Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA A380 positioning from Heathrow to Gatwick

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA A380 positioning from Heathrow to Gatwick

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:57 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
To be fair, isn’t the maintenance actually a Lufthansa Technik base rather than Phillippine Airlines?
Yes, it's Lufthansa. I was surprised to see such a large Lufthansa hangar when I landed. In retrospect, of course, it makes a lot of sense.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Thanks for your input 13900

this is simply why I love Flyertalk

out ur of interest did IAG ever consider building mx infrastructure for the A388 fleet or was it always discounted ?

also are current facilities at CWL/LHR able to accommodate future deliveries?

cs
I doubt anyone had but for a very cursory glance. As Porky Speedpig says the fleet's too small for a full-blown hangar with all the trimmings and tools; plus, there's the issue of CWL not having enough space (I hear some work is being done by BAMC folks in some other hangar in the regions due to lack of bays).

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
To be fair, isn’t the maintenance actually a Lufthansa Technik base rather than Phillippine Airlines?

Yes. And believe me, even in the 'Pines LHT is everything but cheap.

Originally Posted by Deltus
Are you saying that the formal British Airways position is that they too think it is staggering to send fish to China for filleting? I must have missed that press release
Yeah, that's what Alex said to me the other day in the queue for coffee!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
When I saw this thread title, I had images of a jumbo jet being towed along the M25!
Mordac likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
When I saw this thread title, I had images of a jumbo jet being towed along the M25!
They actually had to do this with HST power cars when the Dawlish Sea Wall collapsed a few years ago. Made for a rather incongruous site, but I suppose not as much as an A380 would!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
IAG doesn't operate enough A380s to make a maintenance facility viable -
Nor do Lufthansa but lookey there, Lufthansa Technic don't just see maintenance as a cost, it's a business opportunity.....
Oh those crafty Germans !!
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:08 am

It's for maintenance purposes nothing else, The A380 is for LHR.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:51 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Nor do Lufthansa but lookey there, Lufthansa Technic don't just see maintenance as a cost, it's a business opportunity.....
Oh those crafty Germans !!
As do many other airlines. Delta comes to mind for doing a lot of outsourced maintenance for other airlines.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 13900
We then settled on SIA Technics over in Singapore, but this was then changed to LH Technik in Manila. Don't really know why; I suppose costs were a factor, but - and this was a big surprise to me, knowing SIA - I hear quality also played a part.
One A380 was put back together so bad by SIA, it went straight into a Hanger once it landed in LHR to be pulled apart and put together right by BA Engineering which took quite a few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.