Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA A380 positioning from Heathrow to Gatwick

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor

XLEB currently inbound to Gatwick. Maintenance visit?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:33 pm

It’s visiting LGW prior to heading off for maintenance in Manila. Apparently something to do with the availability of slots at LHR
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Originally Posted by MFCC
It’s visiting LGW prior to heading off for maintenance in Manila. Apparently something to do with the availability of slots at LHR
many thanks. Sure the BA schedulers know best.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
On the way to Manila, LGW doesn’t have a night time flight ban and allows the aircraft to arrive in MNL at a good time.
MFCC beat me to it.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:57 pm

Its Manila not Heathrow that's the main issue. Manila only accepts A380s for 30 mins per week. To achieve this it would have to leave LHR during the night jet ban which isn't allowed hence the overnight at Gatwick.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
30 minutes a week?

Talk about a narrow window!

So 10-15 landings in 30 minutes (based on 2-3 minutes between each)
mrow and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:14 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Its Manila not Heathrow that's the main issue. Manila only accepts A380s for 30 mins per week. To achieve this it would have to leave LHR during the night jet ban which isn't allowed hence the overnight at Gatwick.
Am somewhat curious to know why there is a 30 minute per week restriction?
florens likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BOH
Am somewhat curious to know why there is a 30 minute per week restriction?
I suspect it is due to the disruption it causes. There are 2 runways at NAIA, but mostly it's a one runway operation, and ATC seem to me incredibly cautious - they most certainly aren't running aircraft through every 50 seconds. Takeoff queuing at MNL is every bit as tedious as LHR or JFK.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:08 pm

Come think about it, I remember reading, somewhere internally, that the A380s en route to Manila would often stop at Clark field, wait there until the window opened, then hop to MNL. This LGW stop might be a good way to avoid that if the plane doesn't have to go to SIN beforehand for a flight.

Yet again, proof of how much of a clumsy affair is to deal with the A380 from an operational point of view.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
How roomy is MNL airport? If it is one of those places where the runway can take an A380 but the taxiways are close enough together and many of them too small to take an A380, it could significantly disrupt their ground operations to have the behemoth shambling around the airport while lesser craft have to cower at the sidelines lest they be crushed... or something like that
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
i completely misread this and thought that due to BA cost control..30 mins was the time for the maintenance!! I was thinking...blimely how do you get maintenance done in 30mins?!

Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by 13900
Yet again, proof of how much of a clumsy affair is to deal with the A380 from an operational point of view.
It’s not as though the only a380 upkeep facility in the world is MNL. I can see why QF chose them as they are both offering a good deal and convenient to them, but perhaps in the case of BA that choice is a bit more inconvenient?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:35 pm

I believe it causes too much disruption taxiing, so must arrive around 2am or similar

Previously they've been organising to swap out with an A380 service at SIN. Even that was a challenge as they haven't been able to leave the A380 at Changi for long periods - using KL or Clark to wait to leave to/from MNL
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Come think about it, I remember reading, somewhere internally, that the A380s en route to Manila would often stop at Clark field, wait there until the window opened, then hop to MNL. This LGW stop might be a good way to avoid that if the plane doesn't have to go to SIN beforehand for a flight.
Lol, that's insane, Clark is so close it's like another LHR-LGW run haha.

It really is amazing that a plane was designed with seemingly no regard for existing infrastructure. I'm not old enough to have a good perspective on 747s, but maybe it was the same for that? Every time the 380 comes in here at YVR, taxiways have to be closed and only 1 gate I believe is still equipped (it MAY be 2 now). I remember we got a diversion to/from SFO one night and it turned into a whole thing of "crap we need to move a 380 from the gate to the pad cuz only 64 can handle it"...just nuts.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Bad for the climate flying empty A380's 6000 miles for maintenance. Bad for jobs doing the same thing (ask the ship builders on the Clyde (Trump has the right idea here at least)). Maybe one day people will realize the folly of it all but by then will probably be too late

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.