards...

Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: British Airways Exec, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
some paragraphs / page breaks would be nice to help distinguish between what BA offers and what the OPs expectations were.

I'd say this

1. BA does not promise a wider seat in CE

2. You were given a CE meal. Just because you didn't like it does not mean BA was at fault. It cant be responsible for your personal taste.

3. BA does not offer a priority bag service
3 is interesting as when travelling CE in the summer our bags were giving a BA First Priority label.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Jammers20
3 is interesting as when travelling CE in the summer our bags were giving a BA First Priority label.
They put them on, but this doesn‘t mean that they are handeled that way.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nancypants
the orange priority tags on BA are well documented as only being there to make pax feel special

(as an aside, my experience with QF priority tags has been similarly useless. Are there people who actually rely on the bags being delivered first??)
It just blows my mind that BA don’t use separate bins for priority luggage on short haul, but have the hide to put faux-priority tags on the bags which essential trick frequent fliers who don’t have intimate knowledge of BA’s operations. Even I only realised this recently and I am LHR based and fly over 200,000 miles a year (and wondered why my bags always came out last when flying BA).

Annoyingly QF does use separate bins to my knowledge, but they seem to be intentionally off-loaded in reverse order.

Fly LX/LH into BA’s home port of LHR and First Class/HON bags will almost without fail come out first, then Business Class/*G bags, then the rest. With precision.
SK and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I think BA can be a bit naughty sometimes as with some CE features it’s “where available”. Whilst regular members of the Flyertalk community know the lounge database at time of booking it’s not clear what is and isn’t included and it’s only on MMB or in the description of CE that you find it’s the same seats.

Interestingly a €10 voucher was given in lieu of lounge.. this is quite rare but I would certainly feedback the difficulty in redeeming this as I would do the lack of J check in. Busy changeover day or not BA should stump up for appropriate handling.

Lufthansa and Swiss do (or did) block the seat next to you in business class on their E190s and Avrojets where’s BA choose not to, That said if you are travelling on a BACF E190 which has 2 x 2 seating you have some of the most generous legroom in Europe even rivalling mainline Club Europe from Heathrow. And you will get complimentary refreshments including alcohol depending on flight duration and time of day,

Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:44 pm
Suspended

I note Skywork Airlines are no longer operating Berne to LCY, is there an opportunity for BA here?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
When booking a CF flight from Chambéry to City, this is what the website says that you will get:
  • Guaranteed window or aisle seat

• 2 x 32kg checked baggage allowance

• Complimentary onboard meal suited to the time of day and length of flight

• Dedicated check-in area

• Complimentary bar service including champagne upon request

• Contoured leather seat with guaranteed window or aisle
So the website clearly describes the dedicated check-in area as a benefit for this flight. I'd ask for a Ł50 refund per person as you had to queue for some time. If BA fails to pay, MCOL it.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Interestingly a €10 voucher was given in lieu of lounge.. this is quite rare but I would certainly feedback the difficulty in redeeming this as I would do the lack of J check in. Busy changeover day or not BA should stump up for appropriate handling.

I think it's a nice gesture from BA for flights operating out of smaller airports with no lounge facilities. At Rotterdam, for example, BA gives Emerald/CE passengers a gift card for the restaurant in the departures terminal. After a night of drinking in The Hague an egg and bacon panini and barista-made espresso on BA is very welcome indeed.
Sealink and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by warreng
I think it's a nice gesture from BA for flights operating out of smaller airports with no lounge facilities. At Rotterdam, for example, BA gives Emerald/CE passengers a gift card for the restaurant in the departures terminal. After a night of drinking in The Hague an egg and bacon panini and barista-made espresso on BA is very welcome indeed.
Totally agree but before Krakow got Lounge access for example you pretty much got nothing, there’s not been much on a Flyertalk about vouchers being issued so I assumed it was the exception as opposed to the rule to give out vouchers.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Totally agree but before Krakow got Lounge access for example you pretty much got nothing, there’s not been much on a Flyertalk about vouchers being issued so I assumed it was the exception as opposed to the rule to give out vouchers.
It may be an "ask and ye shall receive" perk at a lot of CityFlyer destinations without lounges but I've had pretty good experiences at the ones I frequent.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I think it's a nice gesture from BA for flights operating out of smaller airports with no lounge facilities.................................
Based on this from the OP’s report, the gesture proved sadly to be more empty than nice :

There was no lounge and the measly Euro 10 voucher was not accepted at the only place in the airport that sold food .........”
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
This is why CE is considerably cheaper on LCY flights. Shocker, I know. People expect to get gold at lead prices. I took the Ł79 POUG on my HBO fare for the extra luggage, a couple servings of champagne, and a meal on board as I knew I wouldn't have much time to eat before and after the flight.

Result? I'm pretty happy. Got some TPs to start the year, hauled back three pieces of luggage, and got good service on board. Even gave away my first golden ticket to the CSM on the inbound as he was really experienced and it showed in the service.

LCY flights don't seem to do well with priority luggage, but I know some locations where it works. Basically, it depends.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Never understood why a "voucher" is a nice gesture. You're paying for this as part of your ticket price. I would prefer that the fares are adjusted to the fact that there is no lounge instead of locking me in to use some nasty airport cafe.
Sealink and redeyedonkey like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by mario
Never understood why a "voucher" is a nice gesture. You're paying for this as part of your ticket price.
Are you though? BA can only offer access, whether through frequent flyer status or ticket class, to its own lounges (or by extension, those of its partners). I can tell you now the lounges at LHR and LGW are not subsidised by shorthaul CE fares. If BA were to start opening lounges at every little airport that CityFlyer services then you could expect to start paying a lot more for CE tickets.

Hence why the voucher is a nice gesture that says "it's not worth opening a lounge here for 2 E190 flights a day but have a coffee on us".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.